HillBuzz has two things to say about this:
(1) This is the single worst rendition of the national anthem we have ever heard. Seriously. And that includes Roseanne Barr’s.
(2) This video alone would cost Obama Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, the South, and, basically, any state with high percentages of families whose sons and daughters are serving overseas. We at HillBuzz have friends in uniform: it physically hurts to see him standing there, so casual, adrift in his own thoughts, while everyone around him pays their respects.
It’s shameful. Truly shameful.
Why doesn’t Barack Obama put his hand on his heart while the national anthem is played?
The presidency is not a prize to be won or lost, but a sacred trust burdened with awesome responsibility. The President of the United States is more than the person sitting behind the Resolute Desk in that Oval Office — it is bigger than anyone in this race. The President of the United States is a symbol, worldwide, of all that is good and great about this country.
Say what you want about George W. Bush. Heck, HillBuzz says things all the time! But, we’ll give Dubya this: he might not be the sharpest president we’ve ever had; he might not be the best president we’ve ever had; he might not rank much higher than Harding or Harrison in the end; BUT, Dubya gets one important thing…even George W. Bush knows the importance of American symbols.
He honors them. He knows what they mean to people.
And, most importantly of all, George W. Bush knows the presidency is larger than himself. He knows he is a temp employee in a government job, and he does in fact respect that office.
HillBuzz can’t think of another presidential candidate, in history, who didn’t honor the flag, the national anthem, and the other symbols of this nation.
© 2008, HillBuzz. All rights reserved.
Help HillBuzz by Shopping Amazon
I look forward to your comments. Please follow these simple guidelines:
- Please do not complain about your comment not yet showing up
- Stay on topic of the article ("This is OT, but..." = bad!)
- I will STING if you troll, spam, bait, swear or attack someone