Posts Tagged ‘2016 RNC Live Stream
What: Day Two of Republican Convention in Cleveland, 7/19/16
Stream: Using either YouTube for GOP official stream or CSPAN stream to watch online
Why: Real time notes as convention unfolds, starting at 430pm CST on 7/19/16
1. If you enjoy these live streams of the convention, let me know in comments. I don’t mind doing this every day for people who are not able to watch the whole thing and would like a summary as it’s happening. I’ll also Tweet shorter comments throughout if you’d like to follow on Twitter too.
2. Here are the speakers scheduled for tonight:
3. CSPAN really is a terrific resource. In addition to the live stream, they have historical postings about past conventions as well, including videos of past speeches. They only go back to the 1980s from what I can see, but maybe they have other years on there too. We’re really at a point where culturally the 1980s are becoming ancient history to a lot of people and Millennials are 90s-minded, so anything before Reagan is being forgotten it seems.
4. I don’t know if I am enjoying this convention more than others because it’s being held in my hometown or if I enjoy it because it’s just so much better than a typical convention. I love that the Bush Family and McCain/Romney boycotted it. All sorts of other terrible people I don’t like have also stayed away. I wish Paul Ryan didn’t show up and I hope he gets booed. Looking at the list of speakers, I am most interested in what the Attorney Generals are going to say. Hope they talk about FBI Directory Comey and the decision to look the other way regarding the crimes he admits that Hillary Clinton committed with her email server. I am also looking forward to hearing from Donald Trump’s son and daughter and Ben Carson (whom I hope is the next Surgeon General). Chris Christie will be a great speech too. I hope he is our next Attorney General.
5. I hope that Trump announces who he’d like his Cabinet to be. It feels like at least two Cabinet members will be speaking tonight (Carson and Christie). Trump could legally say who he’d like to be in his Cabinet by saying “someone exactly like Chris Christie for Attorney General” and “someone just like Ben Carson for Surgeon General” without breaking any election rules of offering positions to someone during a campaign. But it would be nice if for the first time in history the American public was given an idea of who would fill out the Cabinet before deciding on the President. In reality, when the public elects someone to the presidency, they are choosing who will fill all those other positions by nature of the fact that the person they choose for the top spot fills out everything else. Why can’t Americans have a better idea of what their choice means? I like the notion of Trump coming forward and showing what he’d like his administration to look like. This way, Americans have a better idea of what their future would be like for the next 4 years with the various people who will be making the news by running various federal agencies.
6. It’s 430pm CST. Getting my CSPAN on. They are showing people in the convention hall wearing funny hats, I guess representing their states. Going to something like this is totally not my kind of thing at all. I just think it’s all so wasteful and don’t understand the need to travel to one place to do all this stuff, but that’s just me. I also don’t know why it needs to be an entire week. Are regular people (who don’t follow politics closely) really watching this? To me, money would be better spent producing a really good documentary movie and then having the networks all air it. Each side would make a movie and have their speeches. The networks could show Republicans’ movie one night. The next week they would show the Democrats’ movie. The parties could have the movies available on YouTube too. And no one would have to wear silly hats and spend all that money traveling. But, again, maybe I don’t understand the joy of wearing silly hats as it’s not my thing.
7. There are a lot of white people enthusiastically dancing badly to a mediocre band playing “Keep on rolling.” This is like any ticketed street festival in Chicago where there is an admission price during the summer. It will only be suburban white people wearing crisp resort wear, holding drinks, and dancing like this (some with silly hats). It’s such a Chicago thing.
8. A lot of Hillary for Prison signs in the crowd. It really makes my heart sick what Hillary did to herself, and by extension her loyal supporters from 2008. In a just world, Hillary would have had to go before a grand jury of citizens who would have decided if she should stand trial. Instead, the Establishment decided to circle wagons and not prosecute her. In my opinion, only a grand jury should have made that decision. I also feel strongly that Director Comey, if he was a decent man, should have resigned on July 5th in his speech. He should have stood there and said that he was pressured to not recommend prosecution of Hillary…and that since he took an oath when he joined the FBI that he could not longer serve in an organization that had been so corrupted. He should have made history that day, calling on every honest FBI officer to resign along with him in protest. Can you imagine the historic moment that would have been? If thousands of FBI agents/officers had walked out of the Hoover Building? Hillary Clinton would have been forced to withdraw from the race that day. It would have been like the ending of The Pelican Brief movie. July 6th, Loretta Lynch would have been pressured to resign in disgrace. By the end of the week, I think the good FBI people could have been brought back, the bad apples involved in the pressuring of Comey would have been rooted out, and the Senate could have called hearings to start cleaning up the Justice Department. Men today have no guts and no testosterone and nothing below the waist these days. They are all so timid. Just imagine if Comey had been a real man from another era and how he could have altered history by bringing down Hillary, Lynch, and the corrupt Justice Department that day. What a missed opportunity.
9. Reince Preibus opens the convention. Cleveland Police Color Guard presenting flags. A bunch of people dressed up in ethnic costumes came onto the stage for some reason to do the Pledge of Allegiance. I kind of think the ethnic stuff needs to be put away once people come to this country. When you become an American citizen, your nationality becomes American. If you were born here, your nationality is American. Wherever distance relatives of yours lived 100 or 300 years ago is irrelevant. Save the ethnic costumes for Halloween. Wear red, white, and blue instead.
10. 450pm CST Paul Ryan is speaking. UGH. I can’t stand him and I want him to lose his primary race, but I still think he is handsome. I hate myself for thinking he is handsome. I think nerdy is sexy though. Curse you Paul Ryan, for simultaneously being sexy as well as terrible. No wonder you remind me of my ex Harvey (who you can read about in SHUT UP! The Bizarre War that One Public Library Waged Against the First Amendment).
11. Jeff Sessions gives nominating speech. Nation is falling apart. Government says you need to be politically correct. If you complain, then you will be attacked. One man, Donald Trump was not intimidated. He would not be silenced. He spoke the truth. He gave voice to the people’s concerns. He said that the trade deals have hurt America. We must secure our border. That our nation must be strong. That we must defeat Islam. We just restore law and order. We must support our courageous and good law enforcement officers. The American voters heard this message and they rewarded Donald Trump’s courage and leadership with a huge victory in the primaries. Trump dispatched one talented and fine candidate after another. Momentum and a movement started. Democrats and independents responded. Trump received more primary votes than any Republican candidate in history. Sessions talks about Trump he knows: wonderful family that he loves. He is courteous and generous. He is positive by nature. He has tremendous energy and strength. He is a warrior and winner. He loves America and wants to see it be a winner again.
12. Chris Collins (NY) speaks next. China and Mexico are stealing our jobs. Time to take back our country and make United States great again. President Trump will build wall and secure our borders. He will defeat terrorism and make our country safe again. Trump will bring back our stolen jobs. Western New Yorkers know that Donald Trump is not a candidate but a movement. He seconds Sessions’ nomination of Trump to be the 45th President of the United States of America.
13. South Carolina Lt. Governor speaks next. He was the first elected official to endorse Donald Trump. He seconds the nomination as well. Talks about 12/7/1941, after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese admiral realized all they did was awaken a sleeping giant. But the giant went back to sleep. In recent years, the world lost confidence in the US. Weakness, decline, chaos and oblivion. CS Lewis: men without chess, haunting words. 8 years of incompetence, arrogance, and disrespect for rule of law. American people have had enough. I’ve had enough. You’ve had enough. We’ve all had enough. It’s time to act. We are going to act. The sleeping giant of the American giant has been awakened and is sounding the call to make America great again. Trump is remarkable man. Strength, accomplishment, vision. He will win the ferocious battle ahead. Have you seen Trump with people at the rallies? They wait 8 or 10 hours just to be able to meet and see the man. People cry, WE LOVE YOU DONALD and he says he loves them too. He gives autographs, smiles, and enjoys posing for photographs. He loves his wife Melania. He loves his family. He is walking away from a business enterprise because he loves his country and he wants to go to work for us. We are awakened. We are filled with resolve to fight and win. There’s something happening here. What it is is precisely clear. We will make America great again with Donald Trump.
14. ROLL CALL OF STATES: I actually really enjoy watching this, hearing all the states, seeing the people chosen to speak. This is one of my favorite parts of the convention.
Alabama (50 delegates); talks about football teams and hollers, home of Saturn 5 rocket to moon, place with two great Trump rallies. 36 votes for Trump.
Alaska (28 delegates); largest state in union, more coastline than any other, energy, Arctic, fishing tourism, God Bless Alaska last frontier. 28 votes Trump
American Samoa (9 delegates); hello world and hello America, southern most reaches of US soil, greatest exporter of NFL players, whole kit and caboodle of 9 delegates to future President Donald J. Trump
Some of this does start to feel like one of the Star Wars prequels. Where George Lucas took the action to the Galactic Senate for votes on trade negotiations.
Arizona (58 delegates); hottest state for job growth. 58 votes to Trump.
Arkansas (40); land of opportunity. Birthplace of Johnny Cash and Al Green. Republicans control almost all offices. Unemployment at lowest in history. Best duck hunting. Rice production. Catfish. World cast trout. Cast 25 votes for Donald Trump.
California (172); shouting WE WANT TRUMP, important for our sons to have good jobs and hope for future; safety in communities; Donald Trump is candidate that can provide hope and opportunity of true America. 172 votes to next President Donald J. Trump. God Bless you and God Bless America. WE WANT TRUMP WE WANT TRUMP WE WANT TRUMP This speaker was awesome!
Colorado (37); the state where plains meet the mountains, Denver Broncos, centennial state votes 4 votes to Donald J. Trump.
Connecticut (28); manufacture Pez, submarines, and WWE, all 28 delegates to Trump.
Delaware (16); first state to ratify constitution, diverse state of millennial candidates will win control of state legislature, all votes to Trump.
District of Columbia (19); delineated by Washington, graced by Lincoln, home of Frederick Douglas, 9 votes to Kasich 10 to Rubio. But that does not follow rules so 19 votes go to Trump. People got MAD when they tried to give delegates to other people than Trump.
Florida (99); sunshine state, Disney World, Florida keys, Daytona racing, 600 miles of beaches, paradise where you vacation but we live, home to veterans. State that gave LeBron James first two championships. Cannot win presidency without Florida. All 99 votes to Trump.
Georgia (76); peach state, number one state for business and business growth, Governor Nathan Dale, 42 votes for Trump. There are weird pauses sometimes when someone at a table is writing things. Not sure what they are doing on the stage.
Guam (9); tip of the spear of American might; home of B-1s and B-52s keeping America’s enemies at bay; place where tourists from Asia come to get a piece of America in Asia. Where America’s day begins, Guam…9 delegates to Trump.
Hawaii (19); Aloha from Hawaii. From Maui to Kauai, Trump 11 delegates.
Idaho (32); famous potatoes. Most Republican state in US. All statewide officers Republican. Red state. Proud to cast votes. 12 votes to Trump. More confusion at the table for some reason. There is shouting in the background.
Illinois (69); says Bruce Rauner is best governor. 54 delegates to Trump. Then the guy hooted like Howard Dean until microphone cut off.
Indiana (57); talks about Hoosiers and Pence. 57 votes to Trump.
Iowa (30); go hawks!; home of two hardest working US senators Grassley and Ernst and longest serving governor in history, Brandstad. 30 votes to Trump.
Kansas (40); home of world series champs Royals; home of iconic Bob Dole; 9 votes to Trump. I think they are checking the math or something with an abacus at the table.
Kentucky (46); home of Churchill Downs and American Pharaoh; largest Toyota plant; Chevy corvette; bourbon fit to drink in world; citizens respect God and constitution and military and police; 17 for Trump. Then there’s a pause as math is done at the table. Why didn’t they do math before now?
Louisiana (46); something about terrabone parrish; BUILD A WALL and restore national sovereignty. 31 Trump
Maine (23); forests lakes, state with 1 remaining federal Democrat; began Republican revival in Northeast; leading New England to greatness again; 9 votes Trump
Maryland (38); Chesapeake Bay; oldest state capital, birthplace of anthem, Naval Academy, Baltimore Orioles, alls 38 votes to Trump
Massachusetts (42); outperformed polls for Trump; Parson Hicks casts votes: guess what..we may be bluest state but 22 votes go to Trump. We will watch him make America great again come November.
Michigan (59); a woman who sounds like a Valley Girl says that Michigan passes. WEIRD
Minnesota; 10,000 lakes, SPAM, late great Prince. Longest drought since casting electoral votes for Republican. 8 votes for Trump
Mississippi (40); birthplace of music, 25 votes to Trump.
Missouri (52); says it is home to the Royals. St. Louis Cardinals, Birthplace of talk radio at Voice of St. Louis; home of Phyllis Scholarly; birthplace of ragtime and Roy Blunt; 41 votes to Trump. That’s what I’m talking about.
Montana (27); grateful to God for quiet beauty and grandeur of mountains and rolling plains. Secure liberty for future generations. 27 delegates to Trump.
Nebraska (36); the good life with great opportunity; corn huskers; find happiness from honest work and word is bond. 36 to Trump
Nevada; where blue lives matter; brought to statehood by first Republican president; what happens in Vegas will not stay in Vegas. We will cast our votes. The guy speaking weirdly called Vegas the capital of Nevada, but it’s not. 16 to Trump
New Hampshire; Corey Lewandowski. No income tax. First victory to Trump in primaries. 11 to Trump.
New Jersey (51); Chris Christie’s son Andrew is cute! 51 delegates to go Trump.
New Mexico (24); Susana Martinez speaks. Says culture is diverse and amazing. Land of enchantment. First female hispanic governor. 24 votes to Trump.
New York (95); PASSES…weird! I think they want to go at end to seal the deal.
North Carolina (72); long leaf pine, wheat grows strong, military installations, majestic Appalachian mountains fastest growing state economies; home of Billy Graham; party founded by blacks and whites; 10% of black colleges are in NC; 29 votes for Trump
North Dakota (28); Governor Dollripple (sp?); home of the current and 5-year SCS football champion bisons; home of national hockey champion U North Dakota hawks; only state to grow younger; 21 votes to Trump
Northern Mariana Islands (9), weather is 85 all year long; 7,000 miles away, first territory to endorse Trump. 9 to Trump
Ohio (66); my beloved Home State; Cleveland the city of champions. OH-IO. Mother of Presidents. 66 votes to Kasich. Which is stupid, but whatever.
Oklahoma (); second home to the Ryans for some reason. Jana Ryan must be from there. Has lots of Republicans in office. Energy and agriculture to fuel and feed country and world. All 77 counties will go to Trump. 24 votes to Trump.
Oregon (28); land of unrivaled beauty, mountains, deserts, pinot noir, cheese, hazelnuts, trees, soccer team Timbers; track town USA and Nike made ducks and beavers cool (what?); fight against Democrat corruption from crooked governor to crooked Hillary; 23 votes to Trump
Pennsylvania (77); keystone state, penguins, defers to New York and to Ed Koch (what?)
New York; the Empire State. Home of Donald Trump. First state to cast majority of votes for Trump. 61 of 62 counties with 60%+ Donald Jr and Ivanka are there! Tiffany too. All the Trump kids. Say New York will be in play. Not a campaign anymore, it’s a movement. Trump reaches total needed…89 delegates. Congratulations dad, we love you says Donald JR. The Trump kids look so proud, so happy. On 7/19/16 at 613pm CST, Trump officially becomes Nominee. New York, New York plays. His kids put him over the top, which is so cool. That’s why the other states deferred, to make this happen.
Then people danced for a long time, with the music playing. It’s official. Donald J. Trump is really the nominee. It still feels like BizarroWorld, but it’s true.
Puerto Rico (23); wants to be 51st state. 23 votes to Rubio because he speaks Spanish like they do.
Rhode Island (19); they are wearing little sailor hats. 1631 colony. Religious toleration/separation church state/ocean state. Beautiful there. Government is not working for people. State run by corrupt Dem machine for 80 years. Ranked near bottom. 50th worst in business climate. Dam leadership rampant with corruption and against transparency. Sounds like what Megan and went up against in Orland Park here near Chicago. 12 votes to Trump.
South Carolina; claims to be true peach state; palmetto state; Charleston city, Myrtle Beach; Boening, BMW, all 50 delegates to Trump
South Dakota (29); home of crazy horse, mount rushmore, 29 votes to Trump
Tennessee (58); the volunteer state, no income tax, balanced budget, surplus, top 5 jobs growth, auto manufacturing; Repub governor and 2 Senators; 2/3 majority in state legislature; pro-life state; 33 votes to Trump. Make America Great Again. Nobody was paying attention at the table so they had to repeat everything. Don’t they have this written down somewhere?
Texas (155); Greg Abbott got burned and couldn’t be there; a man who looks just like Jeb Bush is talking; 12th largest economy on planet; no Democrat won state office since Ann Richards defeated in 1992; they say they love Ted Cruz. I think Ted Cruz is creepy but I can’t place why. Something is wrong with him and he is hiding something but i don’t know what. Says that on November 8th Trump will get phone call from Hillary when she concedes the race. That’s an interesting image to keep in mind. Texas = 48 Trump
US Virgin Islands (9); 5 territories where Americans are denied rights; Alexander Hamilton’s home; emancipated slaves, no passport required to visit Caribbean St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Something else (St. Johns). Make America and Caribbean great again. 8 votes Trump and one could not make up mind.
Utah; has priorities straight, God and country; #1 state for job creation, most reliable Republican state; Trump will get highest percentage from Utah. Always Republican now and forever. 40 votes to Cruz. I hope one day we find out what Cruz’s secret is. His face shows he is hiding something. I do not know what it is and it puzzles me.
Vermont (16); home of Coolidge; nominated in Cleveland in 1924 with running mate from Ohio; don’t expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong; 13 votes for Trump
Virginia (49); they have a man with heavy Hindu accent; I can barely understand him. He calls the state Wah-geen-ee-a. If you can’t understand someone, maybe he’s not the right person to be speaking into microphone. No matter how much you want to seem supportive of diversity. Need someone who speaks clearly without heavy accent. 17 votes Trump.
Washington (44); these people are wearing Christmas trees on heads; state of volcanoes and wheat fields and christmas trees; home of Boening and 100th anniversary. Builders of jets. Named after first president. Proud to nominate Trump to be 45th president. 44 votes for Trump.
West Virginia; holds up coal miner’s hat; says Obama Regime has destroyed coal industry and taken jobs over last 7 years. Need Donald J. Trump. Son of coal miners. Let’s get ready to rumble. First state in the US to recognize Melania Trump as the next First Lady of the United States. Looks better in a dress than Bill Clinton. Home of some golfer. Other guy who played football. Mountaineers. Walk proud. State to put 34 delegates behind Trump. Clean slate. Let’s go get him.
Wisconsin; recognizes Preibus and Ryan. Scott Walker, America’s Governor. Scott Walker is really handsome too. Home of Republican Party, Harley Davidson, Packers. Did you know that Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is gay? A good way to figure out who is secretly gay is to look at who has been dating Taylor Swift. She is professional beard. Not sure why straight people never can figure this out and not sure why she does this, but she does.
Wyoming; home of mountains and coal and energy titan. Super red state. All kinds of Republican stuff. State’s rights. Religious liberty. Supports law enforcement. Want to defeat Hillary Clinton. Gives Trump 3 votes.
Michigan (remember they passed); I think this woman talking is a Romney or something. Her name is Romney-Something. Home of Gordy Howe. Motown. Cast 51 votes to Trump. I think they passed before so that New York could have the numbers to put Trump over the top.
Pennsylvania (71); will deliver deciding 20 electoral votes. 70 votes to Trump. TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!
Geesh. This went on for two hours! It was fun, but which more people wore silly hats to represent states and costumes and things. Or had the Miss Ohio or Miss Alabama or Miss Whatever be the person dressed in state costume to give speech instead of random people.
15. Paul Ryan is shushing people like they are small children. I don’t like that. It’s creepy. He’s a grown man. They are all adults. No need to speak to them like they are children. Paul Ryan always has a weird look on his face, like he’s just had sex somewhere. I think people are booing him. They are shouting about something. Other people are shouting USA USA USA. Lots of Make America Great Again signs. Ryan asks if anyone wants to change their votes. They are turning on Connecticut’s microphone. Wait, Alaska. The Alaskans are mad that they do not get to cast their votes for other people. They don’t want all votes to go to Trump. Alaska wants to poll its delegation. Convention staff will supervise poll. Paul Ryan sure is handsome. He is an awful person and bad Speaker. But damn is he handsome. I want him to lose his seat, but know we will never have a Speaker this handsome again. This is why gay guys should never do the hiring. We hire male strippers for things…or people like Paul Ryan who are handsome but then sellout. While this kerfuffle continues, Earth Wind and Fire music starts playing so white people can dance badly some more to old music.
16. This delay is going on for a while. They are playing a song called Shake Your Booty at the Disco. Most people alive right now have no idea what a disco was. 705pm. Paul Ryan does the SHUSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH little children thing again. Then Reince Preibus comes out to talk about Da Rules. He’s wearing a green tie and sweating like Rodney Dangerfield. He is trying to explain rules. He is trying to explain to Alaska that when the other candidates dropped out then their votes went to Trump under Alaska rules. Alaska starts shouting. Paul Ryan talks to them like a stern father and they are his bad children. They hate it.
17. 1,725 votes to Trump. 475 to Cruz. 120 to Kasich. 114 to Little Marco Rubio. 7 Carson. 3 Bush. 2 Paul. Speaker Ryan calls him “Donald Gay Trump” I think on purpose. He then bangs gavel and declares Trump the nominee. Everyone cheers and shouts USA USA USA and TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP. 710pm CST it is totally official now. Trump is the nominee.
18. The YouTube feed from GOP cut off. So back to CSPAN feed.
19. Mitch McConnel speaking now. Talking about Vice President nomination. Then some guy from Indiana comes out and talks about Pence. He looks like either Walter Mondale or the manager of a Greek diner, I can’t tell. He says he is Mike Pence’s best friend. He nominates Pence for VP. Mitch McConnell looks like a Macy’s Parade balloon of Richie Rich’s father from the cartoons. I came around to Pence really quickly. I still wish someone fun had been named VP, someone awesome like Allen West. But it is what it is. This means that Hillary has no pressure to pick someone cool and will probably either pick a boring person or that lizard creature Julian Castro.
20. CSPAN’s feed got really slow and froze, but YouTube is back up now. So switched back. It’s still great I can do all this without a tee tee though.
21. 719pm. Band is playing Oh Domino. Which is a nice plug for a great book I love and am telling everyone about. DOMINO by Kia Heavey. It’s like Animal Farm. About how the West is being colonized by Third World and suicidal altruists in the elite are letting it happen. Story told from point of view of a cat trying to stop his world from being destroyed by colonizing rats. You should check it out!
22. Speaker Paul Ryan back again. 722pm CST formally declares Trump/Pence the Republican ticket for 2016. Then he walks away abruptly.
23. Someone from Vermont speaking. He says he is Catholic and pro-life. He’s wearing a tie with big white clouds on a red field that makes him look like a clown, which was an interesting choice for the one time in life he will be on national television before millions. He offers up a prayer.
24. A woman who looks like Markie Post from Night Court is speaking. She’s saying we need to win the election. Well, thank goodness she did this. No one knew we had to win the election before she came to speak. Calls her Crooked Hillary, says all she does all day is lie. Says Hillary just wants people to vote for her to make history. Plays the gender card. Goes after her for paying women less than men. Says Hillary lied to military families. Took money from foreign countries that enslave women and treat as second class citizens. Support killing the unborn. Viciously attacked character of women who were abused by Bill Clinton. The auditorium erupts at that. Wants woman president one day. But says NOT THAT WOMAN, not today not now not ever. America deserves president they can trust. Worthy of being commander in chief, does not lie directly to the American people. Donald J. Trump will be better than Hillary could ever be. Join together as citizen activists. Stand together as daughters and sons of liberty and fight the oppressive government. God Bless everyone. God Bless America.
25. Dana White, president of Ultimate Fighting. Cute cute cute cute cute. Thank you whoever put this man on camera. Says Trump stood by him, encouraged him, helped him grow his business when no one else believed in him or his business. Trump will encourage businesses to succeed. He is a hard worker. He will work with people. He will put in time to get things done. Loyal and supportive friend. If he needed Donald, he would be there for him. Can tell a person’s true character when they are happy for someone else’s success. Needs someone who believes in country and will fight for country and be proud of our country. This guy is great speaker. Has been in fight business. Trump is a fighter. Will fight for this country.
26. Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson at 734pm CST. He says he knows from personal experience what Hillary Clinton is like. He has been in office under 6 presidents. Strength, boldness, and new energy do not describe Hillary. She always wanted more government and her dreams have only gotten bigger. She wants more of same. Failed leadership. Failed top down approach to healthcare. Same nanny state regulations to strangle America. If you liked the last 8 years then Hillary will give you double for the trouble. In Arkansas, creating jobs, lowest unemployment in state history. This is my boyfriend Justin’s home state, Arkansas. Hutchinson says experience matters. Judgment matters more. Hillary poor decisions produced bad results. Just think about it. Hillary radical attempts at reform of nation’s healthcare would have been more destructive than Obamacare. Bad judgment in Benghazi. Clinton Foundation weirdness. Commander in Chief needs to be someone who people trust, not extremely careless in handling classified material. Hillary presidency will be dangerous. Trump presidency will be about the art of the possible. Trump/Pence are right leaders.
27. Attorney General of Arkansas now. Leslie Rutledge. Says sometimes Hillary talks with New York accent, sometime with a southern accent. But Arkansas knows who she is. Rutledge is first female AG of Arkansas. Same office Bill Clinton held when they launched their careers of corruption. Hillary says she was poor leaving White House. Says she is still poor in decision making. Says laws do not apply to her. This is a great speaker. She really hits hard. Why did Hillary take speaking fees from overseas. Hillary would lie even if the truth would serve her better. She just likes to pathologically lie. Rutledge broke the glass ceiling in Arkansas. Don’t need Hillary to do it now. Women care about jobs, economy, national security. This election will shape SCOTUS for generations. Do you want Antonin Scalia to be replaced by Leftist? Trump will support rule of law and rein in federal bureaucrats. Frankly, Hillary needs to go to her own house and not the White House. She can take Ruth Bader Ginsburg with her. It’s time to update your resumes. Trump growing jobs and America will be closed to overregulation and open for business. This woman was GREAT. Felt like future president herself.
28. Former US Attorney General Michael Mukasey. Talks about Hillary mistreating secrets. This is a case against her presidency. She sent and received secret information on a private email system in stead of government system. Without authorization. Then she lied about it. She said that she was told to take batteries out of phones and leave things on the plane when she went to foreign countries, but she didn’t listen or care. She wrote about these things in her book. Chose to use private email overseas in hostile countries with hacking capability. FBI could not figure out if it had been hacked but thinks likely. People she communicated with were hacked. She lied about Benghazi too then said what difference does it make? Makes a big difference. US is only country founded on the law. The Constitution. Hillary Clinton is running for presidency defined by Constitution. Most important power of president is Commander in Chief. Requires president to ensure laws faithfully executed. President must swear to oath to faithfully execute office and preserve, protect, defend Constitution. Hillary took similar oath. But she ignored it. She is asking people to make her first president in history to take Constitutional oath after having been proven to already have violated it. The message to her should be loud and clear and short: NO WAY, HILLARY, NO WAY ON EARTH.
29. Businessman Andy Wist from New York. Grew up in Brooklyn. 140 employees. Too many people out of work now. Things are a mess. Who is going to fix it? Hillary? After 30 years her only accomplishment is beating the rap every time she breaks the law. Trump is builder. he is leader. He will make America work again. I am not a big important person. I am just a regular guy. This November we get to decide what world we leave behind. I want our children and grandchildren to be able to live American dream. Only way we keep it alive is by electing Donald Trump president. He was a very interesting guy.
30. Ron Johnson from Wisconsin next. What different at this point does it make? Ron Johnson is the guy who asked her the question of why she did not call the survivors? Instead she lied to the American people. Lied to family members of those killed in Benghazi. Looked them in the eyes and lied. She continues lying now. If we can’t trust her to tell the truth, how can we trust her to lead America? Let me tell you what difference it makes. We need peace through strength, not withdrawal. He lists all the recent Islamic terror attacks around the world. Islam’s slaughter and brutalizing of innocent victims. When will America actually confront Islam? We won’t if Democrats win in November. Running against Russ Feingold. Only Senator to vote against giving law enforcement equipment. Feingold wants a fourth term. Too dangerous to elect either of them. America needs strong leadership to jump start economy. Strengthen economy. Secure borders. Must defeat Islam. Destroy Muslim terrorists wherever they hide. Should not have to live in fear. This is fight for freedom. This is not someone else’s fight. It is fight we absolutely must win. Trump/Pence must be America’s top priorities. Will be strong leaders. Will achieve goal to unite us all. Safe, prosperous, secure America. Must unify. Work tirelessly. Together save great nation.
31. Chris Cox from NRA now. Talking about freedom to protect your life. Our government has failed to keep us safe. Second Amendment is about protecting your family. Mother at home with baby, violent predator kicks door in. What will the mother do? Police take average of 11 minutes. Should she be able to defend herself in her own home or should she be murdered? That question is on the ballot in November. Here’s why. SCOTUS ruled 8 years ago we have right to defend ourselves. Second Amendment survived by just 1 vote. Hillary Clinton wants to take away the Second Amendment. She wants to take away your right to protect yourself in your own home Hillary Clinton SCOTUS means your right to own a firearm is gone. This election is about next 40 years. Voting for Hillary or not voting is not an option. For rest of her life Hillary Clinton will never have to think of 911. She has Secret Service with guns to protect her everywhere even in the bathroom. It’s easy for her to dismiss a right that she will never have to use. Choice to own a firearm is ours to make. Should not be one set of rules for the Clintons and another set for us. Here is Hillary’s problem: American women are fastest group of gun owners. Millions thinking of getting guns. Donald Trump wants women to have choice to own gun.
32. Pro-Golfer Natalie Golbis. Admires Donald Trump. He encouraged her to think of herself as a fearless business person. Trump keeps encouraging her to lean into challenges. Keep fighting. Be fearless. Desperately need someone to clean up the mess of last 8 years. History of fearlessness and challenging the status quo. Donald Trump will bring that to America.
33. 805pm CST, Trump addresses crowd from view screen. Largest vote total in history of Republican Party. We will win the state of Ohio. We will win the presidency. Bring back jobs. Rebuild depleted military. Strong borders. Defeat Islam. Restore law and order. We will do so many other things. He will tell us about it on Thursday. Make America great again. We will win in November.
34. Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader, appears. Says he’s been around the Clintons more than anyone. Says Clintons tried to defeat him and now he is here to do the same thing to them. Can distinguish between people who want to serve others and those who lie. Hillary will say and do anything to be president. Cannot allow it. Tired of hearing about bounty of government. Tired of struggling financially. Middle class shrink. People complain that no one looking out for them. Obama was at least honest about moving America to far Left. Hillary just lies and lies. She tells the truth about nothing. She even lied about why she was named Hillary. He then goes through a bunch of her lies. She was against things and then she is for them…not since Baghdad Bob has there been a public figure with such a tortured relationship to the truth. If Hillary is president, there will be so many scandals. Scandal follows Clintons like flies. Obama vetoed Obamacare repeal, vetoed Keystone, vetoed defunding Planned Parenthood. Trump will fill Scalia’s seat next year. Senate Republicans will be able to end Common Core and do other great things with a Donald Trump presidency. Hillary will double down on the terrible things that Obama loves to do. Example, Zika virus is spreading. Democrats are blocking efforts to eradicate it. They block efforts to help troops. Why vote for Democrats? Need people who cherish Constitution on the SCOTUS. Keep the Senate and House. Elect people who believe that America is exceptional. God bless America.
35. Dan Sullivan of Alaska and some other freshman Senators. He is really high energy and kind of cute. He is talking about 2014 election. Remember that the Media said that Democrats would take back the Senate in 2014. Look how that didn’t happen. They said that Democrats would win big in 2010 too and that did not happen. The Media just lies and hopes no one remembers because 2 years was so long ago and people have such short attention spans.
36. Paul Ryan is back again. It feels like a bad case of recurring gingivitis. He keeps coming back. Keeps shushing people. He never seems sincere when he speaks. He thanks Cleveland for hosting but he seems so fake, no emotion. Just nodding his head. He is SO BAD at reading the teleprompter. He thinks he can tell jokes. He can’t. He is not funny. I am angry now at how he and Romney just gave up and let Obama win at the end. He is so slimy. He says arguments are signs of life. He said this was year of surprises, but look what Democrats did and picked Hillary. People want change and clean break but the establishment put up Hillary. No one is excited by that. Country wanting change feels like we were cleared for takeoff but then sent back to the gate. I hate that he calls them “Democratic Party”; he should call them Democrat Party. They are Democrats. Don’t call them Democratic. American needs to move on from both Obama and the Clintons. He’s so stupid. He uses word progressive too. Why do that? Why use the words they like? Say LEFTIST. They hate that. There is a reason that people in our country are disappointed and restless. Opportunity is slipping away. He’s such a dummy. He says “liberal” too! Democrats LOVE being called that. They are LEFTISTS. But Ryan refuses to say that. This is such proof that this idiot doesn’t get it. He’s too establishment. Words matter. Don’t use the words your opponent wants you to use. Don’t use words that help your opponent. What an idiot Paul Ryan is. This is an awful speech from the Face of the Establishment. He needs to lose his Congressional seat. He needs to be removed as Speaker. I don’t care how cute he is. He does get it right that Democrats just want to divide and hyphenate people. That’s what they do. We need to stop falling into trap of dividing ourselves along all kinds of identity lines.
37. Kevin McCarthy, House Majority Leader. From California. Not sure why he needed to come speak. He’s just repeating things other people said. Would have rather heard from another regular person with an interesting life story. Too many government people speaking tonight and just repeating things. Having people with gray hair come out and just shout and repeat things is not compelling. Time for break to make a snack while this guy yammers on. People bored with him and getting up and wandering around now.
38. Chris Christie is next. People shouting LOCK HER UP LOCK HER UP LOCK HER UP. Christie says he is going to present facts to people as prosecutor. Says Hillary infected world with her bad judgment. Gets audience to shout GUILTY! after asking if Hillary ruined Libya and caused problems everywhere. He goes through all kinds of things and has the crowd shout GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! Growing up Catholic, I was an altar boy. During Lent we had this thing called Stations of the Cross, where it was a mass where they would go through each of the steps on the way to Jesus being crucified. And the old ladies would all read together in unison from these little books, and would shout CRUCIFY HIM! in parts that called for it. The priest would talk. People would shout CRUCIFY! him. It would be dark out because it was night in March or April. It was creepy. This is all just like that. GUILTY! GUILTY! CRUCIFY HER! LOCK HER UP! GUILTY! I kind of love this. I hope he does this all over on the campaign trail. People love shouting these things. Chris Christie as AG would be world’s greatest reality show: GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY? He’s like Richard Dawson in movie Running Man. And crowd shouts GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!
39. Tiffany Trump speaks next. Tiffany is charming and elegant. Says she is nervous speaking in front of 10 million people. She seems like a very sweet and nice person. She loves her dad. Wants to talk about his defining qualities. Whatever he does, he gives his all. Desire for excellence. She just graduated from college but is so poised. Very impressive speaker.
40. Person who works at Trump winery speaks next. Says Trump is man of vision, not wide-eyed dreamer. Makes things better for people and communities. Trump winery and hotel, she manages it. He went to work building it, replanting, making it world class destination and largest vineyard in Virginia. Another nice testimonial about him being a business man with smart decisions but also great person to work for who demands and encourages excellence.
41. Donald Trump Jr. is next. He sure is suntanned! He reminds me of the guys who are day traders or dairy futures traders or whatever down in the Loop. I never like these guys. I never can relate to them. They are like an alien species to me. But Donald Jr. seems like a good guy because I think his father would have never allowed him to grow up to be a jerk. Trump changed skyline of New York. He changed skyline of Chicago too. Impossible is just his starting point. It’s funny but Donald Jr does a lot of the same hand gestures as his father does. Can you even imagine your father being nominated to be president. What a weird feeling that would be. Talking about what it was like being Donald Trump’s son. Trump hung out with regular people. Listened to their opinions. Promoted people based on street smarts and character. People started out as blue collar and he pushed them to succeed. He sees potential that they don’t even see in themselves. People who other executives overlook because they do not have fancy names on resumes from Ivy League. He likes people who have doctorates in common sense. Had his kids learn how to drive trucks and work chainsaws. Wanted his kids to learn dignity of hard work from young age. Whoever you are, wherever you are from, you can prosper together. Our immigration system is messed up. Rewards law breaking. Hurts people following the rules. Needs to stop. All Americans deserve opportunities. Talking about how government has gotten in the way of small businesses. Government tipped scales towards big business with Dodd-Frank. Only big guys can afford to hire lawyers to comply with all the regulations. Donald Jr. is a really great speaker. All the Trump kids are great speakers. You can’t have kids turn out this well without having a really great dad shepherding it. Takes great parents to have kids this great. Trump speaks his mind. He is honest. He says what needs to be said and not just what you want to hear. Will unleash greatness. Make America great again, greater than ever before. It was a fantastic speech.
42. Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia Senator. First woman ever elected to Senate from West Virginia. Says her state is just one big small town. West Virginia ravaged by flooding that claimed lives. Inspired by people who served others despite losing everything. So proud of her state. West Virginians work hard every day. They expect government to do same. Improve economy. Fight for jobs. Obama has put Leftist priorities over livelihoods of West Virginia. Hurt the coal miners. Destroyed communities. Have ripped through heartland. Created pessimism and disgust. Obama administration kicked everyone to curb. Lost trust in government. 2008, Obama said that he would bankrupt coal mines/plants. His actions match words. When you bankrupt a coal company, you deprive communities of livelihood. Obama cost 60,000 coal workers their jobs since 2011. Hillary wants to do more! Says she will put coal miners and coal companies out of business. Put thousands out of work. Wants to devastate coal country. Has anti-coal agenda. This Senator is a really great speaker. She was excellent choice. Tonight not really any bad speakers besides Kevin McCarthy. Lt. Gen Flynn was worst of convention though. That was so bad. Contrasting Hillary’s wealth and privilege with coal miner lives. Extreme carelessness with secrets. Avoids all consequences. She is above the law. She profits from closed door speeches. FBI abandons all credibility to let her off hook. She acts like royalty. Hillary fails to recognize that her policies affect real people. Reminds people of the 2008 Hope and Change styrofoam pillars speech Obama made in Denver. Lower the oceans. Use the EPA as a weapon to harm economy. She says that Obama Regime’s burdensome regulations cost every household $15,000+. This election is important for financial survival. Democrats nominating someone that people distrust. She’s earned this reputation through scandal and mistrust. FBI Director Comey called her negligent and questioned her judgment and that she misled the American people. She squandered trust and discredited the FBI. American people show that they distrust her. She can’t be trusted. She lies all the times. She plays by no rules. She acts like royal. We need trust. No one is above the law. No one who lost the public’s trust should ever serve as president. Hillary will just double down on policies that hurt Americans. WOW…Senator Capito was phenomenal speaker.
43. Dr. Ben Carson. I love Dr. Carson. So great to see him. Says he hates political correctness. It’s what the Left uses to get people to shut up so that they can’t be challenged. Time to stand up and shout out, not shut up. Need to use our power of reasoning. Look at history and character. He talks about Saul Alinsky. Says that Alinsky inspired by Lucifer. The Left wants to kill and destroy God and bring Lucifer to earth. He’s right. This is all about We the People. Jefferson said we would reach this point and the government would grow and try to rule us. Before we turn into something else, we the people would recognize what was happening and we would rise up. Now is the time to take America back! That was a really great speech by Dr. Carson. He will make a great Surgeon General. The book that Megan Fox and I wrote has a LOT in it about Saul Alinsky.
44. Kimberlin Brown, actress. She’s a former soap actress and now a business person and designs things. Says it is offensive when Media targets women as single issue voters. Women can’t be reduced to just one issue. Must secure future for families. California businesswomen for Trump. Women in all fields and professions and ethnicities. Women for Trump. Unreasonable regulations that tie everyone up with red tape. This is destroying business. Destroying farms. She is a really great speaker too. Very smart choice. Talking about how her employees suffer under Obamacare. Young employees angry about Obamacare. Wake up call to them. All voting Trump this year. 1/3 small business owners are women. Talks about productions moving out of country due to regulations and taxes. Production shut down. Big stars not affected but all the little guys were. Plight of men and women who lost livelihoods. She is avocado grower that sees bad trade deals flood markets, destroy businesses. People forced to cut down groves because of bad trade policies. There will be a time soon for a woman president, but it should not be Hillary Clinton. This is a woman who did not have the chance to stand up for women, she attacked women, she enabled Bill Clinton’s victimization, she knows some of Bill’s victims. Her comments are comments of convenience only. If we are to prosper as a nation, need leader who will shake things up. President who will bring common sense regulations and eliminated unnecessary ones. Fix tax system. Need someone who needs to build things and create jobs. Who knows how to negotiate. Tackle problems head on. Need TRUE PROGRESS. The Left has attacked her nonstop since it was announced she was the speaker. Left wants to silence those they disagree with. WOW! She was such a great and powerful speaker. Great way to end the convention for the night.
— That is a wrap until 730pm tomorrow, 7/20/16 —
What are your thoughts?
If you enjoyed this live recap of the live stream, let me know if you’d like to see more the remaining days and if you’d like me to sit through the Democrats’ convention too. If you’d like to read it, I don’t mind doing it if there is interest.