Back in 2008, following Obama’s less than compelling reaction on the campaign trail to Russia invading neighboring Georgia, Sarah Palin remarked that Ukraine could be next. The left attacked her, mocked her, called her comments “strange” and “far-fetched”.
Today, the scenario is very real. Russia’s puppet parliament just voted unanimously to approve military action against Ukraine. This after paramilitary forces, likely of Russian origin and backing, have already seized government buildings and airports within the Crimean region of Ukraine.
Which means, all those fawning, sycophantic, Obama-protecting liberals… all those self-righteous, self-described “experts” on foreign policy… all those talking heads on the television were WRONG.
Sarah Palin was right, folks.
I wonder which of those supposed experts has the guts to admit it.
If the NAACP was ever actually an organization dedicated to the advancement of colored people, I am certainly too young to remember. Throughout my adult life it seems the NAACP is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the liberal/progressive political wing. If “colored people” happen to align with their politics, great. But anything not part of the official Democrat platform is ignored or outright opposed.
A great example of this last is the NAACP opposition to school choice laws, which have been shown as fairly successful for black children in many communities. You would think an organization supposedly dedicated to helping advance black people would actually want to help advance black children, but since Democrats oppose school choice, you would be wrong to assume so.
In the latest bit of whacky weirdness, the NAACP organized a march to protest voter ID laws. Prior to the march, they distributed a flyer with DOs and DON’Ts. One of the DOs? “Bring photo identification and keep it on you at all times”
In my present state of mind, I am beyond the point of feeling angry about this. The hypocrisy among political power players is so rampant, so obvious, so egregious that I just can’t help but laugh.
Maybe I am laughing the laugh of the damned.
The following is a conversation with a welfare mother who called in to a radio show. If you haven’t heard it, you must listen. The woman describes how she can smoke marijuana, sit around doing nothing all day, and the checks come every month. Words cannot adequately describe, you must hear it for yourself.
UPDATE: A reader discovered a source saying this was false. Not exactly a hoax, but apparently the woman called back again and said she had been on welfare, but was off it, and was incensed others didn’t do the same. Also that she invented the original story to raise awareness. Now I am left wondering if the retraction is true, or merely the result of worrying that some government official would come after her now that she embarrassed the system. A person who has been on welfare and successfully gotten off it could surely come up with better ways to raise awareness for the PROS and CONS of welfare than by concocting a story which only highlights the CONS of the system.
If any body else finds more to this story, let me know.
Video after the jump because it auto-plays.
A week or so ago, President Obama made headlines by declaring he’s “got a pen” and “got a telephone” and calling 2014 a year of action! My first thought was, “Gee, Batman must be jealous of your high tech gadgets Mr. President.” My second thought was that Obama was actually threatening to bypass the Constitutional role of Congress by acting unilaterally wherever possible.
In case there was any doubt about the President’s commitment to Executive action, the White House has doubled down on its promise to circumvent Congress.
One of the many interesting sub-plots of the 2014 election year is the possibility that Congress may welcome its first openly gay Republican.
Dan Innis is running for a House seat in New Hampshire. He is a businessman, entrepreneur, Dean of the Whittemore School of Business and Economics, and is married to a man. It was his husband who convinced him to run, saying “You’ve got to do this” to see if Innis could “make a difference.”
Richard Tisei is running again for a House seat in Massachusetts. He lost by just 1 point in the general election to John Tierney, and will face him again this time around. He has already served as a state senator. He is also married to a man.
Carl DeMaio is running for a House seat in California. He is a businessman who provided training and consulting specifically to financially-troubled government entities to help them become more efficient. He has also served as a city councilman for San Diego. At the time of writing this I do not know if DeMaio is married to his partner, but it is my understanding they have been together for six years.
None of these men are making their sexuality part of their campaign. It will be interesting to see what the liberals do, should these men make it through the GOP primaries. Kevin has often pointed out that liberals reveal their ultimate hypocrisy when faced with an opponent who would traditionally be a liberal. As a living example, DeMaio and his partner were booed while walking in the Gay Pride parade, because DeMaio is a Republican and was running for Mayor.
As President Obama rolls out his poorly-named “Promise Zones” (sounds like something a male adolescent would come up with to name a body part), progressives around the nation are simultaneously pushing for higher minimum wage — places like New York, Detroit, and SeaTac have recently had protests and/or legislation passed over higher minimum wage, just to name a few. And the U.S. Senate has mentioned a “$10-ish” federal minimum wage. By the way, it’s not just progressive liberals pushing for it — in Washington state, a self-described Republican is pushing for $15/hour minimum wage. The article calls him a “conservative”, but we all recognize his progressive ideology.
“Income inequality” is shaping up to be the big 2014 liberal campaign platform. The progressives want to re-frame the debate as a humanitarian rather than an economic one. Democrats hope they can ride this horse to victory, and probably even keep riding it through 2016. Never mind the fact that they are essentially admitting to buying votes.
In any free market system, the cost of labor is an input which impacts the final price of goods sold and services rendered. By artificially inflating minimum wage, Democrats promise us a better life for those at the bottom of the wage scale, but the tradeoff a higher cost to produce goods and services. This increase in cost will work its way into the economy in one of three main ways:
- Higher prices for consumers to obtain a good or service (essentially a hidden tax on consumption)
- Less innovation and production and employment growth, due to more business resources being allocated to existing labor
- Lost jobs due to companies moving production overseas, or in the case of business that can’t move overseas, more automation or just plain lower quality of service
Additionally, when minimum wage goes up, it tends to drive all wages up across the board. This exacerbates the above outcomes across the entire economy.
When fast-food workers in 100+ cities went on strike a few weeks ago, they probably never thought their jobs were replaceable. After all, how do you make food without humans? May I present to you, the robot that makes nearly 400 burgers an hour:
How the Left Uses Gays to Dismantle, Undermine, and Toxify the Catholic Church…the Gaystapo in Action in Chicago!
John Nolte at Breitbart.com just published a hard-hitting piece that’s worth your very valuable time…exposing Barack Obama’s commitment to the institutional Left’s Alinskyite objective of “dismantling, undermining, and toxifying the Catholic Church”; this article’s one of those that I’ll probably quote from for years to come, because I’ve never seen this articulated so succinctly before. Dismantle. Undermine. Toxify. That is precisely what Leftists have been attempting in their decades-long war against the Catholic Church. Kudos to Nolte for precisely encapsulating so much evil into three small words…which I hope you’ll join me in making everyday vocabulary from this point forward.
What John Nolte probably doesn’t know firsthand, though, is that the Left’s weapon of choice against Catholics is normally gays…who serve as a Gaystapo goon squad that is revved up into frenzies of hatred against Christians in general (but Catholics quite specifically). If you observe the institutional Left’s strategic moves long enough, you’ll see it’s almost always gays who are bused in to block the entrances to cathedrals or churches and scream expletives at parishioners heading into mass; this is, of course, the toxification aspect of the Leftists’ agenda…since they are attempting to make going to Catholic mass so unpleasant an experience for believers that they’ll potentially start staying home, just to avoid being screamed at by obnoxious gays out on the street (most of whom, in the video above at least, are actually members of the Chicago Teachers’ Union…more on that later).
The Left uses the Gaystapo against the Church (with gays screaming “Bigots!”) in much the same way that Democrats trot blacks (led, of course, by the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Henry Gates) in front of cameras to accuse conservative businesses, Republican politicians, or any of the Democrats’ other perceived “enemies” of being “Ray Ciss”. This is stage crafting coordinated by the DNC, with gays and blacks serving as useful idiots and foot solders for the institutional Left.
It doesn’t matter to the State Media that the particular gays holding astoturfed signs or the blacks being paid $50 to walk a picket line often have no idea what specifically they are protesting (and, as in the video above, can’t really identify what exactly makes someone a “bigot” or a “Ray Ciss”)…just so long as the “news” can run clips of them angrily denouncing enemies of the Democrat Party as “bigots” or “Ray Ciss”. It’s almost as if the Left has a giant vending machine somewhere that dispenses these useful idiots in prepackaged cartons, in whatever flavor Democrats need that particular day to target a specific area of Christianity or conservatism for attack. This is such a well-oiled machine that Leftists no doubt have a color-coded chart to determine which particular subset of the Democrat Party can be most aggressively used to inflict the most damage to Christians and conservatives on any particular issue. It’s like knowing you just need to type in A5 to get your nacho cheese Doritos or plug in B7 for some Cheetos (while simultaneously sinking Republicans’ mixed-metaphoric “Battleship”).
You’re probably much more familiar with black people being used by the Left in antics conducted by “The Justice Brothers” of Jackson, Sharpton, and Gates (as parodied by satirist Paul Shanklin above)…but you need to start paying attention to the similar activities of obnoxious gays who are consistently manipulated as unthinking props by the “gay community” leaders who serve the institutional Left as what I’ve dubbed “The Gaystapo”; this is happening every day all around you…and you need to start speaking out against it.
Because if you do, then Democrats would no longer be able to use any of these people as weaponized props against Christians and conservatives and the institutional Left would be dealt a very severe strategic blow…WITH YOUR COMMITTED HELP.
[ Click above to embiggen: two men who spread virulent hatred against Christians….one in Chicago and one in Tehran ]
A classic example of the deployment of a weaponized Gaystapo brigade manifested itself just this week here in Chicago — on Sunday June 16th, 2013 — when a throng of self-proclaimed gays operating under the banners of “Equality Illinois” assailed the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church on Belmont Avenue between Halsted and Broadway in Boystown (see “Hateful Gays Attack Catholic Church in Chicago” video at the top of this page…but be cautioned about foul language, loud screaming, and general obnoxiousness).
Equality Illinois is a political action group founded and funded by Art Johnston, the owner of Sidetrack the Video Bar in Boystown; though Johnston often introduces himself as “Chicago’s Harvey Milk”, I instead refer to him as “The Ayatoldja Johnston” because in Chicago he serves a function for “activist gays” and the institutional Left that the Ayatollah Khomeini similarly served for jihadists and Islam in Iran: he’s the one who makes the speeches to identify and denounce the “enemies of the gay community” and the Left in Illinois and then compels the equivalent of jihad against them. If “The Ayatoldja Johnston” pushes a fatwa against you from his perch at Sidetrack the Video Bar and marks you as an “enemy”, expect to have every gullible gay in the tri-state area harassing and menacing you lickety-split…in much the way that the Ayatollah Khomeini used to sic deranged Muslims on the worldwide “enemies of Islam” from his mosque in Tehran.
If you are familiar with the Alinsky Rules for Radicals you’ll already know that the institutional Left employs much of the same sort of tactics that the “Religion of Peace” that is Islam utilizes…and that both groups are very enemy-directed and destruction-focused. No wonder the Left attacks Christians relentlessly but never addresses the beheading, maiming, imprisonments, torture, forced gender-reassignment, general brutality or other evils that Muslims inflict upon gays in any country where Islam is dominant; Leftists clearly view Muslims as fellow travelers in the “enemy of my enemy is my ally” sense. Little do these idiots know, however, that should the institutional Left succeed in destroying the Catholic Church on a global scale that Islam will no doubt rise up to fill the void…and at that future date Muslims will turn on the useful idiots in the Left and execute them. The gays, to no one’s surprise, will be the first ones that Muslims kill.
Leftists don’t think that far ahead though…or, more accurately, they don’t seem to think that much at all. As the video I shot in Chicago last Sunday establishes.
When I brought this footage home and showed it to my boyfriend Justin, he watched exactly 47 seconds of it before he covered his ears and told me he couldn’t take anymore; the screaming, yelling, cursing, honking, and general obnoxiousness was too overwhelming for him. Justin’s a nice young guy from rural Arkansas who still asks me “why are these people doing this to our country?” whenever he witnesses the “activists” of the Left in action. For those of you who feel similarly to Justin and can’t make it through the full 8 minutes of footage I taped, here’s a rough breakdown of what the Gaystapo was up to in front of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel this Sunday:
* The video begins with a woman who self-identified to me as “a loud and proud bull dyke and rug muncher!” (that is a direct quote) answering my questions to her about what the “protest” was about (that’s me you hear off-camera talking to these lunatics); she’s wearing a tee shirt that’s clearly emblazoned with the Equality Illinois (EI) logo, much like the shirts worn by other attendees of this scream-a-thon. Look closely in the video and you’ll see that most of the signs also carry either the Equality Illinois logo or some reference to this group…as Equality Illinois is who directly organized the attendees (with help from the Chicago Teachers’ Union). The woman refused to give me her name, so I’ll call her “Equality Illinois Woman” in the below.
* I asked Equality Illinois Woman about the sign she was holding, which read “ARCHBIGOT of Chicago not welcome”; it turns out this mob was dispatched by the Ayatoldja Johnston’s Equality Illinois PAC to purposefully disrupt a mass being led by the Archbishop at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel for its gay Catholics group, AGLO (Archdiocese Gay Lesbian Outreach). The Ayatoldja Johnston seems to have decided that depressing turnout for this mass was important, so Equality Illinois Woman and her cohorts were there to bully and heckle any gay Catholics who were heading into Mt. Carmel to celebrate mass (more on this later).
* Labeling someone a “bigot” is a tried and true tactic of the Gaystapo, empowered by Alinksy Rule for Radicals #13: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. Start paying attention to whenever gays anywhere call someone a bigot; it’s always a supremely astroturfed effort. The Ayatoldja Johnston did this to Illinois gubernatorial candidate Bill Brady back in the year 2010…and even went so far as to plaster the entire front of his bar Sidetrack on Halsted with bizarre signs screaming BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! at Brady (in much the way that the screamers in the video shout BIGOT here in 2013). No explanation was ever given by Ayatoldja Johnston regarding what exactly made Brady a “bigot”…but according to Johnston he just was. That eerily reminds me of the Ayatollah Khomeini declaring Salman Rushdie a heretic and demanding his beheading in a fatwa; at least the only thing the Ayatoldja Johnston demanded gays in Boystown to do to Brady was to ensure he did not win the gubernatorial election.
* When I pressed Equality Illinois Woman for some specifics on what made “the Archbishop” a bigot, she said that he “takes money from parishioners to lobby against the civil rights of gay people”. I find this highly ironic, because by this definition Equality Illinois Woman has named Art Johnston himself as a bigot…because he takes money from Sidetrack bar patrons, funnels that into Equality Illinois, and uses that organization to lobby against the rights of Christians (including funding this scream-a-thon in front of Mt. Carmel that was intended to disrupt its AGLO mass last Sunday). This is a good reminder to all of you to heed Alinsky Rule #4…which is to “make the enemy live up to its own rules”.
* Equality Illinois Woman got very upset with me when I asked her what exactly the money from the Church was being used to do, and she rambled about it being used to “meddle in politics”. But, isn’t that what the Ayatoldja Johnston does with Sidetrack’s money via Equality Illinois? She got right up in my grill and said that the Archbishop doesn’t “know the difference between Church and state and can’t separate Church and state”…and that’s where I think it’s time to take a reality check and think about the fact that Democrats control the entire state of Illinois. Which is not Alabama, or Mississippi, or Georgia, or Arkansas, or even Missouri…where religious leaders have a lot of clout. I actually can’t think of any state where the Catholic Church is powerful enough to really affect politics in the year 2013, since the sex-abuse scandals of the 1980s really constrained whatever public influence church officials once had in America. Just think back to the last election and the various Bishops and Cardinals who warned Catholic voters about the dangers of Obamacare and its forcing the Church to violate its doctrine by funding contraception via health plans…and not all that many voting Catholics paid much attention to that at all when they cast their ballots. If any religious leaders in this country have any real political power today it is the evangelical ones…who can assuredly make or break a Republican’s national political career (see: Mitt Romney). Nobody in politics really pays that much attention to Catholics…except the Gaystapo that always attacks them. Which makes me wonder how much the Left had to do with the sex scandals of the 1980s and whether Leftist long-term infiltration of the Church set the stage for all of that…just so the institutional Left could weaken the Church from within in what Nolte called the effort to “dismantle, undermine, and toxify” it. We’ll have to revisit this another day because I think we might be onto something.
* At the 39 second mark, Equality Illinois Woman has walked away from me and has essentially stopped answering my questions. A very odd man pipes up who for some reason reminds me of a Muppet (so that’s what I’ll call him). He says that the Church is there to block gay people’s rights, so I ask him how exactly it does that in a Democrat-controlled state like Illinois where the Catholic Church has little to no power.
* Equality Illinois Woman then starts screaming at me about Prop 8 in California and doesn’t like it when I remind her that blacks in the Golden State who voted for Barack Obama in 2008 (to usher in The Golden Age of Hope and Change) also voted for Prop 8. One of the apocryphal tall tales that gays enjoy telling is that California is actually controlled by super-powerful Mormons in Utah who forced the passage of Prop 8 (which canceled out “gay marriage” in Sacramento). This is the height of absurdity because if Mormons were really that powerful then why didn’t they simultaneously carry the state of California for John McCain in the electoral college? The State Media will never admit this, but the reason that Barack Obama won the state of California’s electoral votes while Prop 8 passed in 2008 is because Obama’s black voters also gleefully pulled the lever to discriminate against gay people. And they loved every minute of it. I actually don’t know what blacks in that state were more thrilled about: electing a black man president or sticking it to gays with a ballot-measure F-U in CA.
* Equality Illinois Woman insists at the 52-second mark that the Archbishop was in fact behind Prop 8 (so it wasn’t the Mormons?) and that he was also behind the effort to block “gay marriage’ in Illinois. I assume she also believes he was behind the Kennedy Assassination, the removal of Twinkies from the marketplace, and the rigging of the Dancing with the Stars Voting in 2010 (no, wait, that was me!). For those who don’t know, Democrat Speaker of the Illinois House Mike Madigan decided not to allow gay marriage in the state of Illinois because if he had done this right now Illinois would be the 13th state to recognize “gay marriage” and Madigan is superstitious and didn’t want to be the “unlucky #13″ state. He wants Illinois to be the 14th state to legalize “gay marriage” because 14 is one of his lucky numbers (I think it’s a grandchild or niece or nephew’s birthday or something). This is honest to goodness the reason why “gay marriage” did not pass in a fully Democrat-controlled state legislature…just because Democrats here did not want it to pass this year. Fundraising off “gay marriage” is a HUGE FINANCIAL BOON for Democrats…and they need that money for 2014. What the State Media and the useful idiots at Equality Illinois won’t tell you is that Democrats purposefully tabled “gay marriage” in 2013 because they wanted at least one more year of fundraising in the “gay community” to fill their campaign coffers for 2014. If Madigan had allowed this to pass in ’13 it would have been unlucky for Democrats in the fundraising racket…so it’s better for the Left’s nationwide prospects in ’14 to keep gays riled up about “gay marriage”. Do you see how that works? Maybe “14” isn’t a family birthday number for Mike Madigan after all…but is just another part of the Left’s longterm election strategies.
* Around the 107-minute mark Equality Illinois Woman and Muppet insist the Church controls the state of Illinois, which is just an outright lie. Have you been to this state? Clearly the Church would do a better job of running it than Democrats…and maybe black children in public schools here would be able to read by the age of 15 and AIDS and meningitis wouldn’t be making roaring comebacks in the City of Chicago. Idiots.
* Something really interesting happened at about the 114-minute mark. If you blink, you’ll miss it…but there is a man in a dark shirt with nasty dark hair and a goatee who started coming towards me to knock my camera out of my hand and assault me. You’ll hear Equality Illinois Woman pull him to the side and say “Did I say you could do that to him?”, which was my first indication that this woman was the assigned “leader” of the protest. You need to understand that this is how astroturfing works on the Left…there is always a contact person/leader of the event and then people like Muppet and Nasty Hair Thug are recruited by various organizations like Equality Illinois or the Teachers’ Union. When they arrive on-site, they are told that someone like Equality Illinois Woman is in charge. Usually they meet around the corner from wherever the actual scream-a-thon will be taking place and the contact person/leader establishes the rules and priorities of the event. One of the rules is that they can’t do anything that looks violent while being filmed…and they can’t say things on camera that people like James O’Keefe and Andrew Breitbart have been expert in the past at catching on tape. If Equality Illinois Woman had not been there to stop him, I’m pretty sure Nasty Hair Thug would have knocked the camera out of my hand or grabbed it…which would have been very unfortunate for him because police were standing by and I would have insisted he be arrested for assault and theft for doing so.
* At 121-minutes, Muppet can’t identify which representatives in the Illinois state legislature said they were being pressured by Catholics not to allow “gay marriage” in this fully Democrat-controlled state. He said he needed to go back home and look at some list he had of all these people. But, he didn’t bring this list to the event he was attending where he’d be screaming and yelling about these people? Doesn’t make much sense.
* At 144-minutes, Muppet asks me what I’m doing there and I truthfully told him I was just walking down the street and saw all the commotion. This is amusing to me because I almost never go down Belmont between Broadway and Halsted because the only thing that’s really on that stretch of Belmont is Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and that’s not the church I attend. It was a one-in-a-million chance that I of all people would be walking down this street right when this scream-a-thon was happening…and for once I actually had my camera with me and it still had battery life in it. I happened to be out that day taking photos of apartment buildings for a friend looking for a new place and if not for that I’d have never encountered these lunatics or gotten this on film. The Holy Spirit must have been directing me or something.
* I love that he says at 153-minutes something about “if you are a gay man”. That’s funny to me because I think there’s no way on Earth I could ever hide that I’m gay and don’t think I’m remotely passable as straight. I think my voice gives me away, totally.
* At 209-minutes, Muppet says that Democrats don’t control the state of Illinois with Speaker Mike Madigan. Clearly, Muppet is visiting us from BizarroWorld.
* At 220-minutes, Muppet insists these people he doesn’t know the names of are all afraid of “reapercushions” (I think he means repercussions, but maybe these are some sort of sofa paddings the Angel of Death carries around on which to rest his sickle). Once again, I don’t know why any Democrat would be afraid of any religious group because the way this state is gerrymandered there are no Democrats anywhere in Illinois, even far down south, who are ever in danger of losing their seats because of the influence of Catholics. That’s just crazy talk on Muppet’s part.
* At 242-minutes, I attempted to get good shots of as many of the faces of the people protesting as possible because I’d like to identify them all by name (and see how many of them work for the Chicago Public School system). If you read Nolte’s article, he makes it clear that the Left is targeting Catholic Schools for destruction because they are an impediment to the complete takeover of children’s education in this country (via the Frankfurt Plan). I always spot members of both the Teachers’ Union and the SEIU at any astroturfed protest in Chicago and endeavor to identify which teachers specifically are moonlighting in the Gaystapo. If these taxpayer-paid public employees are doing things like this on their off time…I think parents need to wonder what they are doing in the classrooms.
* Notice how the majority of these people scurry from the cameras, attempt to obscure their faces with signs, turn their heads away, etc. If they were proud of what they were doing and really believed in the things they were screaming then why are they so afraid to be photographed doing all of it? I can tell you, whenever I am at some event speaking in public I don’t care who films me because I am in a public place, engaged in a political activity for a cause I believe in, and I never, ever say or write anything that I do not believe 100% to be true and will forever standby. Leftists on the other hand always seem ashamed to be on film, like at heart they just know what they are doing is wrong and wilt when a camera is pointed at them. Why is that?
* 254-minutes…the two guys hiding their faces are both public school teachers but I don’t know their names. I recognize them because they were both wearing Chicago Public Schools red tee shirts in the bar Downtown on State Street earlier this year during the whole mess with the teachers’ strike. I remember the bald guy because he looks like Buster from Arrested Development. If you know the names of either of these guys (or anyone else in the video) please email or post in comments because I’d love to find out what schools they teach in and see if parents of their students know what they get up to on the weekends with Equality Illinois and its political agenda.
* At the 304-minute mark I see someone has a video camera on a tripod…and the camera is pointed at the church steps. Equality Illinois is very clearly trying to capture every gay man heading into the AGLO event on film…so that the Ayatoldja Johnston and the rest of Equality Illinois can identify these guys and deal with them in some way. Remember that this event was setup up right before the AGLO mass being celebrated by the Archbishop…so the camera was positioned from a vantage point to capture the faces of the attendees heading to the event. The camera is not pointed at the protestors, so it’s not being used to record the activities of the Equality Illinois and Teachers’ Union members. It is filming who is going to services for AGLO so that the Ayatoldja Johnston can know who these people are…and perhaps order gay jihad on them. Why else point the camera that way when all the action is happening on the sidewalk?
* At 307-minutes, the gay bullies dispatched by Equality Illinois harass a gay Catholic in a yellow shirt who is attempting to enter the church. They’re calling him names and shouting at him for participating in AGLO, but much to his credit he ignores them and keeps his cool…the guy in the yellow shirt says he has “seen two year olds that behave better”…and one of the gay bullies from Equality Illinois screams “yah, you’re wearing yellow and yellow”. I guess because he has on a yellow shirt as well as yellow shoes. That’s called matching. It’s a pretty standard thing to do, especially for gays. Yellow Shirt guy tells the Equality Illinois thugs that they act like idiots. They really don’t know what to do, because they are used to successfully bullying people, so Equality Illinois Woman just starts shouting louder.
* At 335-minutes, a man wearing the Number Five on the back of his shirt starts talking about Anita Bryant (whom Justin thinks is the “black woman who accused Clarence Thomas of putting hairs on a can of Coke” but is actually the former singer and Florida orange juice pitch woman whom Harvey Milk made into his personal nemesis back in the 1970s). Pay attention to Number Five, because I believe he’s also a Chicago public school teacher. I’ve seen him before at Teachers’ Union events, though he might be a professional protest-attendee in the ranks of the astroturfing Left. That means he might not even be gay himself, but is doing this because it’s safe to assume that Equality Illinois paid people to stand in front of this church and harass people attending the AGLO mass. I think he’s a teacher though, based on his mannerisms and the fact that I swear I saw him at the teachers’ strike protests too.
* Notice the Chicago police standing there. Justin actually asked me why the police were not doing anything to stop all this, but I had to explain to him that the cops in Chicago are actually really great guys…and they do an AWESOME job 99.9% of the time here. I love Chicago cops. They aren’t allowed to stop a protest like this or to interfere in it…but they were there to keep the sidewalk clear and actually protect people heading into the Church. So they were doing the right thing. If the Equality Illinois thugs had laid hands on anyone, grabbed my camera, or physically blocked the way into the Church then the cops would have arrested the gay bullies. But these people had a legal right to scream and yell and attempt to disrupt the mass verbally…they just could not physically touch anyone, step onto Church property to scream and yell, or prohibit someone physically from attending mass. They are allowed to videotape people going inside in an attempt to identify them and intimidate them because there is no expectation of privacy walking down a sidewalk and into a church.
* 341-minutes. Just look at how weird these people look. That also makes me believe this was a paid protest and that people answered an ad on Craigslist or something to attend this. There are such oddballs in this group from Equality Illinois; some look homeless, others appear to be mental patients. I doubt they all are fully aware of where they even are let alone why they are screaming at a church. One guy looks like Quasimodo and might think this is a staging of Hunchback. This is really typical for turnout at a Leftist paid event.
* 420-minutes. You can see a guy running past the lunatics to get into the church. It’s pretty sick that this is allowed to happen, as Justin said. Can you imagine if the tables were turned and gays had to run to get inside of a gay bar? I wonder what the Ayatoldja Johnston would say if Christian groups picketed and screamed “BIGOT!” in front of his bar Sidetrack on Halsted and forced his customers to run as they were entering the building, afraid of being filmed going in? I bet the State Media would be all over that, wouldn’t they?
* This all goes on for a while longer and the honking and screaming of BIGOT! give me quite a headache. I cut it off at 8 minutes just because it was more of the same thing over and over again and the police were keeping anything major from happening. But the protest itself went on for quite a while with lots of screaming and yelling intended to disrupt the mass being held inside. You’ll notice that everyone screams louder when the doors of the church are opened…because they are trying to get their voices to carry inside. I think they also are doing a psy-ops trick here, because they are trying to seem more numerous than they really are. As in, if they scream loudly when the doors are open the people inside will think there are hundreds of Equality Illinois thugs out there…instead of just a handful of paid lunatics.
What’s actually fascinating about all of this is that I never knew about this AGLO organization before and hadn’t heard that Our Lady of Mt. Carmel had some kind of a gay outreach program. The only way I would have ever found out about this was if I had walked by a protest like the one on Sunday that called AGLO to my attention. I’m now considering going to mass at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and joining this AGLO group…and the Church will have Equality Illinois and the Teachers’ Union to thank for that new addition to their membership ranks!
I’m sure the Ayatoldja Art Johnston will just love that.
As I was walking away, Equality Illinois Woman said something I wish I could have gotten on tape because I enjoyed the visuals of it so much. She said, “THEY always send one of them out to try to discredit us like that”, while pointing at me. As if people who were never credited in the first place need me to discredit them.
I wonder who’s the “THEY” that she referred to in that and what “one of them” meant to her. Since Sunday, I’ve been enjoying coming up with ideas on that with Justin, imaging all sorts of variations on the theme of “THEY” and “THEM”.
Was “THEY” the Vatican itself, as if the Holy See dispatches me on these missions around the world in service of the Church? I pictured a tall, dark, and chastely-handsome colorfully-attired Swiss Guard popping up to my doorstep carrying a parchment scroll sealed in blood red wax and tied up in golden string with an urgent mission directive straight from the ring of Pope Francis in Rome…directing me to Belmont and Halsted to film lunatics screaming at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel on a random Sunday in Chicago.
Perhaps, instead of a Michelangelo-clad hottie the Vatican would just materialize a cherub in the vicinity of my desk who’d deposit my marching orders on finely-calligraphied vellum…like those owls that flew around Hogwarts passing all of those notes (but leaving just glitter behind instead of the horrors I imagine mice-ingesting owls depositing from their behinds as they took flight around the magical school). If black smoke over the Vatican means no pope has been selected by a conclave and white smoke heralds a new pontiff…does raspberry or peacock smoke indicate successful transmission of a message from the Holy See to a conservative homosexual in Chicago? The possibilities are endless.
Of course, I wondered if Equality Illinois Woman instead meant “THEY” in the Republican sense…like Governor Sarah Palin, Congressman Allen West, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, Senator Ted Cruz, or others in the GOP ranks that I like and admire sent me out to videotape on Sunday? How awesome would that be? (Answer: it would be hella awesome, hunties). Where do I sign up to be an unpaid page for committed conservative people who are trying to save our country from ruin? I’d love that gig and would hope they keep me very, very busy always.
I very much enjoy being “one of them”, as Equality Illinois Woman referred to me…because I sure as Hades never want to be mistaken for one of the nuts who’d heed the Ayatoldja Johnston’s call for jihad and scream and yell at a church on a Sunday. I’d rather this woman forever call me “one of them”…since “one of us” in her case would mean a wasted and pathetic life wallowing in the institutional Left’s special blend of hypocrisy and hatred.
On an intensely personal note, the more I consider it the more I truly do believe the Holy Spirit drew me down Belmont (a street I rarely walk down) last Sunday (a day I rarely am out and about walking in the neighborhood) for the specific purpose of catching the Gaystapo on tape engaging in this coordinated attack against Catholics; for Nolte at Breitbart to publish his article on the War on Catholics today (while I was working on getting the video footage up on YouTube and this essay written) sends a shiver up my spine because it, too, feels like the Holy Spirit at work compelling my service to the faithful on the ground here in Boystown. There’s a great line in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Sean Connery, playing a devote Catholic, “suddenly remembers (his) Charlemagne” and says, “Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky”…before employing an umbrella to send seagulls into the air to cripple a Nazi warplane. The Holy Spirit apparently has a long history of commandeering both the ordinary and the oddball for service as needed, no matter how unexpected it would be.
I’m delighted and honored to similarly answer the Spirit’s call whenever and wherever it comes…in service to my Lord, my country, and the American people I adore. I hope as friends you always join me in this and together we endeavor to expose all the bad things the supposed “gay community” does to aide and abet the institutional Left.
QUESTION FOR COMMENTS: Have you ever encountered Leftists like this out and about, screaming and yelling and carrying on the way that they do? Can you tell immediately how artificial and astroturfed these “protests” really are and by watching the video can you see how the rabble present really do appear to be hired hands from Craigslist?
What are some ways that YOU can spread the word that the institutional Left uses gay people as useful idiots and Gaystapo goon squad foot soldiers in the ceaseless War Against Catholics in this country?
It’s Very Common for the Institutional Left to Commit Perjury When They Think They Will Get Away With It
[ Click above to embiggen: the Bonfire of the Gay Vanities ]
In the past several weeks, we’ve heard horrific reports of both the institutional Left using the IRS as a weapon of retribution against conservatives and Christians and current (for now) Attorney General Eric Holder committing perjury during Congressional hearings…because those in the Obama Regime arrogantly believe the rule of law does not apply to them and that they can do as they please without consequence.
While these events happen on the national scene, you’re no doubt aware that Leftists on all levels (federal, state, county, and local) see nothing wrong with any of this…so long as it’s conservatives and Christians being persecuted by the Obama Regime and the Democrat-controlled federal government. A group of college students even delighted their Leftist professors by getting together to send the IRS a thank-you card for intimidating, bullying, and maliciously auditing opponents of the Obama Regime…and the Democrat “activists” who committed a felony by bugging Senator Mitch McConnell’s office today gleefully exclaimed “they’d do it again!”. The institutional Left firmly believes that when those on the right are on the receiving end of deliberate persecution that the “right” people are “getting what they deserve” and that all ends justify these means. Somewhere in the bowels of Hades, Saul Alinsky is smiling.
If you are a lifelong conservative or religious person who wonders how anyone in this country could ever think it’s a good thing (worthy of a thank-you card, no less) for Democrats to use the government to persecute their professed enemies, then you need to take a look at what happens every day in Leftist-controlled cities like Chicago…and, in particular, enclaves like Boystown where the “gay community” employs these kinds of tactics against their “enemies” all the time (but you just never hear about it because the media won’t report it, since gays are favored tools of the Left and the media will never shine a light on gays’ bad behavior). The deeper you wade into the Left’s marked territory in states like Illinois, the more you will see that the sort of thing the IRS and Eric Holder have been doing is quite commonplace for Obama’s followers nationwide. It’s just standard operating procedure, actually, and gays in Chicago are mostly wondering what took Democrats so long to use the IRS and Justice Department to go for conservatives’ throats like this…because on the local level these guys do things like this all the time to their own personal enemies. It’s just that no one ever tells you about it.
The “gay community” you hear so much about in the media (you know, the special “community” that’s always claiming to be victims of bullying or harassment from others) is actually led by particularly ruthless gay individuals who more often than not are aggressive victimizers themselves…doing the sort of thing to others that they claim conservatives and Christians do to them…and believing they can get away with it because they are gay and are a special, pet class in the eyes of the media. You might remember Bret Easton Ellis calling these people the “gay cultural elite” or “gay magical elves”…but I’ve long-called them “The Gaystapo”, because prominent gay “community leaders” enforce a policy of complete annihilation against any gay man or lesbian who ever speaks out against any of the bad things that gay people do…especially when it’s a case of prominent gays persecuting Christians or using the government to come after their enemies.
I’ve told you before about a shocking lawsuit that is now in the deposition phase and making its way towards trial in the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division in the courtroom of Judge Amy St. Eve…where a former employee of the gay establishment Sidetrack the Video Bar is suing owner Art Johnston (the self-styled “Chicago’s Harvey Milk” and inductee into the local “Gay & Lesbian Hall of Fame”) for four counts of sexual harassment (and hostile work environment), religious discrimination (and hostile work environment), retaliation, and the intentional infliction of emotional distress.
This is a case involving a gay, Christian employee of Johnston’s named “J.P.” who was relentlessly harassed both sexually and because of his religious beliefs while working at Sidetrack…and then he was subjected to emotional torture by Sidetrack’s management and employees for complaining about what was being done to him in a bar owned and operated by “Chicago’s Harvey Milk” and “Gay & Lesbian Hall of Fame inductee” Art Johnston. It is the absolute height of hypocrisy and a case that’s got everyone in Boystown buzzing…because it’s horrifying to many to see that after all these years of Johnston taking to soap boxes to claim that gay people were perpetual victims of bullying it’s now clear that gay people can actually be extremely effective bullies of Christians when they intend to be. The whole thing has a very “Bonfire of the Vanities” feel to it, because the case involves the most prominent gay man in Chicago — a person who regularly rails against Christians and conservatives as evil bigots — actually being the one inflicting pain, suffering, and abuse on another and violating a Christian’s civil rights due in part to his commitment to Jesus Christ.
If roles were reversed and it was another story about a prominent religious figure who was openly persecuting a gay guy, the media would be all over this like white on rice (or pink on a drag queen)…but the reason you have not heard a rainbow peep about this from anyone but me is because there is a complete embargo in the news about “gay community leaders” ever doing anything wrong to others. I guess the media believes that if they don’t talk about it, then it never happened…which has been the strategy of choice for the Obama Regime through the IRS scandal, Benghazi, the AP phone taps, Pigford, Fast & Furious, and everything else that’s befallen us in this the Golden Age of Hope and Change.
When this story breaks nationally (and I guarantee it will, if I have to seance the ghosts of Dominick Dunne and Truman Capote to help me cover it on a daily basis when the trial starts) it’s going to be mighty hard for the institutional Left to trot gays out in front of the media in the future and claim conservatives and Christians are so evil…because here in Chicago this case against Johnston and Sidetrack proves that gays are hypocrites…in that they don’t pass up an opportunity to do to others what they claim is so terrible when it’s done to them…because they are just so used to getting away with this stuff and think no one will ever call them out.
Well, I’m calling Art Johnston and Sidetrack out for their bad behavior…and I hope you do too!
J.P., the employee who filed suit against Johnston and Sidetrack, was mercilessly harassed and retaliated against as punishment from Johnston for complaining to the EEOC about the hostile work conditions in Boystown’s largest and best-known gay bar. Johnston, who is a large fundraiser for and cultish supporter of Barack Obama’s, declared all-out war on his former employee in retaliation for his complaint…including falsely challenging the poor guy’s unemployment benefits, with Sidetrack’s chosen representative in the hearings that followed perjuring himself while under oath on five separate occasions in an attempt to tell enough lies to have J.P.’s unemployment benefits taken away from him. The good news is that the administrative judge assigned by the state saw through the perjury and ruled that Sidetrack’s representative, its accountant Bryan Portman, was “not credible”…which is a polite way of saying the man was a damn and dirty liar while under oath; the bad news is that having his unemployment benefits challenged over a period of several months where Sidetrack kept lying during the hearings inflicted severe emotional distress on a young man who was trying desperately to find a new job. Instead of being able to focus on that, he had to worry about what new lies Sidetrack would tell at hearings or what else employees of Johnston’s would do to either silence him or intimidate him into dropping his lawsuit.
Like Obama and Holder on the national level, Johnston’s long been accustomed to fawning praise in the Chicago media, no doubt in part to the large sums of money he gives to causes dear to the institutional Left and the role Johnston has always served as an attack dog in Illinois (always ready, willing, and enthusiastic about making speeches or granting interviews condemning one conservative or Christian or another as evil incarnate and an enemy of gay people…which always comes in handy in election years, because one of Democrats’ favorite tactics is to polarize their opponents as loathsome villains and alienate them from voters because “they are enemies of the gay community”); because of all the chits he’s collected through the years from the Chicago Machine, Johnston behaves like someone who does not believe that laws such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 apply to him…at least in part because the media refuses to hold prominent gays like him accountable for anything.
All of this is instructive for anyone struggling with what’s happening in Washington right now with Holder and the officials from the IRS who are either lying under oath or are pleading the Fifth (like Lois Lerner from the IRS) to avoid directly lying (since telling the truth would force them to admit they were in fact abusing government agencies to punish and persecute “enemies” of Barack Obama); conservatives always seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the fact that people on the Left have absolutely no qualms about doing things like this…and that they do it every day, in matters local or national. This is just how they are wired and as long as they keep getting away with it they will just keep on doing it. Especially when Democrats hold so many state and national offices.
I became an armchair expert on perjury in the state of Illinois because of this suit that J.P. brought against Johnston and Sidetrack as I’m one of the witnesses in the case and was present when Sidetrack’s accountant, Bryan Portman, lied under oath repeatedly during those IDES hearings. As a result, I have clearly become one of Art Johnston’s most favorite people in the whole wide world. I was forced to submit an affidavit attesting to the fact I witnessed the perjury, as well as evidence that established that Portman was indeed purposefully lying in an attempt to manufacture misconduct on J.P.’s part that would have justified his termination by Johnston. J.P. complained to IDES about the fact that Sidetrack as an employer perjured itself in the hearings…but IDES said it has no mechanism under Illinois statute to do anything about it. An employer lying to IDES is indeed illegal…but IDES isn’t empowered to even so much as fine the employer for doing that.
Apparently, perjury under oath only seems to matter if a prosecutor selectively decides to enforce the statutes prohibiting it; this appears to be one of those “selective enforcement” issues, with prosecutors claiming they never have resources to pursue perjury against someone…unless that person is high profile enough to be dragged before the cameras in some political move Democrats have engineered. I spent a few weeks hounding officials at IDES until I was able to speak to the General Counsel and someone in the Executive Director’s office…and I learned that a big city like Chicago depletes county and state resources in so many other ways that prosecutors will never bring charges against an employer for lying under oath at an unemployment benefits hearing. The fact that the state’s attorney general can credibly say “we don’t have the resources to file charges against Bryan Portman and Sidetrack for perjury” is license for Illinois to just look the other way when a prominent gay-owned business is the victimizer and law-breaking…but you better believe that “resources” would materialize lickety-split if it was a Christian business being accused of perjuring itself in hearings against a gay employee.
Since someone like Art Johnston knows he can get away with almost anything in Illinois, there was nothing to give him any sort of pause when it came to sending Portman to those hearings to perjure himself. He knew he’d never be punished when it was clear Portman was lying and probably figured he’d roll the dice and maybe luck out if Portman was a good enough liar to convince the judge to take J.P.’s benefits away. The goal, according to the suit filed against Johnston and Sidetrack in federal court, was to cause J.P. severe emotional distress by forcing him to worry for months about what was going to happen to his benefits…perhaps in an attempt to get him to drop his suit if Sidetrack would stop challenging those benefits he depended upon.
The media will never allow you to believe that a “gay community” leader like Art Johnston in Chicago can be the victimizer and not a perpetual victim, the way that the institutional Left insists on treating and using gays…but I hope you are smart enough to see just how often “gay community leaders” like Johnston act as the Left’s goon squads and enforcers in the political and cultural arena…since the media prevents conservatives and Christians from ever saying a bad word about gays (lest they be branded the dreaded “homophobes!” pejorative).
In a sick way, it’s almost a sign of immense progress in the country that a man like Johnston — who claims to be an activist and civil rights leader but is really a rather entitled Alinskyite at heart — is now the one abusing other people’s civil rights…since it shows that the march towards equality for gays has finally reached a point where, YES, gays are so equal and mainstream in America now that they are just as likely to victimize others as they are to be victims themselves.
This is quite similar to our first black Attorney General committing perjury, willfully breaking the law, looking the other way and never prosecuting favored groups, and doing all the other terrible things he’s done in the last five years….in much the same way that racist Attorneys General of the past possibly victimized black people under Jim Crowe. But, here in 2013 we have a black AG appointed by the “historic and unprecedented first black president” who uses his office to mostly persecute and punish white people in violation of the law…while in Chicago we’ve got a self-styled “gay community leader” who appears to be the biggest and most abusive bully in town and who does things to his Christian employees that gay people in the past would have accused religious people of doing to them in a 1950s workplace. In a sick way, it’s actually weirdly refreshing that our country has course-corrected in such a way that people who would have been legitimate victims 60 years ago are now so protected and favored in our culture that they feel empowered to assume the roles of victimizers.
We have truly become so equal and advanced in this country that the real racists in power are now black and the malicious bigots are actually now gay…though the Ministry of Truth that is our media continues pretending that the opposite’s still true, even though our world hasn’t been that way in a long, long time.
I’m not sure if that’s the hopeychange Barack Obama promised us back in 2008…but it’s certainly what we’ve got in Chicago and Washington in 2013.
[ Click above to embiggen ]
Today, Congressman Darrell Issa’s subcommittee held testimony in the House investigation into the weaponization of the IRS as a means to intimidate, harass, and persecute Americans who were affiliated with the Tea Party, Christian groups, or had other conservative leanings. More hearings will come, but the clear pattern we’re seeing on a national level is that the Left uses federal government agencies as goon squads to target Americans on their enemies’ lists…and they believe they can get away with this because of who’s in the White House and who’s running the Justice Department.
On the micro-level of the City of Chicago, there’s a lawsuit currently in federal court in the District of Illinois Eastern Division that’s been filed against Art Johnston and Sidetrack the Video Bar which illustrates that the proclivity of using government agencies to harass “enemies” isn’t reserved for Democrats in Washington, but in fact is just normal operating procedure amongst Leftist “fellow travelers”.
Johnston, a devote Obama supporter and large fundraiser for his personality cult, is currently being sued by a former employee who was fired from his job as a doorman in Johnston’s bar because the employee complained about sexual harassment, religious discrimination, and retaliation (for his complaining to management about the harassment he received from coworkers, managers, and third party customers egged on to harass the Plaintiff by Sidetrack employees). Johnston fired this employee in August of 2011 after the employee hired a lawyer and prepared a complaint to the EEOC about the hostile working conditions that Johnston maintains in Sidetrack the Video Bar.
[ Entrance to Sidetrack the Video Bar in 2008, when Johnston heavily promoted the election of Barack Obama as a fellow traveler ]
Shortly after he fired the employee, Johnston had his accountant, Bryan Portman, file a false challenge to the employee’s unemployment benefits…alleging the employee was terminated for “insubordination”. This was a trumped-up charge because the employee never committed any act of “insubordination” (as a judge would later conclude) and was instead fired for filing an EEOC complaint (which is retaliation prohibited under the Civil Rights Act of 1964). The challenge to the employee’s unemployment benefits was made via the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), which is the government entity in Illinois that handles unemployment insurance (and employers’ challenges to these claims).
There’s no question in my mind that Johnston filed this challenge against the employee’s rightful benefits solely to harass and persecute this person, because Johnston was upset that this former employee was suing Sidetrack for five counts of harassment and retaliation in federal court. Johnston had available to him the IDES challenge and though he should have known that this challenge would fail, he pushed the button anyway just to cause the employee to sweat and worry if the benefits he depended on to survive after his firing would be taken away from him. It’s actually a separate and additional violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for an employer such as Johnston to file a meritless challenge to unemployment benefits just to harass a former employee….which is ironic because Johnston styles himself as a gay community “civil rights” leader who is constantly claiming that gays are persecuted by Christians. But, yet, here comes Johnston persecuting a Christian employee of his bar and violating this employee’s civil rights with this considered and determined harassment.
An IDES hearing at the local level immediately ruled in the employee’s favor, with the Adjudicator determining in less than a minute of interview with the employee that there was no act of insubordination involved in his firing and that the challenge to his benefits was thus meritless. Johnston then appealed the Adjudicator’s decision and decided to continue harassing the employee by challenging his benefits to the next level, which involved hearings before a Judge in IDES’ appeals division that required the employee to retain an attorney for the proceedings.
During these hearings, Sidetrack’s accountant Portman lied under oath multiple times to the Judge, in an attempt to have the employee’s unemployment benefits taken away from him. The employee suffered immense emotional distress during this process (which stretched on for months), because in this economy he was unable to find another job and still depended on his unemployment benefits. Johnston was clearly aware that Portman committed multiple acts of perjury in the IDES hearings…but gave his blessing to these actions because the goal was to harass and persecute the former employee as much as possible (as punishment for this guy suing Johnston and Sidetrack for the harassment he was subjected to there while he was an employee).
Ultimately, the IDES Judge ruled in the employee’s favor and stated that he did not believe Portman to be credible; the challenge to the benefits was completely meritless. Though the employee was vindicated, he was still forced to endure several months’ of worry and anxiety because Johnston decided to use a government agency to persecute him. This was very much the equivalent of the IRS auditing someone just because he was a Christian, conservative with Tea Party spirit.
Interestingly, this case proves that there’s really nothing an employer has to lose by lying during a challenge to unemployment benefits…because the Attorney General in Illinois will not pursue perjury charges against an employer for lying under oath during these hearings. After speaking to several people in IDES administration, I learned that no one working there could remember a time when an employer was prosecuted for perjury during an IDES hearing…because the prosecutors don’t have the financial resources to go after these people (supposedly). “The judges know that the employer is lying, and then the judge rules that the employee keeps the benefits” was the general consensus of the IDES officials I spoke to. “Their only punishment is that they had to pay a lawyer to be there when they lied, so it cost them money and then they didn’t succeed in taking a person’s benefits away in the end”. There is no mechanism available in Illinois law for an employer to be fined or punished in any way for filing a meritless challenge to an employee’s benefits. But, I believe there should be…since these challenges cause so much grief and stress for people whose energies should be focused solely on finding a new job.
Art Johnston is considered one of the “godfathers” of the gay community in Chicago, with his bar Sidetrack being “the heart of Boystown” (as it’s self-styled on its website). He’s extremely quick to point fingers and label all sorts of Christian, conservative figures “villains” for this, that or the other…especially by using the organization Equality Illinois (which he principally funds) as a proxy to scold his “enemies” as bigots if they oppose anything the Obama Regime does to this country. Simultaneously, Johnston chooses to knowingly file meritless challenges to an employee’s unemployment benefits (just because he can) and sends his accountant to perjure himself during hearings before IDES (because he knows that no one will prosecute him for it). This is very consistent with how the Left operates in general.
“Hypocrisy” is a term the Left seems woefully unacquainted with.
If you look carefully enough where you live, you will see that what’s happening in Washington DC with the IRS right now is just a larger and more high-profile example of what members of the Left do every single day in your community. This is the classic Alinsky Mindset of decimating your opponent (or, “enemy”, as the Left calls them) in any way possible…and specifically using arms of the government to do this wherever they can get away with it.
Whatever happens with the IRS scandal hearings won’t cure the cultural problem we have in this country, embodied in people like Boystown’s own Art Johnston, who are so steeped in the Alinsky Methods of the Left that they use harassment and personal destruction as standard operating procedures (all the while accusing Christians of being the REAL villains in our world!). If this is happening here in Chicago, I know it’s happening where you live…and it’s high time people started talking about all this and deciding as a nation that business-as-usual isn’t acceptable anymore.
QUESTION FOR COMMENTS: Have you seen members of the Left abuse a government agency to persecute or punish an individual where you live? Do you recognize this as a disturbing trend amongst Leftists and Obama’s fellow travelers?
Beware the Annie Wilkes Brigade: Author Charlaine Harris Terrorized By Self-Professed “Fans” Inspired to Jihad On the Internet
Ever since True Blood premiered on HBO in 2008, I’ve enjoyed author Charlaine Harris’ “Southern Vampire Mysteries”…which I call “visiting with my pal Sookie Stackhouse” as I read the latest edition in this series each May. Before the characters migrated to TV, I was mildly aware of Ms. Harris’ series but never picked up one of the books because I thought the cartoonish cover art looked silly and the titles like Dead Until Dawn and Club Dead felt like Young Adult or possibly Romance selections…and those are parts of a bookstore in which I’ve never shopped. And, YES, I really shouldn’t have judged a book by its cover in this case, because the Southern Vampire Mysteries are great (even if I still do think the artwork is…probably not what I would have picked to market the series).
I’ve long been fascinated by the South and I realized I was gay and came out just as the Tom Cruise/Brad Pitt adaptation of Anne Rice’s Interview with A Vampire hit theaters in the mid-90s. I absolutely devoured those “Vampire Chronicles” Anne Rice books and for a brief moment in time thought Ms. Rice was the absolute greatest writer in the whole wide world (which I attribute in retrospect to just an immense transference of affection onto Rice from the raging crush I had on Brad Pitt at the time, back when he was young and dreamy and playing the titular vampire who was interviewed in her book).
Preconditioned to enjoy the vampire genre by fond memories of Interview (including a trip I took down to New Orleans in 1996 or so to attend a Halloween party in Rice’s own, creepy house…that was apparently toned DOWN in creepiness for a Halloween party, if you can believe it), I just fell head over heels for True Blood from the first episode…and it’s become my favorite summer guilty pleasure ever since. The show forced me to discover the source material and I quickly became an admirer of Ms. Harris’ (who seems a lot nicer and much more normal than Ms. Rice has ever been). It’s incredibly rare for me to read fiction, because there’s always a stack of political and policy works I need to get to and more often than not for fun I like reading natural science, travelogues, or essays with a comedic bent. But, for many years each May I’d rush to the Barnes & Noble that used to be close to me in Boystown and I’d excitedly purchase the latest “Sookie Book” that Ms. Harris gifted to her readers.
I put a strong emphasis on “gifted” because, more so than works of nonfiction or contemporaneous reporting, novels are gifts to the world by the authors who conceived them. It’s one thing to report on an event you witnessed or to write up your analysis of some political scandal…but writers of fiction conjure entire universes in their imagination and often struggle for years to bring these characters to life on the page. Writing a romantic or exciting adventure story with characters you’ve completely invented in your imagination is a marvelous and precious skill…and though these writers are sharing these tales with the world instead of keeping them private, these stories and all the fictional characters in them remain the universe (and property) of that writer. As long as that person is living, she or he should forever have ultimate say over any of the characters that she or he created. They are shared with readers, but the readers do not own these characters (or the author who created them).
I’ve always felt very lucky that Ms. Harris shared “Sookie Stackhouse” and all of her friends (and enemies) in Bon Temps, Louisiana with the rest of us. Living in Chicago, I’d get to head to the beach with the latest of Harris’ books under my arm and I’d lay out in the sun on a towel by Lake Michigan and soak in all of the colorful Southern-fried adventures that she imagined in her latest 300-some page romp. No airport or $300 plane ticket was ever needed for me to be magically transported down to Louisiana for a visit with Sookie & Company whenever I’d crack open a Charlaine Harris novel. I can’t pretend the stories aren’t silly — because they are — and that often what a lot of characters did in the yarns didn’t make all that much sense. Since the vampires in Ms. Rice’s stories also seemed like eternally-young oddballs and engaged in a lot of political and ceremonial nonsense, I continue to chalk this up to equal parts Southern eccentricity and the fact that vampires be crazy.
Justin laughs at this but my favorite parts in all of the Sookie books are when she does mundane things that often serve no larger purpose: going to the law office of someone or another because she wants to write an agreement up for a loan, buying a dress somewhere for some event she has to attend (and seemingly picking out the ugliest things imaginable, but thinking they are wonderful since as a waitress in a bar in the middle of nowhere she doesn’t know any better and doesn’t have a gay male best friend to help her), cleaning out her attic or doing gardening or drinking sweet tea while sunbathing or whatever. I think I enjoy reading about Sookie’s errands because when I don’t have anywhere I need to be and I’m not working on something this is mostly the sort of things I do here in Chicago around town. Back in 2004, when I was deciding what city I wanted to live in next it came down between Chicago and New Orleans and Chicago only won-out because I started dating a guy who lived here. So, I guess through Sookie’s trips to the gas station or to the grocery store I’ve had a little taste of what it would have been like to live in Louisiana instead of Illinois in my late-20s and into my 30s…and for that I’m grateful to Ms. Harris.
Earlier this month, Ms. Harris released the final book in her 13-volume Sookie series…and I made a big production of it here at Buzzquarters the way I used to celebrate the release of all the Harry Potter books. I enjoy dusting off my party-and-event-planning background once in a while to make themed meals for Justin and my friends. Truth be told, I think Ms. Harris’ books are just as fun as J.K. Rowling’s (though obviously geared more for adults)…and they lend themselves to all sorts of tasty recipes (that are a Southern-fried magic of their own). You wouldn’t immediately think books about blood and vampires would do that, but it’s true. I bought a small honey baked ham and cooked up a big gumbo pot of red beans and rice and made hoe cakes and peach wings to pick at all day and into the evening as I read this last Sookie book. It was just as much fun as all of the others in the series, with all the same colorful Southern touches that I love (and, of course, trips to the store and other random places that I think are amusing). I smiled so hard and so often while reading the book that my face hurt and I felt sad reaching the last chapter because I knew it was the final novel and there’s likely to be not much more Sookie after this, aside from an appearance here or there in future short stories. It’s tough when anything you love has to end…but that’s just the nature of life (for us non-vampires anyway). I just decided to celebrate the end of the series with some great food and last laughs with Sookie before Ms. Harris retired these characters…as is her right as an author to do so.
And now I’ve decided to tell you all of this because Ms. Harris is a nice and sweet Southern woman who looks like someone who could be your auntie or at the very least a cousin you are always happy to see. In interviews, she is soft-spoken and fun…and there’s just a hint of ribald wit and naughtiness behind her church lady smile. Where Anne Rice always has looked like a very strange and unbalanced person who clearly could do only one thing in life (and that’s write books about vampires and witches) Charlaine Harris could have been your fifth grade teacher.
So, it’s just impossible for me to imagine anyone on Earth hating this woman or threatening to kill her…but that’s exactly what’s been going on with a jihad of irate “super fans” who’ve vowed to personally destroy Ms. Harris because they didn’t like the ending to her Dead Ever After novel.
Read the rest of this entry »