Taking a break from the politics for a moment, I thought it would be nice to address the elephant in the room and talk a little about my breakup with my boyfriend of six years, Justin, for those of you who care. I’ve received so many nice messages from many old friends of this site that I thought I’d fill you in on some of the behind-the-scenes events that have unfolded alongside this election. Because we are friends like that…and because I think it’s beyond marvelous that conservative readers care about two gay guys in Chicago splitting up.
It’s always interesting to go to sleep after a presidential debate and then wake up the next morning thinking about what just happened. Some debates in the past — especially any featuring Mitt Romney or John McCain — could have put you to sleep. Not last night’s throw down between Hillary and Trump, however. Here are some thoughts I have this morning after watching what I think was the most exciting and surreal presidential debate ever.
1. The Town Hall format is a stupid sham. Let’s be real about this. Why continue this farce? First, the people allowed int he audience are all specifically selected by some polling company. They say they are “undecideds” (which to me means they are so stupid that they couldn’t choose between a Big Mac and chicken nuggets if they had five hours at a Drive-Thru) but is that really true? Listen to the questions asked by the ones that were allowed to talk. I think they way they phrased things or the topics they chose to talk about reveal that they aren’t “undecided” at all. On top of that, CSPAN revealed how the whole process works: once these “undecided” people are chosen, they are given four cards to fill out, with one question per card. Then, Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz or people working for them went through the cards and selected which ones they wanted people to ask during the debate. I don’t think you can really still call something a Town Hall forum if you pick what people are allowed to ask. Isn’t the whole point of a Town Hall that regular people stand up and speak and it’s all unpredictable? Like going to a local village board meeting. No one clears what you can talk about beforehand. The Presidential Debate Commission needs to retire this Town Hall format because it’s just become a time-waster, with various people in an audience asking canned, pre-approved questions that were selected by the debate moderators. So what’s the point of even having these “townspeople” when they have been essentially gagged and muted and are just reading lines prepared for them?
2. Trump did what Mitt Romney and John McCain should have done in years past…and I cheered! I really loved it when Trump would call out Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz on their bias and the way that they would interrupt Trump but not Hillary. Haven’t we all had enough of this? During these debates, Trump and Hillary will get into some interesting exchanges…but then the moderators jump in and want to move things along to some other schizophrenic topic. Why not allow the American people to hear from the candidates? The moderators seem to feel that they have this one moment in the spotlight and they want to get as much out of the spotlight as possible, so they interrupt and tell the candidates to stop talking to prove that they are important. What they don’t realize is that nobody cares about these moderators. If they need to feel special and important, they should get a therapist to tell them how special they are for $400/hour. Why can’t the two candidates just have a conversation for 90 minutes and talk about their differences and why they each feel they should have the job of being president? Why do we need Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz and Lester Holt and that Hispanic/Asian Woman from the VP debate? What value do they add to the proceedings?
3. Trump was really effective using humor against Hillary. There is no comeback possible for ridicule. He made her look really stupid with some well-delivered humorous jabs. This is something that Republicans never seem to understand, but regular people gravitate towards. My favorite line from Trump last night popped up during an exchange where Hillary said that Trump should never be president…and he told her she wouldn’t want that because she’d be in jail. I hope he keeps hammering the promise that if he’s elected he will demand a special prosecutor to look over the FBI’s mishandling of that email investigation. I believe that FBI Director Comey should be in jail too, along with current AG Loretta Lynch. Everyone who engaged in political posturing and interfered with that investigation needs to go to jail. And stay there for a while. I know that there must still be good and decent people working at the FBI. This is similar to how we are always told that there are good Muslims out there, somewhere. Even though no one can ever find these good Muslims, they are supposedly out there somewhere. If that’s true, then I don’t understand why those mythical good Muslims don’t speak out against the other Muslims who are killing gays, mistreating women, blowing things up, and plotting against the United States. If there really are good people still working in the FBI, then they need to come out from hiding and speak out against Director Comey and Loretta Lynch. The FBI has destroyed its credibility and can no longer be trusted, just as the IRS cannot be trusted. Do people think this will get better or worse with the Clintons back in the White House?
4. It was surreal having Bill Clinton’s victims in the audience. They need to come to the next debate too. But when they tell their stories, they need to understand that most people have never heard any of this before. Sometimes when they speak, they think it’s the 1990s again and everyone knows all the details. Millennials are the laziest and most self-absorbed generation we’ve ever had in this country. If it didn’t happen 15 minutes ago, they don’t know about it. If it happened before they were even born, you might as well be telling them about dinosaurs eating breakfast in the Jurassic period. Bill’s victims need to understand just how attention-deficit and ignorant Millennials are…so when they speak, they need to do more to get the Millennials to understand how horrific everything was that Bill did to them. They can’t mince words or hold back. Millennials don’t have the patience or the natural smarts to pick up on euphemisms and innuendo. And it’s Millennials who really need to hear this stuff, because the rest of us lived through it all and remember it.
5. The Establishment really wants to stop Trump and it’s clear that the GOP is part of the Establishment. We are in such a strange place politically right now. I think it’s clear we have three true parties at the moment, even if only two are recognized formally: we have the Democrats, who were taken over the Left and will continue to be a far-Left party for the foreseeable future, based on how popular Bernie Sanders ended up being. Then we have the GOP, which is clearly run by the Establishment…and that Establishment wants Hillary Clinton to win because she is seen as one of them. And if Hillary would win, nothing would change and the Establishment would keep its comfy existence. And then there’s the Deplorables, which I think is actually the majority of the country. The Deplorables are looked down upon by Democrats and the Establishment. Trump might be running under the Republican framework but he is clearly the candidate of the Deplorables…which I define as people who love America and hate what the Establishment has been doing to this country.
If Hillary Clinton would win, I think that all of the tension and stress and problems we have now will just get worse. There will be years of continued scandal, since she proved that she creates new scandals instead of just trying to hide things her husband did. All of this email business and Benghazi and Libya and now Syria are her own scandals. The things she does that George Soros tells her to do are all on her, not her husband. I don’t know who wants to sit through all of this unraveling and new terrible things happening for the next four years.
On the other hand, you have Donald Trump, who has proven that he’s not afraid to shake things up or burn things to the ground. He was brave enough to do things that John McCain and Mitt Romney never had the guts to do during these debates. He horrified the Establishment by calling those moderators out and by punching back twice as hard at everything the Left threw at him in recent days.
Isn’t that who you’d want to be president? A fighter? A brass-knuckled pugilist who will take the fight to everyone who deserves to be punched down a few pegs? I don’t know about you, but that’s what I want to see. The entire Establishment needs to come crashing down. I saw that back in 2008 and felt that everything has been rigged in the last 8 years, with George Soros in particular having too much power and sway over our country. He is a living, breathing James Bond villain…and no one does a damn thing about him.
Do you think that Hillary Clinton would ever do anything about George Soros?
I’m not sure if Donald Trump would have it on his agenda, but I think there’s at least a chance that Soros would be stopped by Trump. If anyone on earth would move against Soros, it would be Trump. That became clear again during the debate last night, as I think when Trump brought up Soros twice it was the first time ever that this evil creature was ever discussed during a presidential debate. That’s a start.
I can’t wait to see what happens on October 19th, though I wish these things went on longer and I wish there were no interruptions of the candidates from the sock puppets who are moderating. Let’s try the last one without a moderator and see what happens.
What did you think of the debate last night?
What: Day Two of Republican Convention in Cleveland, 7/19/16
Stream: Using either YouTube for GOP official stream or CSPAN stream to watch online
Why: Real time notes as convention unfolds, starting at 430pm CST on 7/19/16
1. If you enjoy these live streams of the convention, let me know in comments. I don’t mind doing this every day for people who are not able to watch the whole thing and would like a summary as it’s happening. I’ll also Tweet shorter comments throughout if you’d like to follow on Twitter too.
2. Here are the speakers scheduled for tonight:
3. CSPAN really is a terrific resource. In addition to the live stream, they have historical postings about past conventions as well, including videos of past speeches. They only go back to the 1980s from what I can see, but maybe they have other years on there too. We’re really at a point where culturally the 1980s are becoming ancient history to a lot of people and Millennials are 90s-minded, so anything before Reagan is being forgotten it seems.
4. I don’t know if I am enjoying this convention more than others because it’s being held in my hometown or if I enjoy it because it’s just so much better than a typical convention. I love that the Bush Family and McCain/Romney boycotted it. All sorts of other terrible people I don’t like have also stayed away. I wish Paul Ryan didn’t show up and I hope he gets booed. Looking at the list of speakers, I am most interested in what the Attorney Generals are going to say. Hope they talk about FBI Directory Comey and the decision to look the other way regarding the crimes he admits that Hillary Clinton committed with her email server. I am also looking forward to hearing from Donald Trump’s son and daughter and Ben Carson (whom I hope is the next Surgeon General). Chris Christie will be a great speech too. I hope he is our next Attorney General.
5. I hope that Trump announces who he’d like his Cabinet to be. It feels like at least two Cabinet members will be speaking tonight (Carson and Christie). Trump could legally say who he’d like to be in his Cabinet by saying “someone exactly like Chris Christie for Attorney General” and “someone just like Ben Carson for Surgeon General” without breaking any election rules of offering positions to someone during a campaign. But it would be nice if for the first time in history the American public was given an idea of who would fill out the Cabinet before deciding on the President. In reality, when the public elects someone to the presidency, they are choosing who will fill all those other positions by nature of the fact that the person they choose for the top spot fills out everything else. Why can’t Americans have a better idea of what their choice means? I like the notion of Trump coming forward and showing what he’d like his administration to look like. This way, Americans have a better idea of what their future would be like for the next 4 years with the various people who will be making the news by running various federal agencies.
6. It’s 430pm CST. Getting my CSPAN on. They are showing people in the convention hall wearing funny hats, I guess representing their states. Going to something like this is totally not my kind of thing at all. I just think it’s all so wasteful and don’t understand the need to travel to one place to do all this stuff, but that’s just me. I also don’t know why it needs to be an entire week. Are regular people (who don’t follow politics closely) really watching this? To me, money would be better spent producing a really good documentary movie and then having the networks all air it. Each side would make a movie and have their speeches. The networks could show Republicans’ movie one night. The next week they would show the Democrats’ movie. The parties could have the movies available on YouTube too. And no one would have to wear silly hats and spend all that money traveling. But, again, maybe I don’t understand the joy of wearing silly hats as it’s not my thing.
7. There are a lot of white people enthusiastically dancing badly to a mediocre band playing “Keep on rolling.” This is like any ticketed street festival in Chicago where there is an admission price during the summer. It will only be suburban white people wearing crisp resort wear, holding drinks, and dancing like this (some with silly hats). It’s such a Chicago thing.
8. A lot of Hillary for Prison signs in the crowd. It really makes my heart sick what Hillary did to herself, and by extension her loyal supporters from 2008. In a just world, Hillary would have had to go before a grand jury of citizens who would have decided if she should stand trial. Instead, the Establishment decided to circle wagons and not prosecute her. In my opinion, only a grand jury should have made that decision. I also feel strongly that Director Comey, if he was a decent man, should have resigned on July 5th in his speech. He should have stood there and said that he was pressured to not recommend prosecution of Hillary…and that since he took an oath when he joined the FBI that he could not longer serve in an organization that had been so corrupted. He should have made history that day, calling on every honest FBI officer to resign along with him in protest. Can you imagine the historic moment that would have been? If thousands of FBI agents/officers had walked out of the Hoover Building? Hillary Clinton would have been forced to withdraw from the race that day. It would have been like the ending of The Pelican Brief movie. July 6th, Loretta Lynch would have been pressured to resign in disgrace. By the end of the week, I think the good FBI people could have been brought back, the bad apples involved in the pressuring of Comey would have been rooted out, and the Senate could have called hearings to start cleaning up the Justice Department. Men today have no guts and no testosterone and nothing below the waist these days. They are all so timid. Just imagine if Comey had been a real man from another era and how he could have altered history by bringing down Hillary, Lynch, and the corrupt Justice Department that day. What a missed opportunity.
9. Reince Preibus opens the convention. Cleveland Police Color Guard presenting flags. A bunch of people dressed up in ethnic costumes came onto the stage for some reason to do the Pledge of Allegiance. I kind of think the ethnic stuff needs to be put away once people come to this country. When you become an American citizen, your nationality becomes American. If you were born here, your nationality is American. Wherever distance relatives of yours lived 100 or 300 years ago is irrelevant. Save the ethnic costumes for Halloween. Wear red, white, and blue instead.
10. 450pm CST Paul Ryan is speaking. UGH. I can’t stand him and I want him to lose his primary race, but I still think he is handsome. I hate myself for thinking he is handsome. I think nerdy is sexy though. Curse you Paul Ryan, for simultaneously being sexy as well as terrible. No wonder you remind me of my ex Harvey (who you can read about in SHUT UP! The Bizarre War that One Public Library Waged Against the First Amendment).
11. Jeff Sessions gives nominating speech. Nation is falling apart. Government says you need to be politically correct. If you complain, then you will be attacked. One man, Donald Trump was not intimidated. He would not be silenced. He spoke the truth. He gave voice to the people’s concerns. He said that the trade deals have hurt America. We must secure our border. That our nation must be strong. That we must defeat Islam. We just restore law and order. We must support our courageous and good law enforcement officers. The American voters heard this message and they rewarded Donald Trump’s courage and leadership with a huge victory in the primaries. Trump dispatched one talented and fine candidate after another. Momentum and a movement started. Democrats and independents responded. Trump received more primary votes than any Republican candidate in history. Sessions talks about Trump he knows: wonderful family that he loves. He is courteous and generous. He is positive by nature. He has tremendous energy and strength. He is a warrior and winner. He loves America and wants to see it be a winner again.
12. Chris Collins (NY) speaks next. China and Mexico are stealing our jobs. Time to take back our country and make United States great again. President Trump will build wall and secure our borders. He will defeat terrorism and make our country safe again. Trump will bring back our stolen jobs. Western New Yorkers know that Donald Trump is not a candidate but a movement. He seconds Sessions’ nomination of Trump to be the 45th President of the United States of America.
13. South Carolina Lt. Governor speaks next. He was the first elected official to endorse Donald Trump. He seconds the nomination as well. Talks about 12/7/1941, after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese admiral realized all they did was awaken a sleeping giant. But the giant went back to sleep. In recent years, the world lost confidence in the US. Weakness, decline, chaos and oblivion. CS Lewis: men without chess, haunting words. 8 years of incompetence, arrogance, and disrespect for rule of law. American people have had enough. I’ve had enough. You’ve had enough. We’ve all had enough. It’s time to act. We are going to act. The sleeping giant of the American giant has been awakened and is sounding the call to make America great again. Trump is remarkable man. Strength, accomplishment, vision. He will win the ferocious battle ahead. Have you seen Trump with people at the rallies? They wait 8 or 10 hours just to be able to meet and see the man. People cry, WE LOVE YOU DONALD and he says he loves them too. He gives autographs, smiles, and enjoys posing for photographs. He loves his wife Melania. He loves his family. He is walking away from a business enterprise because he loves his country and he wants to go to work for us. We are awakened. We are filled with resolve to fight and win. There’s something happening here. What it is is precisely clear. We will make America great again with Donald Trump.
14. ROLL CALL OF STATES: I actually really enjoy watching this, hearing all the states, seeing the people chosen to speak. This is one of my favorite parts of the convention.
Alabama (50 delegates); talks about football teams and hollers, home of Saturn 5 rocket to moon, place with two great Trump rallies. 36 votes for Trump.
Alaska (28 delegates); largest state in union, more coastline than any other, energy, Arctic, fishing tourism, God Bless Alaska last frontier. 28 votes Trump
American Samoa (9 delegates); hello world and hello America, southern most reaches of US soil, greatest exporter of NFL players, whole kit and caboodle of 9 delegates to future President Donald J. Trump
Some of this does start to feel like one of the Star Wars prequels. Where George Lucas took the action to the Galactic Senate for votes on trade negotiations.
Arizona (58 delegates); hottest state for job growth. 58 votes to Trump.
Arkansas (40); land of opportunity. Birthplace of Johnny Cash and Al Green. Republicans control almost all offices. Unemployment at lowest in history. Best duck hunting. Rice production. Catfish. World cast trout. Cast 25 votes for Donald Trump.
California (172); shouting WE WANT TRUMP, important for our sons to have good jobs and hope for future; safety in communities; Donald Trump is candidate that can provide hope and opportunity of true America. 172 votes to next President Donald J. Trump. God Bless you and God Bless America. WE WANT TRUMP WE WANT TRUMP WE WANT TRUMP This speaker was awesome!
Colorado (37); the state where plains meet the mountains, Denver Broncos, centennial state votes 4 votes to Donald J. Trump.
Connecticut (28); manufacture Pez, submarines, and WWE, all 28 delegates to Trump.
Delaware (16); first state to ratify constitution, diverse state of millennial candidates will win control of state legislature, all votes to Trump.
District of Columbia (19); delineated by Washington, graced by Lincoln, home of Frederick Douglas, 9 votes to Kasich 10 to Rubio. But that does not follow rules so 19 votes go to Trump. People got MAD when they tried to give delegates to other people than Trump.
Florida (99); sunshine state, Disney World, Florida keys, Daytona racing, 600 miles of beaches, paradise where you vacation but we live, home to veterans. State that gave LeBron James first two championships. Cannot win presidency without Florida. All 99 votes to Trump.
Georgia (76); peach state, number one state for business and business growth, Governor Nathan Dale, 42 votes for Trump. There are weird pauses sometimes when someone at a table is writing things. Not sure what they are doing on the stage.
Guam (9); tip of the spear of American might; home of B-1s and B-52s keeping America’s enemies at bay; place where tourists from Asia come to get a piece of America in Asia. Where America’s day begins, Guam…9 delegates to Trump.
Hawaii (19); Aloha from Hawaii. From Maui to Kauai, Trump 11 delegates.
Idaho (32); famous potatoes. Most Republican state in US. All statewide officers Republican. Red state. Proud to cast votes. 12 votes to Trump. More confusion at the table for some reason. There is shouting in the background.
Illinois (69); says Bruce Rauner is best governor. 54 delegates to Trump. Then the guy hooted like Howard Dean until microphone cut off.
Indiana (57); talks about Hoosiers and Pence. 57 votes to Trump.
Iowa (30); go hawks!; home of two hardest working US senators Grassley and Ernst and longest serving governor in history, Brandstad. 30 votes to Trump.
Kansas (40); home of world series champs Royals; home of iconic Bob Dole; 9 votes to Trump. I think they are checking the math or something with an abacus at the table.
Kentucky (46); home of Churchill Downs and American Pharaoh; largest Toyota plant; Chevy corvette; bourbon fit to drink in world; citizens respect God and constitution and military and police; 17 for Trump. Then there’s a pause as math is done at the table. Why didn’t they do math before now?
Louisiana (46); something about terrabone parrish; BUILD A WALL and restore national sovereignty. 31 Trump
Maine (23); forests lakes, state with 1 remaining federal Democrat; began Republican revival in Northeast; leading New England to greatness again; 9 votes Trump
Maryland (38); Chesapeake Bay; oldest state capital, birthplace of anthem, Naval Academy, Baltimore Orioles, alls 38 votes to Trump
Massachusetts (42); outperformed polls for Trump; Parson Hicks casts votes: guess what..we may be bluest state but 22 votes go to Trump. We will watch him make America great again come November.
Michigan (59); a woman who sounds like a Valley Girl says that Michigan passes. WEIRD
Minnesota; 10,000 lakes, SPAM, late great Prince. Longest drought since casting electoral votes for Republican. 8 votes for Trump
Mississippi (40); birthplace of music, 25 votes to Trump.
Missouri (52); says it is home to the Royals. St. Louis Cardinals, Birthplace of talk radio at Voice of St. Louis; home of Phyllis Scholarly; birthplace of ragtime and Roy Blunt; 41 votes to Trump. That’s what I’m talking about.
Montana (27); grateful to God for quiet beauty and grandeur of mountains and rolling plains. Secure liberty for future generations. 27 delegates to Trump.
Nebraska (36); the good life with great opportunity; corn huskers; find happiness from honest work and word is bond. 36 to Trump
Nevada; where blue lives matter; brought to statehood by first Republican president; what happens in Vegas will not stay in Vegas. We will cast our votes. The guy speaking weirdly called Vegas the capital of Nevada, but it’s not. 16 to Trump
New Hampshire; Corey Lewandowski. No income tax. First victory to Trump in primaries. 11 to Trump.
New Jersey (51); Chris Christie’s son Andrew is cute! 51 delegates to go Trump.
New Mexico (24); Susana Martinez speaks. Says culture is diverse and amazing. Land of enchantment. First female hispanic governor. 24 votes to Trump.
New York (95); PASSES…weird! I think they want to go at end to seal the deal.
North Carolina (72); long leaf pine, wheat grows strong, military installations, majestic Appalachian mountains fastest growing state economies; home of Billy Graham; party founded by blacks and whites; 10% of black colleges are in NC; 29 votes for Trump
North Dakota (28); Governor Dollripple (sp?); home of the current and 5-year SCS football champion bisons; home of national hockey champion U North Dakota hawks; only state to grow younger; 21 votes to Trump
Northern Mariana Islands (9), weather is 85 all year long; 7,000 miles away, first territory to endorse Trump. 9 to Trump
Ohio (66); my beloved Home State; Cleveland the city of champions. OH-IO. Mother of Presidents. 66 votes to Kasich. Which is stupid, but whatever.
Oklahoma (); second home to the Ryans for some reason. Jana Ryan must be from there. Has lots of Republicans in office. Energy and agriculture to fuel and feed country and world. All 77 counties will go to Trump. 24 votes to Trump.
Oregon (28); land of unrivaled beauty, mountains, deserts, pinot noir, cheese, hazelnuts, trees, soccer team Timbers; track town USA and Nike made ducks and beavers cool (what?); fight against Democrat corruption from crooked governor to crooked Hillary; 23 votes to Trump
Pennsylvania (77); keystone state, penguins, defers to New York and to Ed Koch (what?)
New York; the Empire State. Home of Donald Trump. First state to cast majority of votes for Trump. 61 of 62 counties with 60%+ Donald Jr and Ivanka are there! Tiffany too. All the Trump kids. Say New York will be in play. Not a campaign anymore, it’s a movement. Trump reaches total needed…89 delegates. Congratulations dad, we love you says Donald JR. The Trump kids look so proud, so happy. On 7/19/16 at 613pm CST, Trump officially becomes Nominee. New York, New York plays. His kids put him over the top, which is so cool. That’s why the other states deferred, to make this happen.
Then people danced for a long time, with the music playing. It’s official. Donald J. Trump is really the nominee. It still feels like BizarroWorld, but it’s true.
Puerto Rico (23); wants to be 51st state. 23 votes to Rubio because he speaks Spanish like they do.
Rhode Island (19); they are wearing little sailor hats. 1631 colony. Religious toleration/separation church state/ocean state. Beautiful there. Government is not working for people. State run by corrupt Dem machine for 80 years. Ranked near bottom. 50th worst in business climate. Dam leadership rampant with corruption and against transparency. Sounds like what Megan and went up against in Orland Park here near Chicago. 12 votes to Trump.
South Carolina; claims to be true peach state; palmetto state; Charleston city, Myrtle Beach; Boening, BMW, all 50 delegates to Trump
South Dakota (29); home of crazy horse, mount rushmore, 29 votes to Trump
Tennessee (58); the volunteer state, no income tax, balanced budget, surplus, top 5 jobs growth, auto manufacturing; Repub governor and 2 Senators; 2/3 majority in state legislature; pro-life state; 33 votes to Trump. Make America Great Again. Nobody was paying attention at the table so they had to repeat everything. Don’t they have this written down somewhere?
Texas (155); Greg Abbott got burned and couldn’t be there; a man who looks just like Jeb Bush is talking; 12th largest economy on planet; no Democrat won state office since Ann Richards defeated in 1992; they say they love Ted Cruz. I think Ted Cruz is creepy but I can’t place why. Something is wrong with him and he is hiding something but i don’t know what. Says that on November 8th Trump will get phone call from Hillary when she concedes the race. That’s an interesting image to keep in mind. Texas = 48 Trump
US Virgin Islands (9); 5 territories where Americans are denied rights; Alexander Hamilton’s home; emancipated slaves, no passport required to visit Caribbean St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Something else (St. Johns). Make America and Caribbean great again. 8 votes Trump and one could not make up mind.
Utah; has priorities straight, God and country; #1 state for job creation, most reliable Republican state; Trump will get highest percentage from Utah. Always Republican now and forever. 40 votes to Cruz. I hope one day we find out what Cruz’s secret is. His face shows he is hiding something. I do not know what it is and it puzzles me.
Vermont (16); home of Coolidge; nominated in Cleveland in 1924 with running mate from Ohio; don’t expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong; 13 votes for Trump
Virginia (49); they have a man with heavy Hindu accent; I can barely understand him. He calls the state Wah-geen-ee-a. If you can’t understand someone, maybe he’s not the right person to be speaking into microphone. No matter how much you want to seem supportive of diversity. Need someone who speaks clearly without heavy accent. 17 votes Trump.
Washington (44); these people are wearing Christmas trees on heads; state of volcanoes and wheat fields and christmas trees; home of Boening and 100th anniversary. Builders of jets. Named after first president. Proud to nominate Trump to be 45th president. 44 votes for Trump.
West Virginia; holds up coal miner’s hat; says Obama Regime has destroyed coal industry and taken jobs over last 7 years. Need Donald J. Trump. Son of coal miners. Let’s get ready to rumble. First state in the US to recognize Melania Trump as the next First Lady of the United States. Looks better in a dress than Bill Clinton. Home of some golfer. Other guy who played football. Mountaineers. Walk proud. State to put 34 delegates behind Trump. Clean slate. Let’s go get him.
Wisconsin; recognizes Preibus and Ryan. Scott Walker, America’s Governor. Scott Walker is really handsome too. Home of Republican Party, Harley Davidson, Packers. Did you know that Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is gay? A good way to figure out who is secretly gay is to look at who has been dating Taylor Swift. She is professional beard. Not sure why straight people never can figure this out and not sure why she does this, but she does.
Wyoming; home of mountains and coal and energy titan. Super red state. All kinds of Republican stuff. State’s rights. Religious liberty. Supports law enforcement. Want to defeat Hillary Clinton. Gives Trump 3 votes.
Michigan (remember they passed); I think this woman talking is a Romney or something. Her name is Romney-Something. Home of Gordy Howe. Motown. Cast 51 votes to Trump. I think they passed before so that New York could have the numbers to put Trump over the top.
Pennsylvania (71); will deliver deciding 20 electoral votes. 70 votes to Trump. TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP! TRUMP!
Geesh. This went on for two hours! It was fun, but which more people wore silly hats to represent states and costumes and things. Or had the Miss Ohio or Miss Alabama or Miss Whatever be the person dressed in state costume to give speech instead of random people.
15. Paul Ryan is shushing people like they are small children. I don’t like that. It’s creepy. He’s a grown man. They are all adults. No need to speak to them like they are children. Paul Ryan always has a weird look on his face, like he’s just had sex somewhere. I think people are booing him. They are shouting about something. Other people are shouting USA USA USA. Lots of Make America Great Again signs. Ryan asks if anyone wants to change their votes. They are turning on Connecticut’s microphone. Wait, Alaska. The Alaskans are mad that they do not get to cast their votes for other people. They don’t want all votes to go to Trump. Alaska wants to poll its delegation. Convention staff will supervise poll. Paul Ryan sure is handsome. He is an awful person and bad Speaker. But damn is he handsome. I want him to lose his seat, but know we will never have a Speaker this handsome again. This is why gay guys should never do the hiring. We hire male strippers for things…or people like Paul Ryan who are handsome but then sellout. While this kerfuffle continues, Earth Wind and Fire music starts playing so white people can dance badly some more to old music.
16. This delay is going on for a while. They are playing a song called Shake Your Booty at the Disco. Most people alive right now have no idea what a disco was. 705pm. Paul Ryan does the SHUSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH little children thing again. Then Reince Preibus comes out to talk about Da Rules. He’s wearing a green tie and sweating like Rodney Dangerfield. He is trying to explain rules. He is trying to explain to Alaska that when the other candidates dropped out then their votes went to Trump under Alaska rules. Alaska starts shouting. Paul Ryan talks to them like a stern father and they are his bad children. They hate it.
17. 1,725 votes to Trump. 475 to Cruz. 120 to Kasich. 114 to Little Marco Rubio. 7 Carson. 3 Bush. 2 Paul. Speaker Ryan calls him “Donald Gay Trump” I think on purpose. He then bangs gavel and declares Trump the nominee. Everyone cheers and shouts USA USA USA and TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP. 710pm CST it is totally official now. Trump is the nominee.
18. The YouTube feed from GOP cut off. So back to CSPAN feed.
19. Mitch McConnel speaking now. Talking about Vice President nomination. Then some guy from Indiana comes out and talks about Pence. He looks like either Walter Mondale or the manager of a Greek diner, I can’t tell. He says he is Mike Pence’s best friend. He nominates Pence for VP. Mitch McConnell looks like a Macy’s Parade balloon of Richie Rich’s father from the cartoons. I came around to Pence really quickly. I still wish someone fun had been named VP, someone awesome like Allen West. But it is what it is. This means that Hillary has no pressure to pick someone cool and will probably either pick a boring person or that lizard creature Julian Castro.
20. CSPAN’s feed got really slow and froze, but YouTube is back up now. So switched back. It’s still great I can do all this without a tee tee though.
21. 719pm. Band is playing Oh Domino. Which is a nice plug for a great book I love and am telling everyone about. DOMINO by Kia Heavey. It’s like Animal Farm. About how the West is being colonized by Third World and suicidal altruists in the elite are letting it happen. Story told from point of view of a cat trying to stop his world from being destroyed by colonizing rats. You should check it out!
22. Speaker Paul Ryan back again. 722pm CST formally declares Trump/Pence the Republican ticket for 2016. Then he walks away abruptly.
23. Someone from Vermont speaking. He says he is Catholic and pro-life. He’s wearing a tie with big white clouds on a red field that makes him look like a clown, which was an interesting choice for the one time in life he will be on national television before millions. He offers up a prayer.
24. A woman who looks like Markie Post from Night Court is speaking. She’s saying we need to win the election. Well, thank goodness she did this. No one knew we had to win the election before she came to speak. Calls her Crooked Hillary, says all she does all day is lie. Says Hillary just wants people to vote for her to make history. Plays the gender card. Goes after her for paying women less than men. Says Hillary lied to military families. Took money from foreign countries that enslave women and treat as second class citizens. Support killing the unborn. Viciously attacked character of women who were abused by Bill Clinton. The auditorium erupts at that. Wants woman president one day. But says NOT THAT WOMAN, not today not now not ever. America deserves president they can trust. Worthy of being commander in chief, does not lie directly to the American people. Donald J. Trump will be better than Hillary could ever be. Join together as citizen activists. Stand together as daughters and sons of liberty and fight the oppressive government. God Bless everyone. God Bless America.
25. Dana White, president of Ultimate Fighting. Cute cute cute cute cute. Thank you whoever put this man on camera. Says Trump stood by him, encouraged him, helped him grow his business when no one else believed in him or his business. Trump will encourage businesses to succeed. He is a hard worker. He will work with people. He will put in time to get things done. Loyal and supportive friend. If he needed Donald, he would be there for him. Can tell a person’s true character when they are happy for someone else’s success. Needs someone who believes in country and will fight for country and be proud of our country. This guy is great speaker. Has been in fight business. Trump is a fighter. Will fight for this country.
26. Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson at 734pm CST. He says he knows from personal experience what Hillary Clinton is like. He has been in office under 6 presidents. Strength, boldness, and new energy do not describe Hillary. She always wanted more government and her dreams have only gotten bigger. She wants more of same. Failed leadership. Failed top down approach to healthcare. Same nanny state regulations to strangle America. If you liked the last 8 years then Hillary will give you double for the trouble. In Arkansas, creating jobs, lowest unemployment in state history. This is my boyfriend Justin’s home state, Arkansas. Hutchinson says experience matters. Judgment matters more. Hillary poor decisions produced bad results. Just think about it. Hillary radical attempts at reform of nation’s healthcare would have been more destructive than Obamacare. Bad judgment in Benghazi. Clinton Foundation weirdness. Commander in Chief needs to be someone who people trust, not extremely careless in handling classified material. Hillary presidency will be dangerous. Trump presidency will be about the art of the possible. Trump/Pence are right leaders.
27. Attorney General of Arkansas now. Leslie Rutledge. Says sometimes Hillary talks with New York accent, sometime with a southern accent. But Arkansas knows who she is. Rutledge is first female AG of Arkansas. Same office Bill Clinton held when they launched their careers of corruption. Hillary says she was poor leaving White House. Says she is still poor in decision making. Says laws do not apply to her. This is a great speaker. She really hits hard. Why did Hillary take speaking fees from overseas. Hillary would lie even if the truth would serve her better. She just likes to pathologically lie. Rutledge broke the glass ceiling in Arkansas. Don’t need Hillary to do it now. Women care about jobs, economy, national security. This election will shape SCOTUS for generations. Do you want Antonin Scalia to be replaced by Leftist? Trump will support rule of law and rein in federal bureaucrats. Frankly, Hillary needs to go to her own house and not the White House. She can take Ruth Bader Ginsburg with her. It’s time to update your resumes. Trump growing jobs and America will be closed to overregulation and open for business. This woman was GREAT. Felt like future president herself.
28. Former US Attorney General Michael Mukasey. Talks about Hillary mistreating secrets. This is a case against her presidency. She sent and received secret information on a private email system in stead of government system. Without authorization. Then she lied about it. She said that she was told to take batteries out of phones and leave things on the plane when she went to foreign countries, but she didn’t listen or care. She wrote about these things in her book. Chose to use private email overseas in hostile countries with hacking capability. FBI could not figure out if it had been hacked but thinks likely. People she communicated with were hacked. She lied about Benghazi too then said what difference does it make? Makes a big difference. US is only country founded on the law. The Constitution. Hillary Clinton is running for presidency defined by Constitution. Most important power of president is Commander in Chief. Requires president to ensure laws faithfully executed. President must swear to oath to faithfully execute office and preserve, protect, defend Constitution. Hillary took similar oath. But she ignored it. She is asking people to make her first president in history to take Constitutional oath after having been proven to already have violated it. The message to her should be loud and clear and short: NO WAY, HILLARY, NO WAY ON EARTH.
29. Businessman Andy Wist from New York. Grew up in Brooklyn. 140 employees. Too many people out of work now. Things are a mess. Who is going to fix it? Hillary? After 30 years her only accomplishment is beating the rap every time she breaks the law. Trump is builder. he is leader. He will make America work again. I am not a big important person. I am just a regular guy. This November we get to decide what world we leave behind. I want our children and grandchildren to be able to live American dream. Only way we keep it alive is by electing Donald Trump president. He was a very interesting guy.
30. Ron Johnson from Wisconsin next. What different at this point does it make? Ron Johnson is the guy who asked her the question of why she did not call the survivors? Instead she lied to the American people. Lied to family members of those killed in Benghazi. Looked them in the eyes and lied. She continues lying now. If we can’t trust her to tell the truth, how can we trust her to lead America? Let me tell you what difference it makes. We need peace through strength, not withdrawal. He lists all the recent Islamic terror attacks around the world. Islam’s slaughter and brutalizing of innocent victims. When will America actually confront Islam? We won’t if Democrats win in November. Running against Russ Feingold. Only Senator to vote against giving law enforcement equipment. Feingold wants a fourth term. Too dangerous to elect either of them. America needs strong leadership to jump start economy. Strengthen economy. Secure borders. Must defeat Islam. Destroy Muslim terrorists wherever they hide. Should not have to live in fear. This is fight for freedom. This is not someone else’s fight. It is fight we absolutely must win. Trump/Pence must be America’s top priorities. Will be strong leaders. Will achieve goal to unite us all. Safe, prosperous, secure America. Must unify. Work tirelessly. Together save great nation.
31. Chris Cox from NRA now. Talking about freedom to protect your life. Our government has failed to keep us safe. Second Amendment is about protecting your family. Mother at home with baby, violent predator kicks door in. What will the mother do? Police take average of 11 minutes. Should she be able to defend herself in her own home or should she be murdered? That question is on the ballot in November. Here’s why. SCOTUS ruled 8 years ago we have right to defend ourselves. Second Amendment survived by just 1 vote. Hillary Clinton wants to take away the Second Amendment. She wants to take away your right to protect yourself in your own home Hillary Clinton SCOTUS means your right to own a firearm is gone. This election is about next 40 years. Voting for Hillary or not voting is not an option. For rest of her life Hillary Clinton will never have to think of 911. She has Secret Service with guns to protect her everywhere even in the bathroom. It’s easy for her to dismiss a right that she will never have to use. Choice to own a firearm is ours to make. Should not be one set of rules for the Clintons and another set for us. Here is Hillary’s problem: American women are fastest group of gun owners. Millions thinking of getting guns. Donald Trump wants women to have choice to own gun.
32. Pro-Golfer Natalie Golbis. Admires Donald Trump. He encouraged her to think of herself as a fearless business person. Trump keeps encouraging her to lean into challenges. Keep fighting. Be fearless. Desperately need someone to clean up the mess of last 8 years. History of fearlessness and challenging the status quo. Donald Trump will bring that to America.
33. 805pm CST, Trump addresses crowd from view screen. Largest vote total in history of Republican Party. We will win the state of Ohio. We will win the presidency. Bring back jobs. Rebuild depleted military. Strong borders. Defeat Islam. Restore law and order. We will do so many other things. He will tell us about it on Thursday. Make America great again. We will win in November.
34. Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader, appears. Says he’s been around the Clintons more than anyone. Says Clintons tried to defeat him and now he is here to do the same thing to them. Can distinguish between people who want to serve others and those who lie. Hillary will say and do anything to be president. Cannot allow it. Tired of hearing about bounty of government. Tired of struggling financially. Middle class shrink. People complain that no one looking out for them. Obama was at least honest about moving America to far Left. Hillary just lies and lies. She tells the truth about nothing. She even lied about why she was named Hillary. He then goes through a bunch of her lies. She was against things and then she is for them…not since Baghdad Bob has there been a public figure with such a tortured relationship to the truth. If Hillary is president, there will be so many scandals. Scandal follows Clintons like flies. Obama vetoed Obamacare repeal, vetoed Keystone, vetoed defunding Planned Parenthood. Trump will fill Scalia’s seat next year. Senate Republicans will be able to end Common Core and do other great things with a Donald Trump presidency. Hillary will double down on the terrible things that Obama loves to do. Example, Zika virus is spreading. Democrats are blocking efforts to eradicate it. They block efforts to help troops. Why vote for Democrats? Need people who cherish Constitution on the SCOTUS. Keep the Senate and House. Elect people who believe that America is exceptional. God bless America.
35. Dan Sullivan of Alaska and some other freshman Senators. He is really high energy and kind of cute. He is talking about 2014 election. Remember that the Media said that Democrats would take back the Senate in 2014. Look how that didn’t happen. They said that Democrats would win big in 2010 too and that did not happen. The Media just lies and hopes no one remembers because 2 years was so long ago and people have such short attention spans.
36. Paul Ryan is back again. It feels like a bad case of recurring gingivitis. He keeps coming back. Keeps shushing people. He never seems sincere when he speaks. He thanks Cleveland for hosting but he seems so fake, no emotion. Just nodding his head. He is SO BAD at reading the teleprompter. He thinks he can tell jokes. He can’t. He is not funny. I am angry now at how he and Romney just gave up and let Obama win at the end. He is so slimy. He says arguments are signs of life. He said this was year of surprises, but look what Democrats did and picked Hillary. People want change and clean break but the establishment put up Hillary. No one is excited by that. Country wanting change feels like we were cleared for takeoff but then sent back to the gate. I hate that he calls them “Democratic Party”; he should call them Democrat Party. They are Democrats. Don’t call them Democratic. American needs to move on from both Obama and the Clintons. He’s so stupid. He uses word progressive too. Why do that? Why use the words they like? Say LEFTIST. They hate that. There is a reason that people in our country are disappointed and restless. Opportunity is slipping away. He’s such a dummy. He says “liberal” too! Democrats LOVE being called that. They are LEFTISTS. But Ryan refuses to say that. This is such proof that this idiot doesn’t get it. He’s too establishment. Words matter. Don’t use the words your opponent wants you to use. Don’t use words that help your opponent. What an idiot Paul Ryan is. This is an awful speech from the Face of the Establishment. He needs to lose his Congressional seat. He needs to be removed as Speaker. I don’t care how cute he is. He does get it right that Democrats just want to divide and hyphenate people. That’s what they do. We need to stop falling into trap of dividing ourselves along all kinds of identity lines.
37. Kevin McCarthy, House Majority Leader. From California. Not sure why he needed to come speak. He’s just repeating things other people said. Would have rather heard from another regular person with an interesting life story. Too many government people speaking tonight and just repeating things. Having people with gray hair come out and just shout and repeat things is not compelling. Time for break to make a snack while this guy yammers on. People bored with him and getting up and wandering around now.
38. Chris Christie is next. People shouting LOCK HER UP LOCK HER UP LOCK HER UP. Christie says he is going to present facts to people as prosecutor. Says Hillary infected world with her bad judgment. Gets audience to shout GUILTY! after asking if Hillary ruined Libya and caused problems everywhere. He goes through all kinds of things and has the crowd shout GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! Growing up Catholic, I was an altar boy. During Lent we had this thing called Stations of the Cross, where it was a mass where they would go through each of the steps on the way to Jesus being crucified. And the old ladies would all read together in unison from these little books, and would shout CRUCIFY HIM! in parts that called for it. The priest would talk. People would shout CRUCIFY! him. It would be dark out because it was night in March or April. It was creepy. This is all just like that. GUILTY! GUILTY! CRUCIFY HER! LOCK HER UP! GUILTY! I kind of love this. I hope he does this all over on the campaign trail. People love shouting these things. Chris Christie as AG would be world’s greatest reality show: GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY? He’s like Richard Dawson in movie Running Man. And crowd shouts GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY!
39. Tiffany Trump speaks next. Tiffany is charming and elegant. Says she is nervous speaking in front of 10 million people. She seems like a very sweet and nice person. She loves her dad. Wants to talk about his defining qualities. Whatever he does, he gives his all. Desire for excellence. She just graduated from college but is so poised. Very impressive speaker.
40. Person who works at Trump winery speaks next. Says Trump is man of vision, not wide-eyed dreamer. Makes things better for people and communities. Trump winery and hotel, she manages it. He went to work building it, replanting, making it world class destination and largest vineyard in Virginia. Another nice testimonial about him being a business man with smart decisions but also great person to work for who demands and encourages excellence.
41. Donald Trump Jr. is next. He sure is suntanned! He reminds me of the guys who are day traders or dairy futures traders or whatever down in the Loop. I never like these guys. I never can relate to them. They are like an alien species to me. But Donald Jr. seems like a good guy because I think his father would have never allowed him to grow up to be a jerk. Trump changed skyline of New York. He changed skyline of Chicago too. Impossible is just his starting point. It’s funny but Donald Jr does a lot of the same hand gestures as his father does. Can you even imagine your father being nominated to be president. What a weird feeling that would be. Talking about what it was like being Donald Trump’s son. Trump hung out with regular people. Listened to their opinions. Promoted people based on street smarts and character. People started out as blue collar and he pushed them to succeed. He sees potential that they don’t even see in themselves. People who other executives overlook because they do not have fancy names on resumes from Ivy League. He likes people who have doctorates in common sense. Had his kids learn how to drive trucks and work chainsaws. Wanted his kids to learn dignity of hard work from young age. Whoever you are, wherever you are from, you can prosper together. Our immigration system is messed up. Rewards law breaking. Hurts people following the rules. Needs to stop. All Americans deserve opportunities. Talking about how government has gotten in the way of small businesses. Government tipped scales towards big business with Dodd-Frank. Only big guys can afford to hire lawyers to comply with all the regulations. Donald Jr. is a really great speaker. All the Trump kids are great speakers. You can’t have kids turn out this well without having a really great dad shepherding it. Takes great parents to have kids this great. Trump speaks his mind. He is honest. He says what needs to be said and not just what you want to hear. Will unleash greatness. Make America great again, greater than ever before. It was a fantastic speech.
42. Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia Senator. First woman ever elected to Senate from West Virginia. Says her state is just one big small town. West Virginia ravaged by flooding that claimed lives. Inspired by people who served others despite losing everything. So proud of her state. West Virginians work hard every day. They expect government to do same. Improve economy. Fight for jobs. Obama has put Leftist priorities over livelihoods of West Virginia. Hurt the coal miners. Destroyed communities. Have ripped through heartland. Created pessimism and disgust. Obama administration kicked everyone to curb. Lost trust in government. 2008, Obama said that he would bankrupt coal mines/plants. His actions match words. When you bankrupt a coal company, you deprive communities of livelihood. Obama cost 60,000 coal workers their jobs since 2011. Hillary wants to do more! Says she will put coal miners and coal companies out of business. Put thousands out of work. Wants to devastate coal country. Has anti-coal agenda. This Senator is a really great speaker. She was excellent choice. Tonight not really any bad speakers besides Kevin McCarthy. Lt. Gen Flynn was worst of convention though. That was so bad. Contrasting Hillary’s wealth and privilege with coal miner lives. Extreme carelessness with secrets. Avoids all consequences. She is above the law. She profits from closed door speeches. FBI abandons all credibility to let her off hook. She acts like royalty. Hillary fails to recognize that her policies affect real people. Reminds people of the 2008 Hope and Change styrofoam pillars speech Obama made in Denver. Lower the oceans. Use the EPA as a weapon to harm economy. She says that Obama Regime’s burdensome regulations cost every household $15,000+. This election is important for financial survival. Democrats nominating someone that people distrust. She’s earned this reputation through scandal and mistrust. FBI Director Comey called her negligent and questioned her judgment and that she misled the American people. She squandered trust and discredited the FBI. American people show that they distrust her. She can’t be trusted. She lies all the times. She plays by no rules. She acts like royal. We need trust. No one is above the law. No one who lost the public’s trust should ever serve as president. Hillary will just double down on policies that hurt Americans. WOW…Senator Capito was phenomenal speaker.
43. Dr. Ben Carson. I love Dr. Carson. So great to see him. Says he hates political correctness. It’s what the Left uses to get people to shut up so that they can’t be challenged. Time to stand up and shout out, not shut up. Need to use our power of reasoning. Look at history and character. He talks about Saul Alinsky. Says that Alinsky inspired by Lucifer. The Left wants to kill and destroy God and bring Lucifer to earth. He’s right. This is all about We the People. Jefferson said we would reach this point and the government would grow and try to rule us. Before we turn into something else, we the people would recognize what was happening and we would rise up. Now is the time to take America back! That was a really great speech by Dr. Carson. He will make a great Surgeon General. The book that Megan Fox and I wrote has a LOT in it about Saul Alinsky.
44. Kimberlin Brown, actress. She’s a former soap actress and now a business person and designs things. Says it is offensive when Media targets women as single issue voters. Women can’t be reduced to just one issue. Must secure future for families. California businesswomen for Trump. Women in all fields and professions and ethnicities. Women for Trump. Unreasonable regulations that tie everyone up with red tape. This is destroying business. Destroying farms. She is a really great speaker too. Very smart choice. Talking about how her employees suffer under Obamacare. Young employees angry about Obamacare. Wake up call to them. All voting Trump this year. 1/3 small business owners are women. Talks about productions moving out of country due to regulations and taxes. Production shut down. Big stars not affected but all the little guys were. Plight of men and women who lost livelihoods. She is avocado grower that sees bad trade deals flood markets, destroy businesses. People forced to cut down groves because of bad trade policies. There will be a time soon for a woman president, but it should not be Hillary Clinton. This is a woman who did not have the chance to stand up for women, she attacked women, she enabled Bill Clinton’s victimization, she knows some of Bill’s victims. Her comments are comments of convenience only. If we are to prosper as a nation, need leader who will shake things up. President who will bring common sense regulations and eliminated unnecessary ones. Fix tax system. Need someone who needs to build things and create jobs. Who knows how to negotiate. Tackle problems head on. Need TRUE PROGRESS. The Left has attacked her nonstop since it was announced she was the speaker. Left wants to silence those they disagree with. WOW! She was such a great and powerful speaker. Great way to end the convention for the night.
— That is a wrap until 730pm tomorrow, 7/20/16 —
What are your thoughts?
If you enjoyed this live recap of the live stream, let me know if you’d like to see more the remaining days and if you’d like me to sit through the Democrats’ convention too. If you’d like to read it, I don’t mind doing it if there is interest.
Some thoughts on today’s headlines:
1. Melania Trump’s Rick Roll last night feels like something ingeniously setup to force the Left to talk about Melania today…and encourage people who didn’t watch the convention last night to watch her wonderful speech. It seems odd to me that seconds after she finished speaking that the Left was already accusing her of “plagiarism.” That would be like you shouting “plagiarist!” at the person at the next breakfast booth if he or she ordered the same pancakes as you did, with bacon on the side the way you like yours too. The truth is that political wives have only so many things they say in speeches like these, where they talk about why they want people to vote for their husbands. These speeches are usually very well-received in the moment that America often hears the spouse speak for the first time ever, but are then largely forgotten as other events during a convention unfold. There was little chance that the Media as an entity would give Melania Trump much attention because of the simple fact that showcasing a beautiful immigrant who assimilated and learned English and followed the rules in America is not conducive to the Left’s current agenda (especially since that beautiful and appealing immigrant is the wife of Donald Trump). Clearly Melania didn’t write her speech. Few people in public life write their own remarks or tweak them…or even see them before they go up onto a teleprompter. As a model, Melania’s life experience has been to follow her script when in front of cameras and she does it very well. Speech writing is tough because memorable phrases tend to gel and stick in memory and emerge when someone is writing on the same topic that has been written about many times before. It’s suspicious that Democrats ran Melania Trump’s remarks through what appears to be an academic “TurnItIn” style text-checker (for those who have been out of school a long time, TurnItIn is one of several websites that universities use that forces students to submit papers to be scanned and rated for uncited sources). Then they jumped excitedly onto what they deemed a “scandal.” I just wonder if that wasn’t planned from the beginning and it was all just a trap for the Left. Someone as media savvy as Trump has to know that the Left is always looking for something to use as a weapon. Was this all a way to guarantee that the Media would want to talk about nothing else but Melania Trump all day today and directly compare her to the current First Lady? That’s a comparison that is not flattering to Michelle Obama or Democrats. If given the choice between Melania or Michelle, who would want Michelle to be First Lady? When given a choice between Melania and Bill as First Spouse, who would choose Bill? The Left also instantly started making fun of Melania’s accent, which is dangerous ground for them because she’s an immigrant who actually followed the rules and assimilated and joined the American Melting Pot. I’d love to see the Trump campaign have Melania talk about the Melting Pot and how we need to get back to that. The Salad Bowl or Tee-Vee Dinner models (where immigrants never assimilate and instead form little colonies within our country that exist as parallel societies) has led to destruction of national identity. Melting Pot success stories need to be played up through November and the Salad Bowl/Tee-Vee Dinner thinking has to come to an end along with the rest of political correctness.
2. I greatly enjoyed the speakers at the Convention last night and plan on watching this evening as well. The CSPAN live feed proved to be the most reliable. The GOP’s official stream on YouTube cut out during Jeff Sessions’ speech, so I had to switch over to CSPAN. I’m just going to use CSPAN this evening. Breitbart.com has great convention coverage during the day if you want to listen to talking heads that are actually decent to listen to. CSPAN is really great because it has no commentary, only the live stream playing.
3. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around a lot of what I see on conservative sites these days. There are a lot of people who seem like they want Hillary Clinton to win the election. I don’t get that at all. This election is fascinating to me because it is the first time that Republicans have run someone who speaks the truth, is blunt, and is not politically correct. I have long believed that this is what Americans are hungry for and that people are sick to death of the establishment and political correctness. They are sick and tired of politicians like John McCain and Mitt Romney who were so meek and mild and milquetoast…and oh so politically correct. Americans are a people with a cowboy, Wild West, pioneer, speak truth to power culture. We are not a people who respond well to sniveling elites and aristocrats. For some reason, Republicans came to believe that they have to behave in a meek and mild and step-on-no-toes way…but voters clearly reject that. Ronald Reagan sure as hell never was like that…but come to think of it George H.W. Bush started all this with his “compassionate conservatism.” 2016 is really the end of Bushism and the Cocktail Party consultant class that engendered. Americans want a kickass country. We want to stand up to Islam and not be afraid to call out our enemies and take the fight to them. Americans do not want mousiness and dithering and meekness. I think the people who are so anti-Trump are people who like the Cocktail Party the way that it is, either because they benefit from it or they always dreamed of being invited to join it themselves. For those of us who either never wanted to be in the Cocktail Party ranks or were people who would never receive such invitations, the end of the Bush-ist Cocktail Party is a happy day. For me, it’s equally thrilling seeing this unfold in my hometown. If you believe that people who should have voted against Obama in 2008 and 2012 stayed home because they just couldn’t go along with supporting the Cocktail Party Elite, then you should see that Trump is the farthest thing possible from that Establishment. Now is people’s chance to cause the entire establishment (on both sides) to collapse. What comes next will be light years better than what we’ve had in the extend Bush Era of Cocktail Partying. Trump will win votes from people who never dreamed of being Republican because Trump doesn’t feel like a stereotypical Republican the way that Romney, McCain, and Dole were. The Media created a new world where the President was the nation’s top celebrity and set the stage for the pendulum to swing towards Trump. This really is his year and all momentum is with him. Not sure why anyone who doesn’t want Hillary in the White House would try to stop that.
What else is on your minds today?
Read the rest of this entry »
Some thoughts on the RNC Prime Time speakers on 7/18/16 (read the daytime recap here)
1. GLOVES are off. Mother of Benghazi victim Sean Smith directly blames Hillary Clinton for death of her son. Says that Hillary lied to her face. Mrs. Smith has repeatedly asked Hillary to explain why her son died and she has refused to explain. Says Trump is blunt, direct, and strong. Trump will not hesitate to kill terrorists who threaten American lives. Says that Hillary is a liar who belongs in prison wearing stripes, not the Oval Office.
2. Authors of the book 13 Hours followed Mrs. Smith. This book was made into the movie 13 Hours that came out last year. It is an excellent movie. I highly recommend you see it. I have not read the book yet but ordered it tonight. It is by Mitchell Zuckoff and Security Annex Team. They spoke very candidly about what Benghazi was like. It’s similar to what was in the movie. CSPAN will have all these speeches up later and the RNC live stream gets archived I believe, so you can watch all these.
3. One thing that I hope Donald Trump hits Hillary on is why on earth the State Department sent an openly gay man — Chris Stevens — to be ambassador to a Muslim country. That was an invitation for trouble. Sending an openly gay man to a Muslim country full of bigoted homophobic medieval monsters when the Obama Regime clearly had a plan to destabilize Libya, topple Kadaffi, and set the stage for the Islamic colonization of Europe was madness. Stevens was the wrong person to send to a Muslim country…let alone a Muslim country where the Regime decided it would be fun to create a staging ground for Islam’s invasion of Europe, which followed quickly in recent years. Obama wanted to destroy the West from within. He harmed the US as much as possible and set the stage for the eradication of Europe by Muslim immigration jihad. Hillary allowed all of this to happen, but she is personally most responsible for signing off on a gay ambassador to a Muslim country. Which is stupidity incarnate.
4. I really wish we could have heard more from Sean Smith’s mom. To me, that was more powerful and impactful. I would like to hear more from ALL FAMILY MEMBERS who feel they were lied to by Hillary and the State Department over Benghazi. I also would like to hear from someone who could explain why Mitt Romney did not go after Obama over Benghazi in the second and third presidential debates in 2012. Why did Romney deliberately stay clear of it? What was the strategy behind that?
5. I missed some of the early speakers, like Rick Perry. I will eventually watch them when this live stream gets archived and I can watch it from the beginning. Here’s some of who spoke before I started watching tonight:
6. Here’s the next batch:
7. Then the final batch:
8. Family of slain border control agents are speaking. Democrats do not want the borders secure. Democrats want the Third World to colonize the United States because: (1) Those are Democrat voters who are ignorant and uneducated and illiterate, (2) Spanish-speakers are easy to control because they do not assimilate and Democrats can keep them in little colonies and control them, (3) Third Worlders are not used to our culture or system of government and instead like having bigger federal government. Just like Democrats like.
9. Antonio Sabato JR. is speaking about being an immigrant who followed the rules, learned the language, and assimilated. This is why he is speaking. He is an immigrant. He followed the rules. Why shouldn’t Mexicans follow the rules? Antonio Sabato Jr. was a big deal in the 1990s. He was a big time model and was in the Janet Jackson video for “Love Will Never Do Without You.” My first-ever boyfriend had posters of Antonio up on his walls when we were in college.
10. Family of man killed by a Mexican colonist here illegally spoke next. We need a law where people can sue Mexico when Mexican colonists kill someone. Mexico should have to pay $50 million to each person this happens to. Why the hell have we allowed Mexico to become a colonial superpower that dictates to the US and dumps all of its unwanted criminals here. This woman speaking is right: Hillary wants the colonization to continue. For it to stop, you need Donald Trump.
11. People really need to start using the word COLONISTS. Stop calling these people immigrants. Stop calling them refugees or migrants. They are COLONISTS. An immigrant follows the rules and assimilates into the melting pot. A COLONIST comes here, demands things, refuses to learn English, breaks all of our laws, spits on our sovereignty, and expects our culture and society to change to accommodate them. That’s colonization. It needs to stop.
12. Another family member of a person killed by a Mexican colonist speaks. The government goes out of its way to let the colonists go free. They come here, break our laws, kill Americans, and Democrats let them run free. We need to stop pandering to Spanish-speakers. We need to stand up to them. We need to stop the colonization of our country by the Third World. We need to make Mexico pay for what it has already done to America. Mexico needs to financially rectify the damage its colonization has done.
13. USA! USA! USA! USA!
14. 811pm CST – Jazz Shaw’s dad speaking. Considers Trump his friend. Son killed by Mexican colonist. Father saw hole in son’s head. Mexican colonist killed him. Jazz’s mom was overseas in military. Once word got out that Mexican colonist killed son, all the politicians disappeared. Did not want to criticize a Mexican colonist. The Mexican killed Jazz because he was black. Coroner said that the Mexican colonist shot Jazz with cruelty. Mexican was known to target blacks. Hillary is Obama’s third term. Trump called Jazz’s dad on phone to see how he was doing. Only Trump will stand up to Mexico and end the colonization. BUILD THE WALL!
15. Rep. McCall from Texas. Born and raised in Dallas. Speaks about police officers murdered by Black Lives Murders domestic terrorist group. Haven’t we had enough open borders, amnesty, and colonization? Why can’t America be a secure, sovereign nation? Whey are we being colonized by the Third World? Democrats lead from behind. They lead us into danger. They paved the way for ISIS to take over and for Islam to conquer Europe. Democrats want all this chaos.
16. Hillary is really getting hammered for the lie about the YouTube video. Boy do they all look stupid for that. Islam is here in America because Democrats let Islam in. Muslims will keep killing and Hillary wants to bring in MORE Muslim colonists. End political correctness. Speak the truth. The enemy is Islam. And the enemy is here.
17. Are you safer than you were 4 years ago? Are you safer than you were 8 years ago?
18. Donald Trump will not apologize for American greatness. He will promote it. He will not bow to Islam. He will stand up to it. He will shake the ground that Muslims walk on and end terrorism. He will defeat Islam.
19. WWII Generation, Greatest Generation, defeated the Third Reich and Soviet Union. Our war is with Islam. We must defeat it and save Western Civilization. We must send clear message to Muslims: you may have fired the first shot, but America will fire the last and Islam will lose.
20. Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke speaks about Blue Lives Matter. He is an impressive speaker. Talking about the domestic terrorist war on cops right now…also about the defeat of the malicious prosecution of Marilyn Mosby against the Baltimore police officers. Mosby should be disbarred and then tarred and feathered. She is vile. Talks about importance of making America safe again. THIS GUY NEEDS TO BE A SENATOR OR GOVERNOR. He is a fantastic leader. Powerful. He needs to rise higher than just Sheriff. He needs to run the FBI or something.
21. Former Real World Boston and I think Miami stars Sean and Rachel Duffy. I had a crush on him years ago when the show was on. He still looks great. He was a lumberjack. Rachel’s family were immigrants. They followed the rules. They learned English. They assimilated. They did not break the rules and demand things. They joined the melting pot. MELTING POT. They are a gorgeous couple. They should be positioned for bigger things too in next few years. He would make a handsome lumberjack Senator. Why not run him against one of the lunatics from Wisconsin currently in office?
22. Darryl Glenn, Senate candidate for Colorado. Another really powerful speaker. I never heard of him before and I like him. He calls it the “Democrat Party” like everyone should do. He’s smart. And funny too. Very engaging. This is great…he calls out Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Says they do not speak for black America and they do not speak for him. Says that threat from Islam is real. Black men need to take care of families. Troops and cops need support. Says Hillary Clinton is unfit to be president. She loves pantsuits but she needs a bright orange jumpsuit. That line got big cheers. Darryl Glenn is a fabulous candidate. Really awesome guy. Kind of candidate you’d love to be friends with, love to listen to…hope he wins. Would be awesome in the Senate. He seems like a future president too.
23. Tom Cotton from Arkansas speaks next. He’s handsome too. So many hot guys at the Republican Convention in Cleveland. They should make a calendar.
24. Boy is Aaron Shock stupid. He’s stupid for a lot of reasons, but if he had come out of the closet years ago I don’t think that he would have been removed from Congress. He had been out and proud, he could be speaking tonight as a gay Republican. That’s what’s missing from this great lineup: a hot gay Republican office holder. They’re doing a good job showing a new and diverse GOP…but Aaron Shock could have been the face of gay Republicans. What an idiot closet case that clown turned out to be. He could have had it all.
25. Mother of fallen Navy SEAL is next. Mother of Aaron Vaughn. Boy she is a great speaker. Powerful. Confident. Calls for new leadership. Says we cannot allow enemies to define the world in which we live. US can defeat all adversaries. Must be unbound though. Can’t allow the military hands to be tied. Must go after Islam hard. Stop this madness. Men and women join military to fight, not to be sacrificed. Islam is hellbent to destroy us but we are unwilling to call Islam by name. TIME TO NAME THE ENEMY. THE ENEMY IS ISLAM.
26. Senator Jeff Sessions. Talks about Cocktail Party establishment, Media, and Big Corporations destroying middle class. Destroying the country. Economic disaster. We are on the wrong track and American people know it. Hillary and Obama are globalists and want to destroy America. Trade deficits kill jobs. They want to push Obamatrade to destroy US with Pacific trade imbalance. For 30 years the American people want end to lawlessness and to secure our borders. Third World colonists are taking American jobs. They come here, take our jobs, overstay visas, and the government does nothing. Obama and Hillary capitulate to the lawlessness and reward the criminal colonists. Why can’t they follow existing laws? NOTE: YouTube stream went down…switched to CSPAN. Immigration should be suspended until we get our arms around the problems. There are no jobs for all of these people. Stop flooding job market with so many Third Worlders. Need Trump to stop this madness. Donald Trump will get tough and bring change. He has strength and courage and the will to get this done. Donald Trump will kill Obamatrade, will stop the colonization of America, will BUILD THE WALL to stop Mexico’s colonial ambitions, will make America great again.
27. Rudy Giuliani is next. Says it is nice to have a New Yorker for once on the ticket. Talks about how to make America safe. Americans do not feel safe anymore. They fear for children and themselves. They fear for police officers who are being targeted by Black Lives Murder. Praying for police in Dallas and Baton Rouge and their families. Thank you to Cleveland Police Department for protecting the convention. What happened to melting pot? Where did it go? Why do we have hyphenated America? Need to get away from black america and white america and whatever america…get back to just AMERICA. NYC used to be hell. Giuliani says what he did for NYC, Donald Trump will do for America. Trump is a man with a big heart whom Giuliani says always stepped in when needed. Sick and tired of defamation of Donald Trump by the media and the Clintons. Sick and tired of it. This is a good man. Crowd goes wild. 5 major attacks by Islam in the last 7 months. Our enemy is Islam. We should not be afraid to define the enemy as Islam. People who yell Allah Akbar are terrorists. Ft. Hood. San Bernadino. Orlando. Nice. Paris. Boston. Obama calls this workplace violence. Muslims see us as weak and vulnerable. We must identify the enemy properly and find them, catch them, and defeat Islam. We must put Muslims on the defense. If they are at war against us, which they have declared, we must commit ourselves to unconditional victory against Islam. Lives lost to Islam all over the world and on US soil. What has Hillary done? ISIS says they are sending operatives amongst the Muslim colonists from Syria. And Hillary wants to just let these colonists in. It is stupidity. Trump will stop this. Trump will keep us safe!
28. Melania Trump is next! TRUMP APPEARS!!!!!! We are going to win. We are going to win so big.
First Slovenian First Lady. First supermodel First Lady. I love listening to her. She makes so much sense. She is so elegant. And she is an immigrant who understood she needed to assimilate and join melting pot, not live in parallel society. Fantastic speech. Talking about working hard, making something of self, fighting for things that matter. Personal testimonial about Donald Trump. Will never ever let you down. Will never give up. Family man. Simple goodness of heart that God gave to Donald Trump. He will use his gifts for purposes to help us all. The election will not even be close. SLAM! Would not be a Trump contest without excitement and drama. Wants to help children and women.
29. Lt.General Michael Flynn speaks next. Would he be Sec. of Defense? Says America will defend protect and take care of itself again. From this day forward we must stand tougher and stronger together. No more reckless rhetoric from an Obama clone like Hillary Clinton. Must draw from rich foundation for founding fathers’ fight for democracy. Must end days of political correctness and senseless hyperbole. This guy is not a great speaker. He would have made a lousy VP pick. He is not good with an audience. Falling flat. But he seems like he would be good leader of military. He’s just not a good politician. Good decision not to put him on the ticket. He can serve in another way. And he talked and talked and talked. People started walking out and leaving because he kind of rambled. He should have spoken for just a few minutes earlier in the night. Would have rather had Sheriff Clarke given his time. Bring Sean Smith’s mom back out. Would have loved to hear more from her too. She really went at Hillary hard. Flynn is not saying anything new or interesting. Would like to hear from Joni Ernst now. Though near the end of his remarks he did call on Hillary to leave the race and people started shouting lock her up, lock her up, lock her up. His speech felt like it went on for an hour though.
30. I’ve never heard Joni Ernst speak before, so this is fun. Talking about her military service. She seems like a very nice person. Very positive and optimistic. I really admire her service. She is amazing. Wants America to start leading again. Says our allies around the world want us to start leading. Where is America’s leadership? There is void in the world. Deficit that can’t be filled by others. Can’t have 4 more years of lack of leadership. Muslims keep working to destroy Israel. Threaten Europe and the United States with their colonization efforts. Hillary and Obama have allowed this. They have allowed Islam to strike blows against the West. It’s like Junior Varsity playing. Allowing Islam to spread rapidly. Islam is now present in all 50 US states. Terrorists are in all 50 states now. Hillary lied to American people. Military and veterans did not fail us. Obama Regime failed us. Hillary failed. Extremely careless. Incompetent. Tells lies. That is unthinkable to have as commander in chief. Must ensure that America is strong and stabilizing force. Keep safe at home and protect freedom abroad. Time to stand up and fight for the security of our children. Our grandchildren. And ourselves. With Hillary Clinton it is always about her. Should be about you, not her. People tired of politics as usual. Trump will work tirelessly to keep nation safe. Now is the time to make America safe again.
31. Jason Beardsley speaks next. Veterans group. Was elite fighter. Awesome speaker. Great energy. Must sustain nation when we feel in peril. Russia, China, and Islam are unparalleled threats. Stand on the shoulders of giants and legends who gave us American republic. Those who gave lives for cause of freedom around the world. Principles of liberty and justice for all. He makes a good point about what the Left always says, that since America made some mistakes in the past and was not always perfect that it must be destroyed now. The Left loves to do this. The crowd keeps shouting LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP over and over again. When Trump wins, Hillary Clinton is going to be in real trouble if Chris Christie is made Attorney General. I bet he will find some way to prosecute her. That little toad Comey will lose his job too hopefully. I really liked Beardsley. Great speaker.
32. Ryan Zinke from Montana. He is the first Navy SEAL elected to Congress. Part of SEAL Team Six. Says Obama and Hillary are responsible for leadership failures.
33. This was my favorite night of any political convention ever. It had excitement. It had a FANTASTIC appearance by Melania Trump. Her speech was FABULOUS. What a great kickoff. And Cleveland is doing an amazing job hosting it all.
And that’s a wrap! Convention is adjourned until 530pm tomorrow!
— More to follow tomorrow for DAY TWO –
A few years ago, I stopped watching tee-vee shows as they air (but clearly never stopped calling TV shows “tee-vee shows”). Instead, I wait until a whole season has concluded before watching. In some cases, I’ll actually wait years until a show has finished airing to watch the whole entire series at once. I enjoy watching two or three episodes at night before I go to sleep…and I don’t like waiting a week between episodes, especially with dramas. I much prefer the Netflix distribution model, where they make all episodes of a season available at once. I hope the networks go to something like that in the future. But, until then, I will keep coming late to the tee-vee party.
This week, Justin and I finished watching Quantico, which was a new show on ABC for the 2015-2016 season. I think it’s worth your valuable time and is a fun show to watch this summer. Justin doesn’t like anything (and missed his calling in life by being born too late to be Mikey from the old Life cereal commercials)…so when even he enjoys a show (despite himself) I know it is something I can safely recommend. Here’s some of what I like about Quantico.
1. Nobody famous is on it. Or, at least, nobody I recognize from anything (except Marcia Cross from Melrose Place/Desperate Housewives, who shows up at one point in a supporting role). Frankly, I don’t like watching famous people on the tee-vee because I have a hard time forgetting who they used to play on something else (or I associate idiotic things they’ve said in real life on the red carpet about politics with whatever character they are playing and I can’t enjoy the show as a result). It was really fun to watch a show with complete unknowns (to me at least). It really helped me like their characters.
2. There are some great twists. I enjoyed this show the way that I liked the first few seasons of 24 back in the day. Every episode had an interesting twist of some kind, with major twists — shocking twists — every few episodes. I thought the show was very brave and felt that every character was expendable and in danger. I can’t remember the last time I felt that way about anything, since the viewer usually assumes the big star will survive. But this show had no big star. I even felt the main character was always in danger (and maybe didn’t make it in the end).
3. I had to keep track in a notebook who the bad guys and suspects were. It’s not that the show was confusing (it’s not), but that it had such interesting twists and shifting allegiances that Justin and I made little Clue-style notepads to try to keep track of who the good guys were, who the bad guys were, who the real good guys were, and who the REALLY bad guys were. I had so much fun trying to figure out the mystery. I love that I was wrong in the end and didn’t peg (XXXXXX) as the mastermind and I never figured out (XXXXXXXXX)’s end game until I saw it all play out in the finale. That was so much fun. I remember being in grade school and reading Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians (back when it was still called Ten Little Indians) and being wowed by the ending. The same with her The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I like books and tee-vee shows that throw me off the trail. I never suspected the mastermind(s?) on Quantico and I never figured out their end game or motive until the end, but now I can look back and see all the clues I should have picked up on. It’s a really fun mystery/thriller of a show.
4. They did some interesting things with political correctness. It’s a network show, so the forced “diversity” was something of a turn-off for Justin. He really complains about that sort of thing being crammed down viewers’ throats. There are Muslim characters on Quantico that at times are very politically correct, where Justin would groan because the show was doing that “not all Muslims are bad” and “you are prejudiced if you don’t pretend that Islam is not an ideology of conquest!” — but at other times the show would very accurately depict Muslims putting the conquest ideology of the Koran and its intolerance of Western culture ahead of assimilating into American society. They very clearly showed Muslims insisting on being colonists in the West, not leaving behind the dysfunctional and medieval culture they left when they immigrated here, and pushing for special treatment because they are Muslim (instead of joining the melting pot and becoming Americans). There’s another show I like most of the time called Bones that Justin refuses to ever watch because every 5th or 6th episode they have a Muslim character (from Iran) on the show and the writers use that as a means of bashing political correctness and submission into the heads of viewers. I just skip the episodes that this character is in, which is easy because he is an intern on the show and only appears a few times a year. I really don’t need to hear the “Islam is a religion of peace” brainwashing propaganda from Bones, so I have an easy way to avoid that by skipping some episodes. Justin at first thought Quantico would be 22-episode of promoting Islam but even he admitted that the show was not aiming to proselytize or scold.
5. It felt like attending FBI training at Quantico. The show operates in an interesting flashback way: half of an episode is set during the characters’ training at Quantico and the other half is set in the “present” long after they have graduated and are out in the field handling a series of high-profile events. There are clues in the flashbacks to what is happening in the present. The mystery is rooted back to their time in training. I thought this was a very interesting narrative device. It was also fun because if a character died in the present, but you liked that person, you would still see her or him on the show in the flashbacks. The training exercises they did in the Quantico facility as they learned how to become agents were also interesting puzzles they had to solve. I actually enjoyed watching their training more than I did the episodes in the present where the mystery was unfolding.
I liked this show enough that I plan on re-watching it again in July, to see all the clues I missed and to analyze more of how the episodes were structured. It was all very clever. The best part was that I didn’t think I would like the show at all. I thought it would be nauseatingly PC and full of “America is bad! Islam is good!” propaganda but I didn’t feel that way at all after watching it. And even Justin liked it, and he doesn’t like much of anything on network tee-vee.
You can watch the whole first season on Amazon.com and ABC.com (or on Hulu, if you have a subscription).
[My hobby in recent years: nature photography around Chicagoland. Every day, I try to get away from computers and the news and politics and just enjoy God’s Creation wherever I can. I post my snaps to Facebook on Sassy Plants.]
1. I really found some of what’s in this article by Ed Morrissey at Hot Air to be fascinating, about the last 8 years of Democrats focusing on central-government dictates on the economy and how central planning never works…but the people who refuse to accept that always believe that it never worked before because THEY weren’t the ones in charge of it. The article also talks about the frightening hopelessness of people who have been out of work for years and have given up on finding work (or even having a future anymore). What’s not in the article, that I notice all the time on the faces of people I talk to or in glimpses of pained honesty when someone here or there feels comfortable revealing how bad things are for them financially, is that Americans are suffering silently like never before, at least not in my lifetime. Were things bad like this in the Great Depression? I think things are even worse now, because of all the pressure we have now…and all of the things we have that take money to keep going. Everyone has more bills now than they did in the 1930s. Plus there is the unspoken pressure of all the innovative ways that localities drive revenue. In Chicago, if you have a car then you must navigate a maze of traps worthy of the Riddler to ever park without a ticket…and the state is also in on the act, always pulling tricks that result in huge fines for whatever infraction they invented recently. The laws are changed frequently to trap people and bleed them dry. We’re clearly on an unsustainable, Cloward-Piven path. That’s the whole point of the big push to bring in as many third world colonists as possible. Democrats want to collapse the system, so they can rebuild the system the way they want, in the utopia they swear will result. We all know this is madness but these are people who cannot be told something won’t work because they are so certain they are right, so certain it will work THIS TIME because now THEY are the ones behind it. And of course they are geniuses (in their own minds) so with them at the wheel nothing will ever fail. That’s really what we are up against, people living in fantasyland who refuse to see the damage they do to the country. I actually think this might not even be coming from a place of evil as much as a place of vanity and hubris.
2. Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that he was not allowed to say he is voting for Donald Trump…even though he is someone who works for a Republican organization. This weird thing is happening where Republicans are being infected by the insanity of the Left, where anyone who disagrees with them on anything is blackballed and attacked and threatened with death, rape, murder, unemployment, etc. What’s doubly insane is that the primaries are over and Trump is the nominee…so why would Republicans organizations be on witch hunts for people who are going to vote for the Republican candidate? That didn’t even happen in 2008, in the very heated Obama-Hillary race. After Hillary conceded defeat, any Hillary supporters who said they would vote for Obama were not threatened. The opposite happened, where any Hillary holdouts who wouldn’t support Obama were targeted for everything vile the Left could aim at them…but since Obama was the nominee, Hillary people who went over to Obama and announced they were voting for him did not suffer any abuse. Supporters of Ted Cruz seem to be targeting people who intend to vote for the Republican nominee, however, and that needs to stop. Cruz lost the nomination, in large part because he was off-putting to a great number of people. I appreciate that some people are really into him (obsessively into him, it seems) but those people are the small (but vocal…and even menacing) minority. If your candidate loses a primary race, you are allowed to be upset about it…but you shouldn’t make threats against people who are voting for the nominee and blackball them. Our national politics is really out of joint if this Alinsky hatred is now spreading across the aisle. It used to just be people on the far-Left who behaved this way…then it became all Democrats doing this…and now Cruz Republicans are at it. I think what we are seeing is our politically-correct, special snowflake, perpetually-offended culture degenerating further. We are a nation coming apart at the seams because we keep being divided amongst so many demographic, racial, ethnic, sexual, credentialed, class, and other lines. People aren’t seeing themselves as Americans anymore, but part of separate warring tribes that are always at war with one another. This is how civilizations fall and worlds end. It’s not the barbarians at the gate (or the southern border), but the acrimony inside the nation amongst the manufactured and artificial tribes.
3. I also don’t understand how people don’t see that Trump will win in a landslide. What’s interesting about 2016 is that it’s going to finally be a test if Americans really are sick of the Establishment and political correctness and really want America to be proud of itself and not take garbage anymore. Why has America in recent years been colonized and bossed around by Mexico? Did people enjoy Obama spending the last 8 years bowing, apologizing, and kissing the feet of third world and Islamic countries around the world? Do people find any joy in the weird detour our culture has taken where free speech is silenced, humor and satire are practically outlawed, and mobs online form and destroy people’s lives because they don’t agree with their opinions? Provided that Trump keeps assuring Americans that he is going to put a stop to job losses and is going to get the government out of the way of businesses and job creation and is going to assert that America is sovereign and our borders must be acknowledged and protected, then he will win big.
The truth is that Hillary Clinton is not well-liked and has made very bad decisions in recent years that caused herself unforced errors. She made history by becoming the first female presidential candidate, but I don’t see how she wins the election. I know that James Carville claims that it’s all over and that Democrats will win every presidential election forever, but Carville lies as often and as much as Hillary does. Romney lost because, for some reason, scores of Republicans stayed home and refused to vote for him. McCain lost for the same reason (but also the fact that white people had a religious experience in getting to vote for a black man to prove they weren’t racist; the same thing happened again in 2012, but to a much lesser extent). No one feels any sort of religious experience voting for a woman, and more than half the women in the country hate Hillary for one reason or another. Nothing has changed since 2008 on that front. I think the only thing she could have done was to divorce Bill at some point between then and now. I don’t think anyone would have been mad at her for divorcing him and a lot of people who hated her for not divorcing him years ago would have been mollified. I can’t imagine what Democrats are going to do to game the election for her because so many 30-and-under Democrats I know hate Hillary and loved Bernie Sanders (because these people were all taught in public school that socialism is good and that we need to be more like Europe and America needs to stop existing and we should all be global citizens). There is no social stigma to people saying they are not going to vote for Hillary and are going to stay home, so screw her. There is no enthusiasm for her campaign and she has no message other than she wants to be the first female president. But people aren’t exactly clamoring for that.
Again, this makes Hillary Clinton one of the most tragic figures in all of American history. Over the years, she’s lied so much about so many different things that no one really knows what she would be like as president. I believe she would have basically been Jeb Bush in a pantsuit and that the Bushes and Clintons are pretty much the same thing at this point. But, I know people who think she would be a radical worse than Obama (though that never made any sense, because if that was true then why did so many Democrats go nuts over Bernie Sanders in 2016 if they wanted a radical and thought Hillary would be one?). It’s all such a tragedy for her, where at almost every junction she chose a wrong path that made it harder for her to get to the White House. I think she’s going to have to settle for the consolation prize of being that first female nominee.
Right now, I also still think she’s going to pick Corey Booker to be her VP, as he’s been doing all the things in recent years to make himself VP material on paper. But, as the conventions inch closer so many things can happen. I just don’t think her actually winning no matter what she does is going to be one of them.
[Click above to embiggen: Today’s Doom Antidote brought to you by random snaps of Chicago via Sassy Plants]
Some thoughts on the stories splashed across Drudge and Breitbart today that are upsetting to people:
1. Muslim colonists smuggled over the US border via Mexico. The first step towards solving this problem is to start referring to the people who move from one country to another with no intention of assimilating and following the laws of that country as COLONISTS, not “immigrants” or “migrants” or “visitors.” The act of coming to a place, disregarding all its laws, respecting none of its sovereignty, and then demanding that place change to suit your will is COLONIZATION…not immigration, not migration, not visiting (permanently). Colonization is the act of one group of people leaving their motherland and establishing a colony in a new place where that colony is intended to be a base camp that will be expanded in an effort of conquest. This has been happening for time immemorial. Though, for the first time in human history, advanced civilized Western nations are being colonized by dysfunctional cultures and peoples who carry with them a retrograde effect. At some point, there will be enough of a tipping point where people wake up that this is happening and the West is being colonized and taken over…and at that point there will be a bloody civil war with door-to-door fighting in the streets. That will happen in our lifetimes. It will start in Europe, in one of the smaller countries like the Netherlands or in a Nordic one, as Islam takes over. Europe will be “shocked” by what we see coming in 2016. As long as you see anyone using the word “migrants” you know that the immigration and demographic jihad is working and continuing according to plans, because until Westerners see this for what it really is — COLONIZATION — the West will not stop it or deal with it. We’re destined for this to be WW-3. The West against Islam and the Third World colonization efforts. The one bright spot in all of that is that the West will win, but not until all the bleeding heart loons who rule by emotion and live in a world of “should” (as in, this is how things should be…or this should be fine…or we should all be able to get along) are booted from any positions of power and influence. In Europe, I believe the Muslim colonization is being allowed as an excuse for the EU to form the Grand European Army and other aims of the globalists, who want to see chaos breaking out all over Europe so that people are willing to surrender their national sovereignties even more in the hopes of quelling the chaos with a continent-wide USE (United States of Europe) and a federal defense system and federal police forces and centralized USE power. That’s what this is all about: bringing in enough Muslim colonists to cause society to start to collapse, at which point the USE army would be needed to deal with the chaos. This is pretty much the plot of those Star Wars prequels, where Chancellor Palpatine created chaos so he could end the Galactic Republic and create the Empire. That is what is being done in Europe…with the Muslim colonists as useful tools for the USE masterminds. Those globalists believe they can the either eliminate or control Islam, but they are deeply, deeply wrong (because the first chance they get, Islam will turn on them). It’s not an optimistic future, granted, but I think saying aloud what is really going on and putting the pieces all together and talking about it is a step towards doing something about possibly preventing all of that needless suffering and destruction.
2. Jake Tapper at CNN is surprised that the government lies, destroys evidence, and then pretends whatever they want to ignore didn’t happen. On a local level, Megan Fox and I encountered this in Orland Park, Illinois when we investigated sex crimes (including child pornography being accessed and open public masturbation/sexually harassing women in the Library’s computer area) happening in that building. Unless the government is actively and aggressively supervised by We the People, government actors will lie, hide documents, aggressively redact documents, and pretend things didn’t happen. I can’t even tell you how many times Library and Village staff lied and claimed that the Child Porn Incident Report that we unearthed in FOIA production didn’t exist. That was a record that Library staffers allowed a man to view child pornography at computers in the Library and they chose not to call the police and instead just let him get away (on more than one occasion!). Whenever they were confronted by this, they would lie and say they didn’t know about that report or it didn’t exist…even if it was right in front of them! In another instance detailed in our book SHUT UP!, the Orland Park Police destroyed evidence from a police car dash cam because they didn’t want us hearing what the officer was saying. So, they just wiped the audio clean…and then basically said, “Prove we did that!” The government thinks it can get away with this kind of thing forever, but I don’t believe that is true. They will, however, keep getting away with it for as long as We the People are quiet and mousy and don’t rise up against this conduct. If the people are actively supervising their elected officials and policing corrupt police then this is the world we will always live in. If, however, we start waking up and paying attention and making it our hobbies (or, I’d argue, duties) to supervise our local government aggressively then I think we can turn the whole country around. We are in a bottom-up situation, where if we ever want Washington DC to change we have to start by changing Orland Park, then Cook County, then the state of Illinois, and the Washington. But the good news is that change on the local level takes a few years to accomplish. County and state level takes a little longer. But in our lifetime if we start now, we could theoretically live to see a day when Washington is cleaned up too. Provided, however, that we don’t always accept the status quo as the only “quo” there will ever be.
3. I really don’t know what to say about Hillary’s email scandal, except that she should have known better. I continue to believe that Hillary Clinton is one of the most interesting (and tragic) figures in American history and will be remembered as such. The 2008 campaign when she ran for president remains one of the high points of my entire life. My friends and I from the Hillary Days can laugh and reminisce and tell battle stories for hours…and the bonds from those days remain strong. But, none of us are involved in this 2016 race. I don’t think any of us will ever vote for a Democrat again. I can’t find any excuse for why Hillary Clinton was foolish enough to involve herself in this cockamamie email server business when she, above everyone, should have known better. The 2008 campaign by and large absolved her of every bad thing she had done up until then (and all that would have never been rehashed). She didn’t do much as Secretary of State worth remembering…though I know that Republicans want to blame Benghazi on her (when in my opinion that was Obama’s call not to send in military support when it was needed, as Hillary Clinton has at no point in history controlled the military). The email scandal is a self-inflicted wound and unforced error that is beneath her (and the Machiavellian genius she was always supposed to be). The Hillary that I got to know a little on the 2008 campaign trail is a very nice woman who couldn’t work a phone or a computer and had Huma doing all that. She couldn’t drive a car and she would be escorted everywhere she went, without having to worry about anything but smiling and waving and shaking hands and saying “thank you for your opinion” whenever someone said something horrible to her about why they felt she should have left her husband. She’s a very nice woman, whether you ever want to believe that or not. But, she also is a pathological liar who lies about stupid things and she won’t admit when she is wrong, which is disappointing. I will always believe that Huma was behind that email server, because it’s totally the kind of sneaky thing that Huma would do, but Hillary is too loyal to throw Huma under the bus. And that’s what’s really tragic and heartbreaking about Hillary Clinton’s lot in life. Despite everything that’s ever been thrown at her, she’s remained a funny and surprisingly nice person who is still friends with people she knew in kindergarten…but she surrounds herself with people who do really dumb things and she makes herself look dumb by first not stopping then and second by lying about the dumb things and creating a giant mess. Does anyone really want Huma loose in the White House doing whatever weird stuff she likes to do when this email server thing is a flashing neon danger sign that Team Hillary should not win this election. As much as the me from 2008 is pained to say that. It’s sadly the truth.
If you enjoy the writing here, Kevin DuJan and Megan Fox have a book available called SHUT UP! The Bizarre War that One Public Library Waged Against the First Amendment. Available on Amazon! When you read it, please tell us what you think as well. If local corruption and police abuse upsets you, then you will be shocked by what we uncovered in the Chicago suburbs.
[Some scenes around Chicago this week that I thought were pretty and posted to Sassy Plants]
The purpose of a “doom antidote” or “fear porn repellant” is to take a deep breath, cool down, and rationally ponder if what the tee-vee is screaming about today or what the headlines are bleeding is true…or if it is just hysteria ginned up for ratings. Being in front of the computer screen (or, worse, the tee-vee screen) for too long is bad for everyone. Listening to conspiracy theories (even the ones that are probably right) for hours on the radio in the dark is not healthy either. Sometimes, you need to pull yourself away, head outdoors, look for interesting (or, dare I dream…sassy!) things in nature to photograph, and enjoy the real world (not the fake, twisted, messed up Internet world).
After you collect yourself, take a look at the day’s headlines and ask yourselves if the weird fantasies and wish-casting being pushed by various pundits is real…or if it’s bad alternate universe fan-fiction (usually of the dystopian, worst-case-scenario possible bent).
Here are some thoughts on what’s plastered all over today (and why none of it is really the end of the world):
1. JK Rowling decided to emblacken (make a white character black in later versions of a work) Hermione Granger in the new Harry Potter play, “The Cursed Child,” despite Rowling using terminology in her books that clearly indicated that Granger was white. I think it’s insulting to black people when entertainment companies (or a beloved brand like Rowling) do this…because to me it means that black people are an afterthought to them and they only get the leftovers and hand-me-down characters. Rowling wanted to prove what a Big Thinker she was (and how enlightened she is!) by turning Hermione black retroactively, but really she’s just putting a big spotlight on how she didn’t bother to create a central black character in the Harry Potter books back when she had the chance in the 1990s. Making Hermione black now in a stage play seems stupid when the stage play could have created a new and original black character. Rowling is one of the most beloved people on the planet but I think all her billions and the nonstop gushing of praise on her has gotten to her head and she’s become one of the politically correct zombies that so infest Hollywood.
2. Bizarre Clickbait Fantasy #1: People saying that Hillary Clinton will not be the Democrats’ 2016 nominee. I was really surprised to see how strong Bernie Sanders’ support is, especially amongst gay people. Back in 2008, the gay guys I knew who didn’t support Hillary and were for Obama said in apologetic tone that they liked Hillary but thought it would be cool to have a black president, so they were voting for him instead. They promised in the future if Hillary ran again that they would back her…but almost every one of those people are really rabid for Bernie Sanders. That was a complete shock to me and indicates that their support for Obama was more than that they just wanted a hip, cool, black man as president…but that they have really strong Leftist leanings and that’s what they want government to be. Hillary gets pummeled by conservative writers all the time…but she’s not the radical Leftist dream candidate that Obama was and that Sanders would be. Which is why she is having so much trouble locking up this nomination. Democrats are in for a really rough fall no matter what happens, because those Sanders people are nasty…nastier even than the Obama acolytes were in the 2008 campaign. I have never seen hatred as strong as that being spewed by the Sanders crowd, who promise to essentially riot if Sanders is not the nominee. But, Democrats will never let him take the nomination from Hillary and permanently cement the DNC’s transformation into the Socialist Party. I am glad I am not a Democrat anymore because I would want no part in the quixotic fence-mending that needs to be attempted in Philadelphia when Hillary becomes the first female presidential nominee. The only thing that will save them is if Sanders becomes her VP, which I doubt the DNC would want but having him on the ticket is the only way that the Sanders thugs will be quieted.
3. Bizarre Clickbait Fantasy #2: Bill Kristol’s third party nonsense. Wasn’t 1992 clear enough? The way a Clinton wins the White House is for some kind of third party bid to siphon enough Republican votes away for Hillary to become the 45th President of the United States. If you don’t want that to happen, don’t do the Ross Perot Redux thing. I was in high school for that election and Ross Perot won our school’s mock election by a large swath. This fantasy of going third party is something that appeals to a lot of people. There’s a romance and rebellion in it. But, all it does is ensure the Clintons move back to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Do not kid yourself otherwise, no matter how noble you believe third party runs are…or how you wish you lived in a world where a third party win was possible. We do not live in that world. We live in the world where it has been proven that a third party candidate guarantees a Clinton wins the presidency.
4. Enough about the gorilla (let’s talk about how precious human life is instead): I find it stomach-turning that so much ink, column space, and tee-vee time is being devoted to one gorilla that was killed in a zoo (to save a human child) when so little attention is ever given to the millions of American children who are murdered every year by the ghouls at Planned Parenthood. I don’t want to even link to a story about the gorilla (even though I was sad he had to die, but a human child’s life must always take precedence over an animal’s)…so instead watch this video of how awful Planned Parenthood in Illinois is and how hypocritical all of this upset over a zoo animal is when the people upset don’t ever care about all the human children senselessly murdered for no reason.
Sometimes, it’s overwhelming how much craziness is pushed by the Dinosaur Media. It’s really toxic and unhealthy. But, if you remember that the media does this to keep everyone in a perpetual state of crippled, frost-fingered terror (because people are easier for the government to control that way…and ratings are higher that way) then I think life is so much more enjoyable and this election season doesn’t feel like the Fall of Western Civilization so much as a much-needed course correction that’s been eight years coming.
[Click above to embiggen: some of my nature photos, which I collect on the Sassy Plants Facebook page.]
One of my hobbies in the last few years has been taking pictures whenever I am out and about in Chicago and posting them to Facebook. Sometimes it upsets me that the Drudge headlines for Chicago are always about all the murders and the corruption here, when it’s a very lovely place.
So many people that I’ve known while I’ve been here are either moving away or have already left. A surprising number of Chicagoans (at least in Boystown) headed to Atlanta, in what felt like an exodus. Things are getting ridiculously expensive here, especially if you have a car. The City is so desperate for revenue that they keep coming up with new ways to tax or punish anyone who drives. It’s also expensive just taking the trains. A lot of people are being priced out…but, still others are feeling unsafe, largely because of how the news portrays the city. Then, of course, there’s that potential serial killer hunting the expressways…with something like 22 shootings so far that everyone on the ground thinks is one person (or a duo, like the Beltway Sniper) but the police just claim is random gang violence.
I never like hearing Chicago called “the next Detroit” because I don’t think that’s true. We’re in a strange period here because the City needs a tough as nails, tyrant of a Mayor to thrive…and Rahm Emanuel is a terrible Mayor. He’s really allowed this city to become a powder keg and his grip on power is so tenuous at this point that the sharks are circling for him. I think things will get worse before they get any better, as he doesn’t have sense enough to resign. So, the city will teeter on the precipice of chaos and ruin as long as he’s in office.
I’m not one of those people who wakes up in the morning and focuses on the impending apocalypse of the moment though. Chicago is a vibrant place full of talented and exceptional people, with a lot of beauty and advantages to living here. I think we’re in a national period of political collapse unlike anything seen in decades, but I don’t think that’s something to ruin your summer over. Too many people I’ve known in recent years have gotten sucked into FOX News on the tee-vee and the sky-is-falling! doom du jour and I just think that’s so unhealthy. I don’t know why anyone in their right mind even has cable, let alone watches cable news.
Get outside and enjoy the summer. Turn off the tee-vee and plug it for a week and see if you really miss it. If you like watching sports, find a cool sports bar or restaurant and watch the games there with other people and make new friends. Or, even better, find a local college and watch all the baseball or other sports you want for free when the college teams play and practice in a field near you.
Stimulate your mind by picking a local board of some kind and looking into and reporting on what it has been doing. Go to their meetings and become a regular speaker during public comment. Ask questions, and keep asking them until the public body gives you answers. Use Freedom of Information Act requests to dig up all their dirt. You can laugh, but it’s really a fun hobby studying these local boards. Megan Fox and I have been doing it for three years now and we juggle about a dozen boards now that we monitor, audit their spending, and bust the bad board members who are up to no good. Library boards were the subject of our first book…and the one we’re writing now is about village boards. We have material for a full series of books based on just the last three years of attending board meetings and investigating things that the Dinosaur Media refuses to investigate.
If you love politics, I guess my point is that you should get involved in your local area’s politics and don’t let the FOX News talking points rule your day. I just got done talking a friend off the ledge who was crazed today about Brad Thor and Glenn Beck. I have met Brad Thor several times at different Tea Pary events in Chicago and I’ve always liked him; I can’t imagine he’s someone who would ever want to assassinate a president (or anyone). But, I question why a fiction writer is being interviewed so often about politics when Thor is wired to write Richard Castle-like fictional thrillers. That’s how he’s programmed. I write satire and have jokes in everything I write, which is also how I speak. I give Thor the benefit of the doubt that his wiring to write thrillers creeps into how he speaks on the fly.
Doing interviews is hard because so much focus is on speaking well, carrying yourself well on camera, listening to what the interviewer is saying and responding, and sometimes the human brain is not as fast on the uptake as it should be. I’ve told jokes that bombed in interviews, or I messed them up by slurring a word or mispronouncing something. It’s hard to be spot-on every time. I regret that Brad Thor is being pilloried in so many places when I can say that the guy I’ve met a few times and had some good conversations with is a very nice man who is not the monster that he is being made out to be by opportunists.
But, this is what happens when people get so cranked up about what they see on cable news, which is desperate for ratings. They bring on a fiction writer of thrillers and then take advantage of an awkward exchange he engaged in (which sounds like a plot point from one of his books)…and then for a week very nice people are upset all day over something that doesn’t have much real bearing on them. There’s so much more to life that this energy could be spent on.
I have never been happier than I am focusing on local matters in Chicagoland and trying to oust bad board members, reduce spending waste, and change bad local policies. I am so much more fulfilled doing this than I ever was focusing on the national political circus. I loved writing the book SHUT UP! The Bizarre War that One Public Library Waged Against the First Amendment and am enjoying working on my second book with Megan Fox, which I hope to have on Amazon by the end of summer.
I am challenging myself to find something every week about Chicago that I’ve never done, never been to, never experienced and enjoying it (snapping pictures all the way for Sassy Plants). I love enjoying nature wherever it’s found in this urban setting. My goal is to make a bunch of new friends, have some fun times, and bust a handful more terrible boards this summer. I want to see as many live theater shows as I can, read as much as I can, and continue writing my own books with Megan.
This is going to be a great summer, in Chicago and everywhere. In the fall, we’ll elect a new president…and the world is not going to end. Sorry if that’s a spoiler. I think it’s exciting that for the first time ever it really feels like the Establishment is collapsing and the public is revolting against the status quo. This is a good thing. And we will all survive no matter how it shakes out. I have a true sense of peace about that. For some reason, my friend really needed to hear this today and I talked him down off his ledge so I shared the same sentiments here with you.
Back in 2008, I started writing this site because it was easier just to do this than to talk many people I knew off ledges during the crazy primary campaign that year. I have always had a love/hate relationship running this site because it takes so much out of me and when doing it I am unable to do other things that are more fun or enjoyable to me. For a while I’ve felt that the Internet has become an irredeemably nasty and foul place that does little good. It wasn’t like this back in 2008. I think it was the rise of smart phones and the abundance of Millennials (who are quick to attack and try to censor any opinion they don’t like) and the spur-of-the-moment immediacy of our culture today. In many ways, the Internet became incredibly toxic. I think possibly the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way, though.
I have so many mixed feelings about this coming election. I plan to start sharing them, which is hard because there is so much to process. These might be the strangest days that Americans have ever lived through. We will survive them, but the strangeness of it all will definitely be something for the history books.
What think you?