[Click above to embiggen: one of the rewards offered for information leading to the conviction of Seth Rich’s murderer. It’s doubtful anyone will ever come forward because it seems likely that Rich was murdered either to keep the DNC’s secrets or to punish him for handing over information to WikiLeaks. This was not a random street crime that anyone witnessed; it was a premeditated and intentional hit job/assassination.]
One of the few movies I own on DVD and watch on a regular basis is the 1993 Julia Roberts thriller The Pelican Brief, which was based off a John Grisham novel of the same name. I like it so much that no matter what stupid things Julia Roberts says or does in real life, I can still watch and enjoy her in this movie. The same goes for Denzel Washington. They were perfectly cast in roles they thrived-in and the movie zips along through twist after twist, leading to one of the best endings to any political movie I’ve ever seen (where Washington/Roberts make a series of phone calls from a news room informing various bad guys that their house of cards is collapsing and there’s not a damn thing they can do about it). Take that, Skeletor!
The 1990s were great for legal thrillers (a genre that Hollywood lost interest in long ago but that remains my favorite kind of movie) and the very best of them all were the Grisham film adaptations. His early books were all centered around these elaborate conspiracies where organized crime, corrupt government officials, and unscrupulous business interests intersected. Grisham’s heroes were always plucky lawyers, law students, or other decent people who stumbled by accident into the story of the century (that no reporter wanted to tell). Murder was used to silence people when they got in the way of the plot, whatever that particular plot involved. The bad guys were always tripped up in some clever way and the schemes collapsed in the end.
After watching The Pelican Brief again last night (and marveling at how well it holds up, all these years later), I’m struck by just how many John Grisham conventions are alive and well in the 2016 presidential election. I remember when the movie first came out, around Christmas in 1993, and how back then the thought of the government being involved in murder plots seemed so outrageous and unthinkable. In the 1990s, people still talked about Watergate and everything the Nixon White House did…and we of course at that point had the Iran-Contra mess and the Clintons’ Whitewater saga and Travelgate and all of that…but people at the highest levels of government casually murdering people on US soil was a totally alien concept, a peek into BizarroWorld. We lived in America — the United States — not a South American banana republic where the government behaved that way and got away with it.
I’m torn on whether or not the Grisham style political thriller is even fun anymore or if our world has gotten so surreal and strange in the last few years that we might not still even need fiction like this. Maybe that’s why Hollywood stopped making these Pelican Brief sort of movies. They aren’t needed because people can just flip on the news and see something even more bizarre than Grisham could ever conceive.
I tend to believe that what we are experiencing is not an increase in bizarre murder plots…but that we’re just hearing about these kinds of things and are able to connect the dots in 2016 in ways we never could before, due to social media mainly. Perhaps the government has always been killing people like this and the Media would just not report on it…and anyone who put some of the pieces together would just be called crazy and told to shut up. People can be scared easily into being quiet. There was a quote somewhere that I can’t find now attributed to Bill Clinton at some point where he bemoaned the rise of the Internet and how it made it harder to control the narrative. Politicians liked it much better when the Media controlled what people were allowed to know. Everything was much easier to spin and cover-up than it is now. But, even with all the access to information, it still feels like we’re putting puzzle pieces together in the dark (while forces in our own government endeavor to keep us from ever figuring it all out). None of this is exciting or fun the way it is in a movie or book. It’s all pretty exhausting and soul-crushing. We’re really in uncharted territory as a country, because our real-life political process now seems ripped from the pages of a political thriller.
Did anyone want this? I didn’t sign up for this. Don’t look at me, I was the one perfectly happy watching Pelican Brief once in a while. I didn’t need any of the following to keep me entertained:
1. How stupid does the government think we are, like we can’t see that people are clearly being murdered all over the place because the government wants them murdered? John Grisham books have a lot of murders in them. The Pelican Brief starts off with the assassination of two SCOTUS Justices. One of them was an ancient man who was the arch-Leftist Justice on the court…and the other was a closeted gay Justice. Since the movie came out in 1993, the gay Justice was murdered in a sleazy porno theater and when the president learned of the assassination he was told that the Justice was killed in “some queer club.” The president then makes a weird remark later about being willing to attend his funeral anyway, even though he was “like that” or something to that effect. It’s really interesting watching how differently movies from when I was in high school treated gay people compared to today…no way they would have gotten away with any of this now. After those two assassinations, there are a lot of other murders too. An environmental lawyer figures out that the firm he works for is linked to the assassinations and he makes a videotape revealing everything he knows (and then hides the tape in a safety deposit box). He’s murdered, of course…and the tape becomes a McGuffin that Washington/Roberts have to find. Other people are murdered who don’t really know much, but just kind of got in the way here and there. Because the people doing all the killing are so closely linked to the White House, they don’t even bother to make any of this stuff look like accidents or suicides or anything. They blow people up, shoot them in broad daylight, etc.
Comparison to 2016: This is pretty obvious, because people keep dropping like flies if they seem like they get in the way of Democrats keeping the White House. Seth Rich appears to be a Democrat staffer who was handing over secrets to WikiLeaks, so he was murdered and nobody even bothered to make it look like a robbery or anything. They just killed him in the street early in the morning, left his wallet/phone/watch/money, and then figured the Media would never ask any questions. Shortly after the murder, WikiLeaks released the DNC’s emails…which showed that the primaries were rigged for Hillary. The list of other people murdered recently is long…and I think should include both Justice Scalia and also Andrew Breitbart. Though he died in 2012, I’ve always felt he was murdered because of all the bizarre ancillary deaths surrounding his demise. The medical examiner who looked at his body suddenly died. Other people who had questioned his death died. Witnesses disappeared. All of this is lifted right out of John Grisham novels. A sitting SCOTUS Justice mysteriously dying but no one doing an autopsy and his death being confirmed over the phone is all just so bizarre…and convenient in an election year when Scalia would have been the deciding vote on cases that would have hurt Democrats leading into the fall. Former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland (who would have been Hillary’s VP in 2008 if she won the nomination then and was allowed to choose someone besides Barack Obama as her VP), who is running for the Senate this year, said today that Justice Scalia “died at a good time” for Democrats. Great Merciful Zeus, that is blatant. Oh, and remember John Ashe? His murder-that-the Media-pretends-was-not-a-murder happened in June. He supposedly died “accidentally” when a dumbbell crushed his neck. So, the day he was supposed to give an interview to the FBI about Hillary Clinton and some Chinese billionaire, he “accidentally” has a dumbbell fall on him that crushes his windpipe and asphyxiates him? How convenient for the Clintons.
What’s really happening: I really don’t know how anyone can, with a straight face, claim that all these people aren’t being murdered because the Left and the government (which are now one and the same) want them to be murdered. I think that Scalia and Breitbart were killed by real professionals, though I don’t know who those would be. Breitbart was clearly poisoned by someone in that bar in Beverly Hills…and then collapsed on the street and died. Someone put something in his drink; then, that same someone or a team of someones erased other people who were suspicious about the death. Scalia was murdered by pros as well…and maybe the government didn’t want to admit he was murdered because they are afraid of how the public will react to that. In movies like The Pelican Brief, the public never riots after these assassinations are announced. But how would people react in our world to news that Justice Scalia was murdered in his bed the night before? Could America handle several months of “whodunnit”? I feel that Seth Rich and John Ashe were murdered by amateurs who are not at CIA-level…because their deaths were so sloppy. The CIA would have taken Rich’s phone/wallet/keys/etc. to fake the robbery. Crushing someone with a dumbbell is such a ridiculous murder that could have used a lead pipe or a candlestick. All of these recent deaths should make people wonder about Vince Foster and other people through the years who mysteriously died or allegedly killed themselves. Did Ron Brown’s plane really go down by accident, or was he killed too? Why was he killed? Clearly the FBI has no interest in solving any of this, because Director Comey made it clear that the FBI intends to let the powerful elite in this country get away with doing whatever it is they want to do. I feel like we’ve reached a point, though, where any thinking person with a memory going back at least a few years should see that these patterns of deaths are not normal. This is not a conspiracy theory from a movie but is in fact an actual real life CONSPIRACY involving murderous criminal enterprises leading all the way to Washington and back.
2. The institutions (like the FBI) that we are supposed to trust have revealed themselves to all be untrustworthy. In The Pelican Brief movie, the FBI Director is a generic-looking dark-haired white guy who does what people tell him to do and doesn’t want to make waves. Boy, does that sound familiar. At one point, the president tells him to stop investigating someone because the FBI is getting too close and there’s an election coming. Where have we heard this before? The FBI decides to back down because the White House wants the FBI to back down…and the FBI Director forgets his oath of office and just ignores criminal activity for political reasons. Imagine that!
Comparison to 2016: If you’ve never seen the movie, you have to watch it. It’s exactly like what FBI Director Comey did with Hillary Clinton. He was told by the White House to back down and not push for indictment and he backed down. In my opinion, Comey should have stood there and told the truth, he should have said that he was pressured to do nothing and let Hillary skate, and he should have (like in a really good movie) said he was resigning in protest and should have asked every decent FBI employee who believed in their oath to walk out of the building with him. Can you even imagine if he had done that? The visual of it…seen from a helicopter or drone…hundreds of men and women in suits walking out of the Hoover building all at once, leaving their desks, protesting the politicization of the Bureau and the abandonment of Justice. Hillary would have had to exit the presidential race that day. The Clinton Foundation would have closed its doors that week. Comey could have marched over to Capitol Hill and had an audience with the Senate to spill all the beans, warning everyone that he feared for his life because he didn’t want to turn up mysteriously dead or crushed by a dumbbell or a victim of some supposed robbery or whatever. It would have been history-making. And, of course, Comey and everyone who left would have gotten their jobs back after the Senate hearings. Comey could have landed a multi-million dollar book deal and run for any office he wanted. He could have been a future president himself. If only he had the testicular fortitude that day to stand up and be a man and not a mouse and not let the Left get away with what they did. It’s sad, but not even in movies do we ever get the kind of FBI Director that the country really needs. In John Grisham books, the directors are as wimpy as the ones in real life. Sigh.
3. The Media lies all the time, including lying by omission when it refuses to report on things the Left does not want reported. In John Grisham books, all kinds of people try to stop the truth from coming out. If they are not trying to murder someone to keep secrets, they try to convince the truth tellers that it’s too dangerous to speak the truth, that the country can’t handle the truth, or that “you can’t say things like that, you will be sued!” or whatever. In The Pelican Brief, Denzel Washington played this really awesome reporter who was fearless (and really, really good at his job). He was as much Clark Kent as he was Woodward and/or Bernstein. But even he had idiots trying to stop him from writing the big story because the people he was writing about were too powerful to be challenged.
Comparison to 2016: Why the Hell isn’t the Media writing about all of Hillary Clinton’s bizarre and obvious medical problems? For crying out loud! She gave a speech in Los Angeles recently where she was standing on a cement square and lost her balance, so two large men had to come and prop her up. They literally held her up so she would not topple over. That is not normal. She never did anything like that in 2008. It clearly happens all the time, because these men are WAITING for it to happen and stand there READY to leap in and save her. Dr. Susan Berry has a great write-up in Breitbart all about how bizarre it is that the Media refuses to talk about Hillary’s weird inability to climb stairs sometimes, the men who rush in to calm her when she’s having freak-outs at events, the seizures she seems to have at times when she’s standing up, etc. I note that the Media deliberately kept John F. Kennedy’s health secrets and they covered for Franklin D. Roosevelt too.
What’s really happening: The Media feels good about itself for keeping secrets to help Democrats. There is no other way to see it. The people who work for these publications feel it is part of their duty to help the Democrat win…and they take pride and pleasure in doing that. While they are writing their stories, they choose what facts to include and what things to omit. They choose what words to use to most effectively carry the message they want carried. Everything they do is deliberate. It is all designed to make the Democrat win and the Republican lose. Reporters will pass up breaking the story of a lifetime because they would never be okay with themselves emotionally for harming a Democrat…and I bet they fear reprisal and ostracizing by their peers in the Media if they wrote a story that took down the first female candidate with a real shot at winning the White House. So they will deliberately keep ignoring anything that hurts Hillary’s chances in November.
4. Supposedly “private” foundation caught working hand in glove with State Department for financial benefit of public officials. This is another outrage that the Media will ignore but could be the story of the century if anyone in the Media was interested in being the next Woodward/Bernstein. In John Grisham books, entities get away with abusing power and authority until one day they don’t. There’s someone who comes along and puts a stop to it all. It’s never anyone powerful. It’s always some smart, clever, little person from nowhere who puts the pieces together and brings the whole house of cards crashing down. In The Pelican Brief, there was a scene where Denzel Washington was doodling on paper in his Marriott hotel room in New York. He thought about things and was able to draw a flowchart linking the deaths of various people to a company and some other entity and that led to the White House. Once he had his road map, he set out proving his theory. Spoiler alert: he was right!
Comparison to 2016: Every day, it’s increasingly more clear that the Clinton Foundation is indefensible and that it mostly exists as a criminal enterprise. The Clintons unabashedly appear to have used Hillary’s time at the State Department to engage in all sorts of money-making ventures from which the Clintons personally benefitted. Someone went beyond drawing a flow chart and actually drew a whole COMIC BOOK explaining all the terrible things that the Clinton Foundation has been up to over the years. For people who don’t read good or who bore easily, a comic book was a genius idea. It distills so many years of corruption into an easy-to-understand reference. I just ordered my copy from Amazon and I can’t wait to get it.
What’s really happening: For the life of me, I don’t know why the Clintons have done all of the things they have done since 2008. None of it makes any damn sense to me. I am angry with them both. They are two of the stupidest people who have ever lived to have wasted their time on this planet grubbing for money and trading influence the way they have done. Their book sales alone were more than enough for them to live like royalty for the rest of their lives. They have Secret Service protection forever, they get an allowance for staff and office space, they have Bill’s presidential library, several foundations, etc. They could have made more money sitting on various boards if they really wanted more income…and they could have made speeches forever raking in money from that at $25,000 or $50,000 a pop or whatever. How much money do these two people need? It’s horrifying to think of how easy it seems to have been for the two of them to do whatever it is the Chinese or Saudis wanted in order for the Clintons to get a few million more here or there. If what’s in Clinton Cash is true, and it very much appears to be true, then the Clintons had no love of country or respect for their roles in American history as a former First Family…and they just did whatever was asked of them in order for them to get more money. I just don’t understand any of it. It all makes me so sick. I can’t wrap my head around what’s wrong with either of them. It’s like they are being blackmailed while being paid huge sums…or maybe it’s just that they really are bad people at heart and as terrible as it is to be forced to admit that, it’s just plain true.
5. Terrorists and clear enemies of the state allowed into country to cause mischief that benefits certain people politically. In The Pelican Brief, a Muslim assassin was allowed into the country so that he could come assassinate the SCOTUS Justices that needed to be assassinated for the powerful elite in the book/movie to get what they wanted. Later, that same Muslim was allowed back in because more people had to be killed to keep all the secrets, including Denzel Washington’s and Julia Roberts’ characters. So, the government deliberately disregards common sense and lets dangerous and/or evil people to infiltrate America because these Muslims serve a purpose in the chess game that the elite are playing. No one cares how many innocent people are harmed or are killed by the Muslim. As long as the elite get to move their chess pieces around as they please.
Comparison to 2016: Clearly, the father of Muslim Orlando Shooter Omar Mateen was invited by someone in the Hillary campaign to stand behind her in a highly visible way during her event near Orlando this week. This didn’t happen by accident. Seddique Mateen, the father of the Muslim mass-murderer, says that Hillary’s campaign invited him to come and so he did. No one gets to sit in the VIP section like Mateen did without staffers putting him there. The people chosen to sit in that section are chosen because they are VIPs or they serve some DIVERSITY! purpose (where they are black, Hispanic, Asian, gay, or some other minority that looks great on camera behind a candidate who wants her supporters to seem as DIVERSE! as possible). Mateen did not get on that stage by accident. He was put there.
What’s really happening: Hell if I know. This one’s the big mystery for me this week, because I don’t know what Hillary gains by having done this. I know that Huma Abedin had to have signed off on Seddique Mateen being put up there because she would have been alerted to his presence and she could have stopped him going up there if she wanted to. I personally feel that Huma, as a Muslim, would want to put the father of a Muslim “martyr” up on the stage, as Muslims tend to honor the parents of Muslim men who commit mass-murders that further the interests of Islam. Muslims stick together. If Huma saw that Mateen’s father was going to be at the event, Huma would want to honor him by placing him on the stage because this is what Huma was taught to do culturally as a Saudi Arabian Muslim. It’s as simple as that. Perhaps Huma didn’t think anyone would recognize him. Or, maybe she wanted people to recognize him in the Muslim community and this was some kind of signal to them that Hillary supports Islam no matter how many gays Islam kills on US soil. Having the father of a mass-murderer standing behind her to me feels like it’s a message to Muslims that the killing of gays will be allowed and overlooked and that Muslims will never be held accountable for committing these atrocities in the West. It might have been a message showing Muslims, “See! No matter what you do there is a place for you in the Democrat Party. We are your party. Kill as many gays as you want! Don’t worry, we’ve got more. But we need your Muslim votes!”
Another interesting theory about Mateen’s appearance is that someone who wanted to sabotage Hillary placed Mateen there to give her a nightmare headache. That this was slipped through somehow to embarrass the campaign, according to that line of thought. Back in 1978, before he was exposed as a serial killer, John Wayne Gacey posed for a photo with First Lady Rosalyn Carter that later embarrassed her. Did someone set Hillary Clinton up for an embarrassment of her own by having the father of a mass-murderer standing right behind her, smiling and nodding and agreeing with her during a campaign speech?
We live in such a messed up period of history right now. Political correctness makes people terrified to speak the truth half of the time. Then there’s the fear that if someone does speak up, the violent Social Justice Warriors and value-signaling Internet trolls will attack and destroy someone’s life, get them fired, and take away their livelihood if they have a differing opinion. We’ve crossed into a new age of totalitarianism where the Left aggressively punishes anyone who opposes them…and that has metastasized into a culture where the Left openly murders people because it knows that everyone is so scared and on edge that people won’t speak out. Several decades of importing Third World colonists into our country has made America start to resemble a banana republic in South America, where the government kills people, frightens and intimidates people, and uses the Media to lie to people as propagandists…and no one is allowed to talk about that or have any sort of problem with it.
We’ve surpassed the John Grisham books in terms of what the government gets away with. Grisham never had a book where so many crazy things were happening all at once and the odds were so stacked against Americans. This is all unprecedented.
I believe, however, that John Grisham was right in thinking that plucky individuals can/will collapse the house of cards that the Left and the government and their Media enablers build together. These people can’t kill everyone. Eventually they kill the wrong person, in such a sloppy way, that even the most shameless shills in the Media realize the jig is up and it’s time to let the house of cards collapse.
I have a feeling that between now and November this is going to happen in a spectacular way. I also suspect that WikiLeaks has something planned for the October Surprise to end all October Surprises (provided no one drops dumbbells on Julian Assange between now and then).
If you enjoy reading the writing on this site, please consider hitting the tip jar to keep us going.
© 2016, Kevin DuJan. All rights reserved.
Help HillBuzz by Shopping Amazon
I look forward to your comments. Please follow these simple guidelines:
- Please do not complain about your comment not yet showing up
- Stay on topic of the article ("This is OT, but..." = bad!)
- I will STING if you troll, spam, bait, swear or attack someone