[Click above to embiggen: Democrats don’t want a southern border wall that would keep out terrorists, drugs, and criminals…but the Democrat elite must have a giant wall to keep themselves separated from rabble at their own convention.]
For complete notes on the live stream of Day One of the Convention, click here. What follows are 5 takeaway observations from the night, reflecting back on it the next morning while waiting for Round Two to begin.
1. Democrats had a giant blue wall around the stage, made from metal barricades that were wrapped in material leftover from Michelle Obama’s convention dress (which was, admittedly, lovely on her). The irony/hypocrisy of this is almost as glaring as Paul Ryan’s own border wall around his mansion in Janesville, Wisconsin. Why do the politicians who refuse to build a wall on the US southern border to keep terrorists, drugs, and criminals out of our country all build walls to separate themselves from undesirables (however they define them)? The Democrat Party elite didn’t want the stinky, sweaty rabble in the Wells Fargo Bank convention center getting too close to their august personages…so a mighty wall was erected to maintain order and respect the rules of the convention and assure the safety of the privileged speakers. Paul Ryan built a big wall around his massive mansion, saying he wanted to keep his kids and dogs and family safe from whoever is on the other side of the wall. Everyone seems to agree that walls are great things…but America is not allowed to have a wall because America is not allowed to be a sovereign nation and must become something more like a bus station or waiting room for the UN. What madness is that?
2. Michelle Obama was lovely and showed that she’s made great progress in the role of First Lady…and then she ruined it for herself. Giving a speech at Hillary Clinton’s nominating convention would — I imagine — be one of the worst nights of Michelle Obama’s life. The Obamas and the Clintons hate each other, but will always need each other. The rumor is that Michelle has political aspirations of her own and wants to become a US Senator here in Illinois someday, when Dick Durbin retires. She will need the Clintons and whatever influence they have left in the future to make that happen and raise money for her. The Obamas also don’t want to be blamed for doing anything that could be seen retroactively as contributing to Hillary losing in November. So, Michelle had to come out and give a nice speech for Hillary…but the speech she gave is not the one she should have given. Michelle seems to be doing a much better job of hiding her true self and covering up her natural nastiness. The real Michelle will always be the one who hates America, is bitter and resentful (though she can never articulate why), and who feels entitled. Eight years of wagyu beef and lobster and living in a big mansion full of white servants has not softened Michelle in any way. Perhaps it’s even made her innate nastiness worse. At the start of her speech, she hid all of that though. She smiled…and be fair to her and admit she has a lovely smile. She wore normal, human clothes instead of some bizarre Halloween costume. The wig she chose for the night was stylish and fun, without being strange in any way. Her makeup was clearly applied by females who knew what they were doing, instead of by amateur drag queens experimenting for the first time. She started out by giving a nostalgic talk about her girls adjusting to life in the White House and then skipping ahead to eight years later and where the family is now. That was all very nice. She nearly choked when she had to call Hillary Clinton her friend, because nobody believes that is true. So why say it? I would have gone a totally different way if I was her. What if Michelle had done a speech where she talked about what a pain in the ass Hillary was to the Obamas in 2008 and how it was so hard to beat her back then? Michelle could have talked about that Obama/Clinton war for the nomination and how Hillary and her supporters hung in there until the very end, with Hillary winning more votes in the primary race than Obama did. Michelle could have said that going up against Hillary was tougher than either of the general elections for the Obamas (which is true, as neither McCain nor Romney put up the kind of fight that Hillary did in the 2008 primaries). All of that would have reminded people of a different Hillary, a better Hillary…the one that existed 8 years ago that even Republicans begrudgingly came to respect. Michelle could have said something like, “I don’t know about you, but I am going to pop myself some organic heirloom popcorn and watch the fireworks when Hillary and Trump go at each other. I am going to cheer and laugh and take in the fight of the century. I am just glad that my husband and I don’t have anything to do with any of this.” It could have been a funny speech, acknowledging various elephants in the room. I think she could have done a lot to maybe channel he Sanders cult’s rage/disappointment into party unity. But, maybe that wasn’t her goal. I’m not sure what her goal was, because her speech was so disjointed. One part nostalgic reminiscence. One part unbelievable yarn about being friends with Hillary. And then a finale involving weird, angry, jabs at Donald Trump. I don’t think First Ladies should do the brawling or punching at these conventions. Let other surrogates do that. First Ladies should come out and bring some warmth, humor, and personal stories. Whether they frown and grimace on the inside or not, on the outside the First Ladies should be smiling and pleasant…not angry. Michelle let her angry side come out, which very well may be her real side and actual permanent face…but I enjoyed being surprised by how nice and pleasant she was for a few moments. I wish she had done her whole speech with that mask on, because it was beautifully made and elegantly worn. No one needed to see the classless, angry, bitter Michelle that revealed itself at the end before she stomped off the stage like Dennis Rodman in heels.
3. Lots of shouting in Spanish. I don’t know what Democrats achieve with this, but they do a lot of it. They bring a lot of Spanish-speakers onto the stage to shout in Spanish into the microphone. I hate listening to Spanish. For America to work, we need to be a melting pot. People come here from all over the world and the first thing they need to do to assimilate is to leave their old languages behind. Clinging to Spanish and refusing to learn English helps no one. All it does is create parallel societies that divide us. Democrats clearly want those divisions to exist and deepen, which is why they don’t want immigrants to learn English and do everything they can to ensure that they never learn English. Spanish is the language of poverty. No Spanish-speaking country has its act together. Everywhere that Spanish is spoken, there is crushing poverty…and the people who live there want to leave and come here, where we speak English. There’s a direct correlation between speaking Spanish and being poor and dysfunctional. When Democrats have speakers who switch to Spanish for part of their speeches, it feels like they are saying something else to the Spanish crowd and sending a different message. It feels duplicitous. In addition to saying that they clearly do not want the Spanish-speakers to ever learn English, Democrats also communicate that they openly say one thing to this group and another thing to that other group, in a very two-faced and fork-tongued way. Every time they do this, it’s another reminder of why I will never vote for another Democrat for as long as I live.
4. The Bernie Cult has a reason to be upset. I really feel for the Bernie Sanders supporters. They must be in a living hell right now. Those of us who supported Hillary Clinton back in 2008 were on the receiving end of a lot of Alinsky attacks from the Obama people during the primaries 8 years ago. Things got nasty, and the DNC intervened and gave Obama the win. Hillary supporters felt screwed over and many of us left the party for good. Others, however, stayed and decided to play nice for 8 years until Hillary had another chance. While we suspected that the DNC rigged things for Obama, we never had the kind of hard proof that the Sanders people have in their hands today. The DNC Leaks emails are staggering. But, what they don’t show is something I suspect: in that Bernie Sanders was in on all of it from the beginning. Hillary Clinton very clearly wanted to run against someone who would make her look young in comparison…and who would make her look like the sane choice in the race. I believe that the Clintons and the DNC put Bernie Sanders up to running so that he would be her opponent, whom she would beat in a staged and choreographed race. She needed to run against someone…and that someone had to be a person who would make Hillary look like the obvious choice, so that she could finally receive the nomination she felt the DNC took away from her in 2008. Sanders is at the end of his life and the attention of running for president would be something he would relish…and if Hillary would win the presidency, no doubt Sanders would get some sort of appointment to make him happy for his last days. But then the unthinkable happened and Sanders caught on…and it all went to his head. Sanders will never admit to his cult that he was in on losing from the beginning and that he was always supposed to lose to Hillary. His cult truly believes that he had a shot to win, when this race was always as rigged as a carnival game. I actually felt bad watching the special Sanders snowflakes melting in the lights of the convention center, tears streaming down their faces. They were crushed…and crushed in a way that us Hillary 2008 supporters were not crushed. We were mad at the DNC for rigging things for Obama…but we realized at the end of the day that Hillary was just outsmarted and outmaneuvered. Our comfort was the belief that Hillary would wisely use the next 4 or 8 years to plot her comeback and make it impossible for her to be defeated ever again. Instead, Hillary betrayed the people who believed in her and hoped in her…and she engaged in all of the lying, games-playing, and foolishness of the last 8 years that caused so many of her loyalists to abandon her. All of this is so very tragic. The lies and deceit that the Clintons and the DNC continue to engage in are just too much. Politics does not have to be this way. The Democrat Party does not have to be run this way. Voters deserve better. America deserves better. We should not be a country where our political nominating system seems like something Eva Peron or others in banana republics would have devised. We are not supposed to operate like a South or Central American country. We are the United States, not Venezuela or Brazil or Argentina. It’s truly sickening how shameless everyone who holds power has become. And it’s sad that the Sanders cult, many of them very young and naive, got such a shockingly clear exposure to gross corruption at such young ages.
5. Booing! I couldn’t believe the amount of booing that went on last night. It felt like nonstop booing from beginning to end. They even booed during the prayers! I have never seen people more poorly behaved during a political convention. It shouldn’t come as any shock, but the Left really has taken over the party and it’s held control for so long that the Democrats’ internal culture has changed. There are no longer any grown-ups running things. There are no longer big burly guys who can keep the people in line so that they don’t boo and make a scene for the tee-vee cameras. There are no chiefs overseeing the Indians (which is ironic, because Elizabeth Warren was in the house, oh she of the high cheekbones and the famed Native American faux-ancestry). Saul Alinsky is looking up from some pit in Hell and grinning…because his “radicals” indeed took over the Democrat Party. The fact that the various state delegations either could not or would not stop the booing and control their members was telling. The DNC is really off the rails. It’s obvious for anyone who wants to see that. It will be interesting to see if they can get back on message with Day Two. Remember that one of the big advantages Democrats have always had is their discipline. Republicans are always like herding cats…but Democrats usually fall in line and listen to whatever the party tells them to do. Last night, Democrats were stunned and didn’t know how to deal with cat-herding. If this keeps up for the rest of the week and goes into the general election, Democrats are in real trouble. The Alinsky wing of the party will at that point be the entire party…and within it various Alinsky groups appear to want to out-Alinsky each other. There’s no way for anyone to stop that aside from just letting them all set their fires, tear and burn things to the ground, and then rebuild the party in the future. It’s all unchartered territory…and it couldn’t be happening to a more deserving group of people.
What do you think?
© 2016, Kevin DuJan. All rights reserved.
Help HillBuzz by Shopping Amazon
I look forward to your comments. Please follow these simple guidelines:
- Please do not complain about your comment not yet showing up
- Stay on topic of the article ("This is OT, but..." = bad!)
- I will STING if you troll, spam, bait, swear or attack someone